Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacked Online Poker Accounts

Options
  • 25-02-2005 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I was in the Fitz last night and there was some very interesting conversations at our table that I'd like to hear more about.
    Topic one was regarding the bleeding of on-line poker accounts. Kevin the solicitor was talking to another guy about Adrian's (guy with the pony tail) poker account (think it was a pokerstars account) I was at the other side of the table and didn't quite fully hear what they were talking about therefore could someone fill me in on the details. Basically what they were saying is that his account login and password were the same and that someone cracked this and bleed his account. Does anyone know more details on this? ie how much was involved etc. The guy he was talking to seemed to be a professional on-line player as he said he clocked up to 80-90 hours a week on-line. Anyone know his name and his background? JP was between the two of them so perhaps he knows all the knitty gritty. Anyway the other guy was saying that something similar happened to one of his accounts. He said that he had a basic password and that someone hacked into his account. Anyone know the details behind this story and have any of you out there heard similar horror stories regarding on-line poker accounts?
    The second topic was regarding the chips in envelopes practice at the break. I naturally presumed that this was a precaution to stop people stealing chips at the break while people were away from the table. I discovered from Oscar who was dealing our table that this was indeed the idea and that **** (name removed) was barred from the Fitz last week due to cheating in the Monday 100+10 freezout. Apparently he had pocketed green chips from one of the freerolls and deposited them on the table during the freezout when he tought no one was looking. Anyway he was caught and barred from the club. It was confirmed that he is barred from the Merrion for quite a while due to similar cheating practices. Anyone hear of any similar stories. Anyway it's nice to hear that such unsavoury characters are found out and treated appropriately and that the good name of the Fitz goes untarnished.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

I'd take out the names from this post asap!

i had my party poker account 'hacked' once. basically been playing on a public pc and must have ticked the remember box. logged on to play one day and i already was! :) whoever it was actually playing and winning.....maybe should have left them to it. anyways, got the person kicked and changed password.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

karlhoff wrote:
    whoever it was actually playing and winning.....QUOTE]

lol so did you get to keep his winnings then?

yeah of course! :p

they had no way of knowing which games he played and which were mine, wasnt up a lot.....he had some solid STT play though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Some savage gossip there. I wonder how much of it is true.

true or not, it shouldn't be said here imo. considering the fitz folks reading here and player X wishing to remain player x, im thinking this could cause trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

karlhoff wrote:
    true or not, it shouldn't be said here imo. considering the fitz folks reading here and player X wishing to remain player x, im thinking this could cause trouble.
    Player X wasn't mentioned :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Hi Karl
    I don't see what the problem is. I don't have a bad word to say about anyone and the negative connotations surrounding one player is only what was publicly voiced at the table. The Fitz name is in no way tarnished and if anything it shows what a profession and well managed club it is as it continually adopts to the changing poker scene.

oh i know, but saying that there's more like him. saying a guy was robbing on a public forum being read by loads of people who know him may leave boards open for something nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Not mentioning names as I dont have first hand knowledge.

It was said to me last night at the break, by the lad next to me after we were joking about a new game where you got somebody else's bag after the break (try a strategy for that!), that a friend of his had chips stolen from his stack and it was later proved by cctv that the guy who busted him out was the thief.

No names. Just heresay. What can be said is that the Fitz have acted correctly and fair play to them for solving the problem. It is a shame though that things came to this.

Hi Karl. I see what you mean but from what I understand he wasn't really robbing but rather giving himself an unfair advantage. That is why everyone was very surprised and shocked last night when it was mentioned. There is no guarantee to even make the money by a similar under handed act and with nothing really to gain and everything to loose (reputation) it appears to be a rather stupid act. Anyway if deemed necessary please delete his name from my original posting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Hi Karl. I see what you mean but from what I understand he wasn't really robbing but rather giving himself an unfair advantage. That is why everyone was very surprised and shocked last night when it was mentioned. There is no guarantee to even make the money by a similar under handed act and with nothing really to gain and everything to loose (reputation) it appears to be a rather stupid act. Anyway if deemed necessary please delete his name from my original posting.

