Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of engineering to study?

Options
  • 24-02-2005 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm a first year undenominated Eng student in UCD. At the end of first year I'm gonna have to choose what type of engineering to study for my degree, but I can't decide, and I need help!

My mind is split evenly between Electronic Eng and Mechanical Eng. I'll explain why i'm thinking this so far.

This year we've had the oppurtunity to enter a programmeable robot design competition and it's has made me interested in doing elec eng, which I wouldn't previously have considered. I've also enjoyed Computer Science.

Mech eng was what I'd originally envisaged myself doing, because of my interest in cars etc, but now it seems to be more about materials and manufacturing than mechanical objects.

Could anyone give me any advice about what to choose, or even try to persuade me one way or the other, cos I'm really stuck at the moment.

Which type of engineering is better? 32 votes

Electronic
    0% 0 votes
    Mechanical
    100% 32 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

are you talking about robocode? that goddamn owns!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I'm not sure how trinity works in their engineering dept, but in UL electronic and mechanical are totally different faculties, never mind courses. I did electronic/computer engineering a start and dropped out and transferred into mechanical because I hated electronic. But that's just me.

Electronic engineering was more virtually based, dealing with ICs, PLCs, semi conducter physics etc. whereas mechanical is more physically orientated. Yes there is a materials aspect to it, which is important, but we also did Technical drawing, built a cam in metal work and this year we're working on 3d cad. Obviously these aren't all the modules, there is alot of mechanics (obviously) mechanics of solids, mechanics of machines, engineering mechanics etc which, although tedious I find alot more interesting than anything in electronic engineering.

Then again it's all down to personal interest. So what you find interesting mightn't be the same as me. But just remember electronic and mechanical are two very very different courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I'm in 4th Elec Eng in UCD at the moment, and i've enjoyed it all the way, but then i always wanted to do Elec.

My gut feeling is that your better off with mech since engines/cars is your thing, and not electronics. The roborugby project really isn't indicative of the kind of stuff you'll be doing for the remaining 3 years, the lab work involves a lot of fiddling with wires, looking at oscilliscopes and of course, everyone's favourite, solving equations.

If comp science is your fav subject though, you'll get more of it in elec. you'll also get more maths and quantum physics

I can't say how much of mech is engines and how much of it is materials, but i would think it's mostly boring equations of all sorts just like all types of engineering. Also i think most engine stuff is thermodynamics. but somebody will be along shortly to contradict everything i said...

PS i'll pass on your praise of the robot thing to the people whose final year project it was to put it together, they'll be delighted!

PPS I voted for Elec anyway... loyalty etc.

Dave wrote:
    I'm not sure how trinity works in their engineering dept.

incidently who cares since...
    Er1c wrote:
    I'm a first year undenominated Eng student in UCD

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Have to say Mech because i study it but with Mech you are way more wide based and can specialize in more thaings IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Hmmm...its a tough one really - thing with engineering is that you've really got to go with the one you're most interested in, because otherwise you're just not going to be bothered doing all the work needed and could end up failing(Seen it happen a few times - I'm 4th elec in UCD as well!). Mech and Elec are both quite tough courses, mech involves a lot of learning about materials and all that, whereas elec concentrates more on ciruits in 2nd year, communications in third year and everything kinda comes together in 4th year! Elec is divided into electronic and electrical. Both are together for 2nd and 3rd year, and then you pick one or the other for 4th year.

The traditional definition of the two is that Electrical engineering involves the transfer of power, whereas electronic engineering involves the transfer of information (think phones/radio transmission/television transmission/that sort of thing). A fairly good indicator would be physics for the leaving cert (if you did it). Did you like the mechancs section, or did you prefer the electrical/electronic/quantum section? I loved the electronic section, its what made me put electronic engineering down on my CV in the 1st place! Don't know if this post has been much of a help, but if you've any other questions about elec post them up and myself or TheCzar will answer them for you :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I chose Elec&Comp so I didnt have to narrow down to just Elec.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yes i love elec & comp,programming has annoying deadlines but i love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

i myself did elec and computer eng in NUIG.

you should go to the two departments and talk to the postgrads.

see what they are working on. that should give you some idea of what is actually involved in either decipline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭PlasseyMinstrel

It sounds like you'd be more interested in mech, and I'm not just saying that cos I'm in mech! Mech eng basically deals with anything that moves, so the movng parts of a robot, while controlled electronically (incidentally mechs probably do enough elec to do that themselves and we also do PLC controllers) are basically just complex mechanisms - and that's what we do best!

The thing about computer science and elec eng - and this is just how I see it, I'm sure others feel differently - is that they're easy to pick up and learn about when you're scratching the surface, but the further you delve into them, the more complex, uninteresting and plain boring they can become. I'm sure some elec eng student could say the same about mech for that matter!

• Advertisement

I'm sure some elec eng student could say the same about mech for that matter!

yep, i do!

So Eric which one did you go for in the end? Hope the Robobugby thing went well for everyone!

Sorry just thought of this - Plant Process Engineering (or Process Plant Engineering)
    Its kinda a go between for Chemical & Mech,mainly aimed at Pharmeuceutical/Chemical industry.Only a newish full time course around the place. Its becoming really popular in industry,know about 6 people doing it as an add-on degree or by night and its becoming very big in demand.

Apologies about being so late again.

Nukem

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Nukem wrote:
    Sorry just thought of this - Plant Process Engineering (or Process Plant Engineering)
    Its kinda a go between for Chemical & Mech,mainly aimed at Pharmeuceutical/Chemical industry.Only a newish full time course around the place. Its becoming really popular in industry,know about 6 people doing it as an add-on degree or by night and its becoming very big in demand.

Apologies about being so late again.

Nukem
    I was advised to do this for my degree but it was only in Cork and Dublin.
    So I went with Elec&Comp.
    Do you know if its taught anywhere else?

rkm wrote:
    Do you know if its taught anywhere else?
    No sorry. Its taught in UCC & CIT in cork defo. But under two different names (Plant Process/Process Plant or sommit) Best bet is to just check the web or go into your nearest college and they will have the prospectus's to most colleges in there career dep.

Nukem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Er1c

Thanks to everyone who gave advice. I've chosen Elec though it was a close thing and i'm handing in my form today.

Roborugby went well - our team won :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

didn't exactly win the popularity contest though! :)

ah good choice although if you ever put me out of a job.....:p

Thanks to everyone who gave advice. I've chosen Elec though it was a close thing and i'm handing in my form today.

Roborugby went well - our team won
    Yeah i saw that there was a guy called Eric on the winning team and was wondering if it was you! Hope you had a good time at the Roborugby, heard it was a good night :) Good luck with elec - I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. If you ever need a hand with anything, or have any questions just give me a shout out and I'll be glad to help :cool:

Er1c wrote:

Roborugby went well - our team won :)

yay! in you face other facultys!

i heard you used a rather naughty whould-have-been-banned-in-the-rules-except-nobody-thought-of-it kind of thing to win roborugby... well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Joni

well i got the best of both worlds doin mechatronics in dcu. but i prefer the mechanical bits. electronic involves sitting in front of a computer for the day. with the odd practicalish thing thrown in. anyway yeh mechanical, defo.

Advertisement