Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ad Hoc wireless conection?

• 25-02-2005 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭

Im new to wireless networking and I went into marx computers to get my wireless acesss point/router and they had none in stock. So it will be a while till im in there again I decided to try just going ad hoc, pc to pc, like using a cross over cable in wired networking with out a hub or switch.

Im having trouble getting it to work, I have XP service pack 2 on both machines and the cards are installed ok but they are not seeing each other when i try to set them to ad hoc.

Does any one know any good guides or read me`s on the subject or has any one else got this to work for them.

All help apreaciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Spooky, a wireless router is always a better bet when going wireless - mainly because of firewall and sharing net connection. With ad-hoc, first thing is to try to ping the IP of each machine. If they are on the same subnet this can help, eg: one PC is 192.168.1.1, the other is 192.168.1.2, with subnet masking 255.255.255.0. If both PC's are set to ad-hoc, and both are on the same subnet, then you should be able to ping. Make sure that you have set the TCP/IP settings correctly for the wireless card, and make sure any software firewalls are either turned off while you troubleshoot, or permit access to the 192.168.1.x network (or whatever IP range you want to use).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Yeah wireless is the plan but for now im left with ad hoc and its more just to see can it be done more than any real pratical reasons . The wireless will have the solution as is my BB connection is set up using net sharing sharing, with a software fire wall, not ideal i admid.

Both pc with the cards were running dhcp but i know their ip`s so i`ll try ping them. Do i need to have ip`s set manually for ad hoc or does it matter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

If you have a firewall then you will need to configure this to allow each computer to see the other

well the firewall is only on the incomming net connection not on the other 2 systems that im trying to network wirlessly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Yeah wireless is the plan but for now im left with ad hoc and its more just to see can it be done more than any real pratical reasons . The wireless will have the solution as is my BB connection is set up using net sharing sharing, with a software fire wall, not ideal i admid.

Both pc with the cards were running dhcp but i know their ip`s so i`ll try ping them. Do i need to have ip`s set manually for ad hoc or does it matter!

I think you should give static IP addresses, even just for testing the connectivity. With DHCP enabled on the wireless cards, where are they getting the IPs from? And also, sometimes the internet connection will assign the IP address to the PC it is running on, if DHCP needs to be enabled for it to work, so make sure you have changed the settings for the wireless card and not the onboard ethernet (which your internet connection probably uses) or vice versa.

Also, the usual stuff applies, same workgroup etc.

From the article I posted AFAIK the 3 important things to make sure of are:

1. Same SSID on both adapters
    2. Same channel on both adapters
    3. Ensure 'Use WIndows to configure my wireless settings' is checked in
    Wireless Network Properties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Im new to wireless networking and I went into marx computers to get my wireless acesss point/router and they had none in stock. So it will be a while till im in there again I decided to try just going ad hoc, pc to pc, like using a cross over cable in wired networking with out a hub or switch.

Im having trouble getting it to work, I have XP service pack 2 on both machines and the cards are installed ok but they are not seeing each other when i try to set them to ad hoc.

Does any one know any good guides or read me`s on the subject or has any one else got this to work for them.

All help apreaciated!

PC world have this belkin wireless router for 74.99 same price as the router in marxcomputers

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECS07337&productID=49769

Cool i`ll check that out last time i was in there they only had a wired router for 65!

Thanks for the info!

Advertisement