Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Performance v's Bling

Options
  • 25-02-2005 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering... with all these poxy little cars (take for example a modded honda civic 1.4) booting around our roads these days... which would you spend your money on???

Buy a cheap car and get a body kit and spray it a stupid color ie. spend all your money on looks.

Or buy a car which gives better performance and not so much of the flash "look at me, i score birds in my car" hint to it.

You can obviously tell which i'd go for.

(Turbo diesel all the way)....

Performance or Pimping?? 56 votes

Performance - its the engine that makes the car
    0%
    Pimp my ride please - I don't care if its 1bhp once it looks good.
    100%
    StephenelexesBlitzkriegerd4r3nBlueDraxBabyEaterLucifermike65the_sycojoolsveerunkelFerrorthe evil bellytuxypuntosporting[Deleted User]echomadmanweemcdSeth Brundleleonlafrite 56 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭$lash

Peace wrote:

Bog Warrior :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭AlisonB

being honest - it depends on the driver .. i know plenty people driving high performance cars that couldnt drive a nail through a cow s%^&$.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

hhmmm, maybe i shouldn't have made it a public poll... all our honda civic 18-22yr old boy racers are ashamed to own up!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭AlisonB

i think so ... i vote performance all the way ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

I've voted looks (and I'm the first!) but that is purely on the basis that I consider performance to be a 0-60 in 6 seconds car. And becuase I'm 23 I can't get insured on one. So atm looks is obligatory and performance is not an option.

Having said that I drive a Alfa 156 1.8 T-Spark which does in fact look the bling imo (keep your negative comments to yourself!) and has the largest engine I can get insured on. And you wouldn't find me dead in anything under a 1.8. Actually, I'm not even sure if I voted right ...

• Advertisement

I've voted looks (and I'm the first!) but that is purely on the basis that I consider performance to be a 0-60 in 6 seconds car. And becuase I'm 23 I can't get insured on one. So atm looks is obligatory and performance is not an option.

Having said that I drive a Alfa 156 1.8 T-Spark which does in fact look the bling imo (keep your negative comments to yourself!) and has the largest engine I can get insured on. And you wouldn't find me dead in anything under a 1.8. Actually, I'm not even sure if I voted right ...

You're not sure... think about the rest of us!!

Anyway, i realised after the fact that i should have put a 3rd option... which was both... ie. something like an Audi A4 2.0TDi with body kit and swinging rims...

Doesn't matter, just doing a quick head count.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Yeah i'd have taken the third option! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

Peace wrote:
    I'm just wondering... with all these poxy little cars (take for example a modded honda civic 1.4) booting around our roads these days... which would you spend your money on???

Buy a cheap car and get a body kit and spray it a stupid color ie. spend all your money on looks.

Or buy a car which gives better performance and not so much of the flash "look at me, i score birds in my car" hint to it.

well looks to me like you will never get idea of car/bike modding and the fact that not all civic drivers are boy racers

The same way you laugh at modified Civic , I could laugh at you agricultural turbo diesel which puffs black smoke at every light.

but i don't as i respect the fact that this is your choice.

Performance - its the engine that makes the car

Answer is NO. There is more things which make the car . You don't have to go 160mph to enjoy your car

what's wrong with doing up your car, if this is what it takes to make some people happy then just let them do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Performance or bling.... as someone else stated before, I'd rather have both. So I am one of those poxy boy racer Civic drivers, expect its an 04 Type R with 197BHP, looks good to no matter what you think of Civics. Have yet to see a tractor, ahem diesel, that looks better and performs quicker. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

You say your into performance and you drive a diesel i dont get it to be honest!
    Waiting for it's the gttttttdi redi with tunning box reply blah blah...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Wolf in sheeps clothing for me ;)

unkel wrote:

Correct.

My point for those of you throwing the toys out of the pram is that i can't see the point in modding a 1.4 car (whatever make) with stuff like body kits, alloys and flash sound systems if you're still at the end of the day stuck with a motor which is a little flat on its feet.

TDi's are economical and good performers. In the long run cheaper to run than a 200bhp turbo petrol.

If you want to talk about "aricultural turbo diesel" please take a look at this first.....

here
    or maybe here

See when someone says to me their into their performance cars i automaticaly think oh right so what you driving,i usualy get answers like mitsi evo,subaru impreza turbo,skyline,supra,even teg type r etc etc.
    ALL with good engines but also well capable of going round bends quicly too.
    I realy cant see the attraction in 4.5k revs change gear trying to keep the car in the power band and rubbish engine note .
    Their is nothing sensible about owning performance cars in my mind so why buy a diesel?
    Ya i know you can get 300+ lb ft torque but when are they gonna give you a gearbox that lets you use it ?

Ratchet wrote:
    well looks to me like you will never get idea of car/bike modding and the fact that not all civic drivers are boy racers

You're way off... i do. I'm considering my first car purchase for the end of the year (audi A4 B6) and i'm currently checking prices for body kits and i would definately buy nice rims for it.
    Ratchet wrote:
    The same way you laugh at modified Civic , I could laugh at you agricultural turbo diesel which puffs black smoke at every light.

Laugh away my boy...

Ratchet wrote:
    Answer is NO. There is more things which make the car . You don't have to go 160mph to enjoy your car

I never said you have to drive fast....
    Ratchet wrote:
    what's wrong with doing up your car, if this is what it takes to make some people happy then just let them do it

Ain't nothing wrong with doing up a car, as i already said i'm thinking about doing it myself. But investing maybe in the price range of 3-4k on a car thats maybe worth 7-8k is , IMO, a little crazy.

