Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SWAT 4 demo

Options
  • 24-02-2005 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭

Swat 4 demo is out...download

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Downloaded it like yesterday or the day before... I likes it.
    Feel the power of shouting at gunmen to surrender... and they do... unnggh virtual power trip, lovely, just lovely.
    All the gadgets and cuffs... it's got everything that Rainbow6 lacked.
    Actually, a few years ago, I was hooked on the SWAT3 demo (or was it SWAT2 or something else completely?!) ... t'was a top-down 2D version of this new fangled SWAT4.
    Although it does have some of the things I didn't like about the Rainbow6 series, and that's too many bloody squads... I'd prefer to just have two other CPU buddies that I could take control of and move into position, like in Conflict Desert Storm.

I'd reccomend the demo to tactical shooter types... thumbs up tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Yeah stun guns are cool alright. It's a nice change frm hl2 or whatever, nice and slow paced. The 2d one was swat 2 by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Good game alright think ill buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Bought this yesterday in Game for 50 bucks and spent the best part of an hour this morning trying to figure out how what the hell was going on as all I got was a black screen and a brief wind noise when I ran it. Turns out that you need to make an entry for swat4.exe in your firewall if you're having the same problem. The demo ran fine for me but as I said I had the black screen issue but as soon as I added it to ZoneAlarm it ran fine. Quality game though and it has some genuine scary moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

yeh played the training, not too bad as far as training levels go, some nice features in the game, like controling other teams directly and snipers etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

SantaHoe wrote:
    Although it does have some of the things I didn't like about the Rainbow6 series, and that's too many bloody squads... I'd prefer to just have two other CPU buddies that I could take control of and move into position, like in Conflict Desert Storm.

I'd reccomend the demo to tactical shooter types... thumbs up tbh.

You could do that in RB6 too.. and you could attempt missions with less squadies if you wanted.
    Pity you had to mention such console thrash positively (Desert Storm) BTW, who knows how many people you have put off Swat now!

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

SWAT3 demo (or was it SWAT2

That was Swat 2. I remember buying Swat 3 for the PC went it first came out, and at the time the graphics were just unbelivable....still do hold up pretty well even today, well made game.

Swat 2 I didn't like but again, the original game was great! I'll probably get around to buying Swat 4 at some stage, but until then, its demo all the way :)
    like in Conflict Desert Storm

What a terrible game, I cannot believe you would actually wish for Swat 4 to be more like this shambles of a game! Such association is borderline computer crime :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Picked this up yesterday and played a few missions last night. At first it seemed very RB6-lite-ish and a bit too easy but it gets tougher after a few missions. I'd prefer if you could co-ordinate your squads a bit better, like giving one a command,then getting them to hold while, you command the other and then get both to execute simuoltaneously. The system they have works pretty well though. I'm still not sure if I like the idea of trying to take suspects alive, but it is pretty cool when you fill a room full of flashbangs or gas and then come running in shouting at them to get down/drop their weapons etc, then listening to them beg for mercy as you slap the cuffs on.

Oh, and tazering a cuffed suspect in the head is possibly one of the most fun uses of a weapon I've ever seen in a game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I got the full game today. I can't wait to give it a shot. I'll have to restrain myself though; I love using force grip in these games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

What a terrible game, I cannot believe you would actually wish for Swat 4 to be more like this shambles of a game!
    Matt Simis wrote:
    Pity you had to mention such console thrash positively (Desert Storm) BTW, who knows how many people you have put off Swat now!
    Christ, I mentioned one aspect of Conflict Desert Storm and the PC snobs are all over it. :rolleyes:

Yes, it's a bit consol-ey, and I was horrified when I got it home and installed it, I couldn't even bind certain keys and had to edit the configs manually, but I stuck with it and completed it from start to finish and enjoyed it a lot... so much so, that I bought the sequel any may even buy the Vietnam one they brought out :p
    I also bought NFSU2 and MGS2 for the PC, keep that console thrash coming! Yummy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

stevenmu wrote:
    Oh, and tazering a cuffed suspect in the head is possibly one of the most fun uses of a weapon I've ever seen in a game :D

Oh yeh, it rocks and stinging that old granny in the 2nd or 3rd level, hehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Excellent game I reckon although not without it's flaws but the good stuff first.

Excellent interface for controlling yur team mates altho it's also one of it flaws.

Great enemy and squad AI.

Really good graphics, nice use of bumpmapping and no slow down on my system with full everything.

Nice learning curve taking everything easy at the start but getting progressively more difficult a few levels in and I have to admit the childabuser/ serial killer map while action lite puts the wind up yah.

Great maps and varied as well.

