Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search'in not working?!

Options
  • 25-02-2005 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Is it just me? - the search feature is not working...?

toil
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Some details such as what you mean by "not working", what you did, what you expected to happen and what happened would help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

Firefox:
    Click search, enter Eircom - Says connecting to boards.ie - then done.
    Does nothing.

IE:
    Click search, enter Eircom - 'Comes back with - This page cannot be displayed'....

toil

eircom is a popular topic. It's probably trying to process too many search results.

Is there any particular thread or post or subject regarding eircom that you're searching for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I'm having a simular problem - Go to search page - enter search - get a "page cannot be found" error (Cannot find server or DNS Error)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I get the same with 'eircom'. Works for other searches. Interesting.

If you have a particular search in mind then it may be possible to work out some strategies for narrowing the search parameters.

I know that it's probably not a top priority, and the very fact that it does this shows that the search will yield far too many results to be of any use, but..eh...should it not be flagged as an "issue" at least?

:)

It's a problem and I'm open to suggestions. My take on it is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2422844&postcount=7

However, my conclusions after going through the problem were that I would have designed the search system slightly differently knowing what I know now if I was a vbulletin developer, which isn't a terribly practical direction towards an answer right now.

Anyway, if something is so unspecific that it's not going to be a useful search term, then the search needs to be changed anyway. I would just prefer that it failed in a less crap manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 poneill

toil wrote:
    Is it just me? - the search feature is not working...?

Search for Sinn = works
    Search for Fein = works
    Search for Féin = works
    Search for Sinn AND Fein = works
    Search for Sinn AND Féin = works

So whats the problem ?

And if it ain't broke why fix it ?

• Advertisement

Have you some particular reason to think that those are particularly common terms or is this some sort of silly joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Suggestion:

www.google.ie

then type in the search bar:

site:www.boards.ie <insert_search_term_here>

Works a charm except for very recent posts (boards is catalogued by google). The comp forum requires short word searching a lot (for acronyms) and this is really the only way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

i wanted to link to a previous post of mine and tried searching (cos I forgot the thread)
    I typed in a sentence word for word but got one of those no server pages
    I presume my search was too long, shortened it and it worked.
    But Im curious, why did I get that generic no server page rather than some boards fault page telling me what Id done wrong (and perhaps a funny/sarcastic quip)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

btw, I was reminded while typing that last post of an error page I got one time when trying to find the "gathering" page. I'd spelt the address wrong and been linked somewhere with some remark I can no longer remember.
    I tried just there to repeat the mistake, find the page and reread the remark but I just get the normal "page not found" page.
    Does that page still exist / did it ever...
    What do pple do to get directed there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

poneill wrote:
    So whats the problem ?

And if it ain't broke why fix it ?

You couldn't contribute a few quid to the Boards.ie fund so someone can work on search fulltime could you ?

But Im curious, why did I get that generic no server page rather than some boards fault page telling me what Id done wrong (and perhaps a funny/sarcastic quip)

If the search process goes on too long, then you end up with the response taking too long and it appears as if the server isn't responding. As I say, I'd prefer if it failed in a non-crap manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

So, whats the story?
    I dont think any search term works for me...is it just me?
    Using Firefox....search for SMART - nothing happens, page starts loading and then it just shows the same page i had been on.....just to let people know...

toil

Ok, but "SMART" is also a very common word found in posts. Having said that, a search for SMART worked fine for me.

Have you tried restricting to certain time periods and/or certain forums?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm having problems searching as well at the moment. I'm using Firefox and I've twice tried to search for two different topics. I just get a white page saying search failed, zero sized string.

any ideas?

Yep, tell us what you searched for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

One query was "form fusion" and the other was "windows key". I've attached a screenshotof the page I get.

Yeah, I'm getting
    64 - Host not available
    for both of those searches. FF 1.0.1, XP SP2.

Advertisement