If you want to talk about "aricultural turbo diesel" please take a look at this first.....

Don't know a lot about the Audi range TBH but a quick check of the spec on parkers.co.uk shows that the most powerful 2.5TDI (whatever part of that is red) puts out 180BHP, 0-60 in 8.5 seconds and a combined MPG of 35MPG. I am sorry but this is just not a "performance" car. It is a fine car that will give nice lift for motor-way driving, but the handling, acceleration, etc could not match a petrol equivalent.

A petrol engine is what a diesel aspires to in terms of performance, smoothness, weight, etc. A petrol engine aspires to the economy of a diesel. Given the true advantage of diesel over petrol is economic (fuel consumption costs) and a "performance car" is about performance not economy. I don't see how any diesel could be considered a performance car.

Let me do a quick check, nope, no diesels in Formula 1, Formula 3000, WRC, hmmm. :D

jayok wrote:
    Don't know a lot about the Audi range TBH but a quick check of the spec on parkes.co.uk show that the most powerful 2.5TDI (whatever part of that is red) puts out 180BHP, 0-60 in 8.5 seconds and a combined MPG of 35MPG. I am sorry but this is just not a "performance" car. It is a fine car that will give nice lift for motor-way driving, but the handling, acceleration, etc could not match a petrol equivalent.

A petrol engine is what a diesel aspires to in terms of performance, smoothness, weight, etc. A petrol engine aspires to the economy of a diesel. Given the true advantage of diesel over petrol is economic (fuel consumption costs) and a "performance car" about performance not economy. I don't see how any diesel could be considered a performance car.

Let me do a quick check, nope, no diesels in Formula 1, Formula 3000, WRC, hmmm. :D

Exactimundo ...

Don't see many Forula 1 cars on irish roads either now do we???

Coming back down to earth now, please fasten seat belts.

Don't see many Forula 1 cars on irish roads either now do we???

Nope but we see their performance technology. Variable values, etc...

Peace wrote:

maybe you should put an ad in Buyandsell "Men seeking women" instead of spending all that money on Audi A4 and spoilers.

unkel wrote:

i want one of these :D

• Advertisement

jayok wrote:
    Nope but we see their performance technology. Variable values, etc...

Ok , i think you're getting a little caught up on the use of the word "performance"... the poll is clearly about which you woudl spend you money on.. ie. which would you prioritise first.

At no point did i say diesels out perform petrols however i did say
    Peace wrote:
    TDi's are economical and good performers

And they are good performers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Peace wrote:

It's hard to tell which one you would go for? I take it your after a car with low performance and pimped to the max as you said turbo diesel all the way. But hold on, you dont even own a car according to another post of yours here.

The poll should have read
    which would you prefer?

Boyracer mobile

Mundane tdi saloon car

Actual "performance" orientated vehicle that can possibly be taken out on track and will actualy give you a fun yet powerfull experiance.

FX Meister wrote:
    It's hard to tell which one you would go for? I take it your after a car with low performance and pimped to the max as you said turbo diesel all the way. But hold on, you dont even own a car according to another post of yours here.

u right, not sure what he is trying to say

car with performance or bling

and the choice is

Audi TD with spoiler and big wheels

this should be 3rd option on the poll

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Why does this seem black and white to so many people? There is a huge spectrum of cars available but we have been blinkered by the mundane rubbish available in Ireland for so long that the choice seems limited. My feelings on diesels are well known - perfect for tractors, trains and pulling horseboxes but if you are a 'fan' of motoring they don't belong in your possesion. If you can strike a balance between adding a little extra 'voom' and a smidgen of 'schwing' then that would be my (4th option in poll) choice.

'c

Oh and of course diesel is great for getting stains out of your overalls....

FX Meister wrote:
    But hold on, you dont even own a car according to another post of yours here.

I knew someone was going to bring this up and its a pretty childish and shallow point. No i don't own a car but does that mean I shouldn't post up a thread on the motors board? I have stated it in a previous post on this same thread and a different thread when i was asking advice on cars.

I have driven both petrols and diesels over the past 9 years and i guess it comes down to this.

You either priorities looks in a car or value for money.

You either love diesels or you hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Sheep in wolf's clothing all the way for me!

I drive one of the slowest, least powerful cars on Irish roads - The 899cc Fiat Cinquecento. Its worth about E800 or so but I have spent just over 5 grand on getting it looking the way I want it to.

First off, I realise I could have bought a 'performance' car for that kind of money but then I wouldn't have a unique car. My car is one of a kind. There are no others like it in the world. I did some of the modding to it myself but mostly got it done by mates who are in the business.

Why call a Honda Civic 1.4 a poxy motor? Whats wrong with them exactly? Done up properly, they can look awesome and are solid cars - performance wise.

I drive my Cinq into work every day, never speeding, never breaking lights or driving down the bus lanes like the mundano/laguna/316 rep mobiles like to do. Then I get into my truck and drive all over the country. So it's not as if I hate the Turbo Diesels - I wouldnt make it up the speedbumps in our industrial estate without them.

Also, using words like bling and rims just proves that a person is a real fkn newbie. There is a European style of modifying which looks good on Euro cars, A Japanese style that looks good on Japanese cars and an American style which looks sh1t at all times.

FX Meister wrote:
    It's hard to tell which one you would go for?

If you took the time to read the thread properly you would see that its a public poll and you can quite clearly see which option i went for.

Peace wrote:

You either priorities looks in a car or value for money.

what happened to performance?

This poll gets spanner.jpg AWARD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Peace wrote:
    If you took the time to read the thread properly you would see that its a public poll and you can quite clearly see which option i went for.
    What's a poll?

Advertisement