Downsides: As mentioned above splitting yur teams up to breach a room from different rooms is nigh on pointless. U can command the squad u cant see remotely but can't hear there responses despite being in radio contact??!!! Why bother send them off to blow a door off a wall and chuck a flashbang into an emptyu room cos u couldnt hear there response when they mirror under a door. Also the delay in switching to yur remote view port and given the breach order, flicking back to where u are and giving yur team the breech order means the other team is already in and firing by the tim u get the door open. So while there is a great interface for giving commands on the fly for yur team when u can see em it's not so great when used remotely and also as said above no stacking of orders.

AI: while great it's bloody annoying to order yur squad to cover a vital corridor only for them to see a suspect and run off after him and most likely get shot.... Drives me spare it does.

Maps!!! All u get for a map to base yur movements on is a poxy blurry drawing half the time which u can't zoom into and can't make any sense off and basically meaning u cant make a plan of action before u start and have NO idea where u are once u start .

Points system: I'm a little divided over this. You basically get points for arresting suspects, less for incapacitating them and none for a kill and u lose loads of points for unauthorised killing and use of force meaning that once the levels get harder and there are more enemies u need to keep the suspects alive to arrest. This is best achieved by using the shottie with bean bag bullets and essentially means the rest of the real guns are pointless cos u kill too easily with them.

****... I'm not selling this game very well..> Dammit... It's got a great atmosphere and is a lot of fun... my bad points above arent that noticable so I recommend ppl download the demo first and see what they think but ye should definitely consider buyng it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Excellent game I reckon although not without it's flaws but the good stuff first.

Excellent interface for controlling yur team mates altho it's also one of it flaws.

Great enemy and squad AI.

Really good graphics, nice use of bumpmapping and no slow down on my system with full everything.

Nice learning curve taking everything easy at the start but getting progressively more difficult a few levels in and I have to admit the childabuser/ serial killer map while action lite puts the wind up yah.

Great maps and varied as well.

Downsides: As mentioned above splitting yur teams up to breach a room from different rooms is nigh on pointless. U can command the squad u cant see remotely but can't hear there responses despite being in radio contact??!!! Why bother send them off to blow a door off a wall and chuck a flashbang into an emptyu room cos u couldnt hear there response when they mirror under a door. Also the delay in switching to yur remote view port and given the breach order, flicking back to where u are and giving yur team the breech order means the other team is already in and firing by the tim u get the door open. So while there is a great interface for giving commands on the fly for yur team when u can see em it's not so great when used remotely and also as said above no stacking of orders.

AI: while great it's bloody annoying to order yur squad to cover a vital corridor only for them to see a suspect and run off after him and most likely get shot.... Drives me spare it does.

Maps!!! All u get for a map to base yur movements on is a poxy blurry drawing half the time which u can't zoom into and can't make any sense off and basically meaning u cant make a plan of action before u start and have NO idea where u are once u start .

Points system: I'm a little divided over this. You basically get points for arresting suspects, less for incapacitating them and none for a kill and u lose loads of points for unauthorised killing and use of force meaning that once the levels get harder and there are more enemies u need to keep the suspects alive to arrest. This is best achieved by using the shottie with bean bag bullets and essentially means the rest of the real guns are pointless cos u kill too easily with them.

****... I'm not selling this game very well..> Dammit... It's got a great atmosphere and is a lot of fun... my bad points above arent that noticable so I recommend ppl download the demo first and see what they think but ye should definitely consider buyng it.

The downsides you've mentioned are very valid...
    but the bean bag gun has severe limitations.., as does the pepperball gun when you come up against serious threats..
    When you realise the limits of the AI and once you know the mission objectives\outline you can easily score 90+ for the levels... its challenging and tense work which is very rewarding and fun

Where this game comes into its own is having 4 guys in my house splitting into 2 teams and clearing levels.. CO-OP is so much fun..
    Where I would have silenced mp5 and swiss would use the beanbag gun, we would arrest so many suspects and if they didnt comply we would have put them down knowing we havent used any un-auth'd force..
    Our favourite level is the Diamond Bank level... where from the front door 2 take left and clear the ground floor, 2 secure balcony and clear the second floor... and once done we'd assault the vault, as with the SWAT games, suspect\civilian positioning is changed everytime you play the level so its always a new challenge...

This is a fine update and can be great fun on LAN or online.. (Teamspeak\vent is a must)... with varied multiplayer game modes and many levels it has a long life in it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I dont have broadband so no multiplayer for me :( but I'd say if yur playing with guys who are happy to take orders then it would be great. What I failed to mention was all the downsides to this game are minor niggles that keep the game from being amazing.

co-op on this is fantastic with half decent players who work as a team. Highly recomended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Shred

Loved SWAT3 so I ordered 4 last week and downloaded the demo in the meantime. Game arrived on Monday and I've been playing it since - really enjoying it and would have no problems recommending it.

Is it just me or are the servers full of tk'ing assholes? For the last few days every second server I have been on has had at least one total cvnt teamkilling everybody else.

Advertisement