Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cayman 3341 disconnections

• 25-02-2005 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

I'm on the Eircom Broadband Home Plus package using a Netopia Cayman 3341 router and when using bittorrent I often get disconnected from the interent. I searched for information here & on google but the only useful information I got was that it might be related to Windows XP sp2, and although I'm running XP I have not downloaded sp2.

Is there any way to auto-reconnect on a Cayman 3341? Or, am I doing something incredibly stupid, or not doing something I should be? You will have to excuse my rather stunted computer skills.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

*bump*

My sister noticed last night & this morning that it even disconnects itself while not using the connection for anything other than browsing the web. So please, any help would be much appreciated, even vague guesses at what might be wrong/how to get the thing to reconnect itself automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

Getting SP2 should fix that problem. The problem is the modem being overwhelmed by the amount of connections Bittorrent makes at the same time. SP2 puts a limit on the rate these connections can be made so it stops a lot of bittorrent disconnects.

As for random disconnects while browsing youve got me. Is your filter installed correctly? Any wires loose? Using USB or Ethernet? You should really use Ethernet.

I'm using USB, will take a look into using ethernet. I'm not sure what the circumstances were when my sister was using the computer & got disconnected, I'll ask her, maybe there's some logical reason. I'll get SP2 now, see if that helps. Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Wire issue maybe ! or your drivers may need to be updated.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

Using azureus as ur bittorrent client might help too. It has numerous options to help users with disconnection issues.

• Advertisement

I am using Azureus. I set the number of global connections to 200 at someone else's advice but it didn't really help much. I also tried using socket polling but that had no effect. I'll try using ethernet, if I can find the cable, hopefully it might help because maybe the USB cable is faulty. Thanks for the advice.

Btw, I've heard that setting the DNS to primary 192.111.39.1 and secondary 192.111.39.4 may help, should I give it a shot?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Regarding disconects, Im with UTV and have that issue. I could be doing nothing at all, or working on the web and im just cut of. Now in my case I have to re-boot and plug out modem to fix the issue before I can get back on.

Stauts now? Still f*cked.

- Sully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Liquorice wrote:
    Btw, I've heard that setting the DNS to primary 192.111.39.1 and secondary 192.111.39.4 may help, should I give it a shot?
    Those are netsources dns numbers... i don't see how that'd make any difference. However eircom have been updating a number of exchanges during the week which may account for your disconnects. They were, or were at least scheduled to complete friday.

Try resetting your netopia (pin hole at the back, stick a pen in for 10seconds then release).

Advertisement