Look at your own post and in the bottom right hand corner is a button that says EDIT. Click on it and do it yourself. Technology eh!!

i certainly consider it robbing! someone steals my chips or someone elses in a tournie is giving themselves an unfair advantage to win something i'm planning on winning. i'd kick a granny around the room if i caught her trying it!

*signs up for Tuesday's draw tourney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Karl u granny basher!!! LOL :D
    Definetly stealing Dr Col, cant argue that cause its only tournie chips, not cash chips(which seems to be your reasoning). Those tournaments have cash prizes so indirectly every chip has a potential value.

Oh as for the guy who had is Password and usernames the same...... :eek:

Muppet! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Dear Mr. Dr.,

It might be inappropriate to discuss the private conversation of two people without their knowledge and consent.

What happened with the person who was barred should be discussed with Luke Ivory directly who is too professional to tell you to mind your own business.

You are the same person who accused me of 'ripping off the Irish public' because I sold 60 copies of Super System 2 at around 30 quid, when to get it over the internet would probably cost a tenner more in postage.

I'm guessing that you're pretty young and don't realise what a small world the Irish poker scene is. Perhaps you could post me your real name so that when you are sitting at my table I'll know not to speak of anything that I don't want posted in a public forum.

BTW, it would be entirely appropriate for you to either explain yourself or apologize for your comment about my ripping off the public. The hundreds of people who have bought the poker titles that I had to go to some effort to import from various US distributors don't seem too disappointed with the service.

Why do I get the feeling that I'm wasting my energy explaining about common manners?

My view on the stealing side of things was that he took chips from himself in a cheap rebuy tournament and then redeposited them in the bigger freezout game. As far as I'm told he didn't go around taking other peoples chips which would be outright robbery. Anyway lets just say it's extremely unethical and worthy of being barred.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Not one of you has given the correct version of events here. I was the TD that night though I immediately alerted Luke and let him deal with it. I'm not going to say any more and I'd appreciate people not speculating what happened to whom here.

The chips in the envelopes thing was done last month to, and is unconnected with that event. It is done to stop two chip stacks merging under the table cloth while players eat dinner. AFAIK thats the only reason for it.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭BrendanB

A small warning about stuff here, not mentioning someones name doesn't necessarily save you from trouble, especially when a name has been leaked and/or is known to people you are speaking to. Indeed, use of player X, if you were saying something libellous is no defence.

Doc Farrell, I'm wondering if you have been saving up your bile ever since you were disparaged over Super System 2? On manners generally, I have been shocked by the lack of them at many a poker table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

To answer your question Brendan, yes I am still annoyed about being accused of ripping customers off when I went to considerable effort to be the first bookseller in Ireland and the UK to get the Brunson title.

I do not like rumour and accusations. If you become the subject of one you may understand why it is best to remember who was the source of it.

I appreciate the work that Tom Murphy and others have done in creating this online Irish community of players but those that use it ought to be careful about posting negative comments when they could end up sitting next to that person in the Fitz or Merrion.

I won't be posting any further on this subject but I recommend the moderators to be careful about allowing comments to be made about real Irish players. It could end up causing them the kind of migranes all the Solpedine in the world won't cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

May as well let you know the story of the money removed from peoples accounts, the first one is very common knowledge Adrian went public on the hendonmob forum, after a big tournament win someone who had obviously been monitoring his account for a while transferred 5000 into his own account planning to play a 5k heads up match then transfer it back and adrian would probably never notice, problem was he lost the heads up match, pokerstars returned the money eventually.

The other case is less public so Ill keep names out of it but an Irish pro had a similar amount taken from his partypoker account but partypoker have said the money will definitely not be returned.

Advertisement