Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Performance v's Bling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Pimp my ride please - I don't care if its 1bhp once it looks good.
    Why call a Honda Civic 1.4 a poxy motor? Whats wrong with them exactly? Done up properly, they can look awesome and are solid cars - performance wise.

I drive my Cinq into work every day, never speeding, never breaking lights or driving down the bus lanes like the mundano/laguna/316 rep mobiles like to do. Then I get into my truck and drive all over the country. So it's not as if I hate the Turbo Diesels - I wouldnt make it up the speedbumps in our industrial estate without them.

Why? because i don't like them. And i think cars that have had more money spent on the body work and appearance than that actual car is worth look silly.

There's no accounting for taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Sheep in wolf's clothing all the way for me!

I drive one of the slowest, least powerful cars on Irish roads - The 899cc Fiat Cinquecento. Its worth about E800 or so but I have spent just over 5 grand on getting it looking the way I want it to.

First off, I realise I could have bought a 'performance' car for that kind of money but then I wouldn't have a unique car. My car is one of a kind. There are no others like it in the world. I did some of the modding to it myself but mostly got it done by mates who are in the business.

Why call a Honda Civic 1.4 a poxy motor? Whats wrong with them exactly? Done up properly, they can look awesome and are solid cars - performance wise.

I drive my Cinq into work every day, never speeding, never breaking lights or driving down the bus lanes like the mundano/laguna/316 rep mobiles like to do. Then I get into my truck and drive all over the country. So it's not as if I hate the Turbo Diesels - I wouldnt make it up the speedbumps in our industrial estate without them.

Also, using words like bling and rims just proves that a person is a real fkn newbie. There is a European style of modifying which looks good on Euro cars, A Japanese style that looks good on Japanese cars and an American style which looks sh1t at all times.
    You truly are a mad man. Mad Man Manson perhaps?

FX Meister wrote:
    What's a poll?

Are you kidding?

Ratchet wrote:
    what happened to performance?

This poll gets AWARD

people were getting hung up on the use of the word 'performance' and starting to include stuff like formula 1 cars etc etc :rolleyes:

I replaced it with value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Peace wrote:
    Why? because i don't like them. And i think cars that have had more money spent on the body work and appearance than that actual car is worth look silly.

There's no accounting for taste.

That's it in a nutshell! There's no accounting for taste.

I really do laugh at guys with generic jobs (accounts clerk supervising technician) in generic suits (sorry, dont know any suit guys) driving generic cars (Laguna).

They laugh at me with ten three inch spikes on my head and an 800 euro car done up more than a junior cert nighter!

Some people like to be different, others just like to blend in.

(this post would almost feel at home in personal issues at this stage :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Fiat Cinquecento. Its worth about E800 or so but I have spent just over 5 grand on getting it looking the way I want it to

You are joking right? :eek:

unkel wrote:
    You are joking right? :eek:

100% serious Unkel - may even be close to 5 and a half at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

This aftermarket car decoration only appeals to around 3% of the population, mainly mad-maxxers who themselves are maybe slightly retarded, the rest of a mainly level-headed population just think you're an idiot,. it is your democratic right to be an idiot though, and nobody can deny you that.

Go forth and express yourselves icon14.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

528i wrote:
    This aftermarket car decoration only appeals to around 3% of the population, mainly mad-maxxers who themselves are maybe slightly retarded, the rest of a mainly level-headed population just think you're an idiot,. it is your democratic right to be an idiot though, and nobody can deny you that.

Go forth and express yourselves icon14.gif

nice try , your forgot to mention your group of conservative drivers, which drives one brand of the car through entire life . The only modding u get is factory bumper and shiny tip from dealer for crazy prize.

the only modification you will see in near future is that you change your 528i from manual to automatic as you get older :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

I've a new shinier badge on order [just incase the great unwashed mistake it for an inferior car], is that consider a mod? am I a modder now !¬

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

528i wrote:
    I've a new shinier badge on order [just incase the great unwashed mistake it for an inferior car], is that consider a mod? am I a modder now !¬

Yes!! Everyone troll this boy racer at once! lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I drive one of the slowest, least powerful cars on Irish roads - The 899cc Fiat Cinquecento. Its worth about E800 or so but I have spent just over 5 grand on getting it looking the way I want it to.
    Any chance of pics? Not my cup of tea but I am very curious as to what €5k's worth of Cinquecento modding actually equates to...fair play though, you obviously have the courage of your convictions.
    the only modification you will see in near future is that you change your 528i from manual to automatic as you get older
    Nothing wrong with some autos, I'll happily take the CL65AMG, ta very much

Gatster wrote:
    Any chance of pics? Not my cup of tea but I am very curious as to what €5k's worth of Cinquecento modding actually equates to...fair play though, you obviously have the courage of your convictions.

I also have a morbid curiosity... please pics if you will ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

A Cinquecento?

Oh no, please no. €5,000 on a Cinquecento makes baby jesus cry.

*shiver*

what's is kidding?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

I would take all 3.
    911 - classic looks, quick.
    GTO - great looks, not that quick.
    300zx TT - looks ok, goes like sh1t off a shovel.
    Not one of them under 3 litres.
    All you need is a garage policy.
    Anything under 1.8 is not really worth writing about. Lol. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Well when I decided to get a car, all I could afford was a 1.4. Being 21, the insurance was €4609 for Third Party! I'm pretty sure thats why you see youngfella's going round in slow(er) cars aspiring to change the look of their cars to faster models. Now that I've got a few yrs NCB, I can finally afford a quicker motor :) so for me, the priority has changed from bling to performance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Oh please show us some pictures - I have driven several Cinqs and you can't beat them for squeeling around roundabouts and frightening people in jeeps when you shoot up the non-existant space beside them and leave them for dust. Mutant shopping trolley ahoy!!!!

Does it look anything like these?

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

10771.jpg

actually that one doesnt look to bad

Yeah, that third pic is the bodykit I had before my current one so that's identical to what it looked like.

At the moment I am in Oz so I cant take any pics of my car which is in Dublin. I will be back in a couple of weeks though so I will satisfy your curiosity then! The other pics made me feel pretty ill though. :(

The Cinquecento is a hugely under rated car - anyone who has given them a chance has found them pretty good. They aren't gonna win you any races but they were at one point the cheapest car available in Ireland.

• Advertisement

YEah fantastic cars. My mate has a 00 reg one and has had to replace the clutch only three times so far. Or maybe it Sweeney and Forte who are doing shody work on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

FX Meister wrote:
    YEah fantastic cars. My mate has a 00 reg one and has had to replace the clutch only three times so far. Or maybe it Sweeney and Forte who are doing shody work on it.
    Or maybe he needs some driving lessons. Or smaller shoes.

The clutch assembly is the same as the one in all Cinq, Sei, Uno and Punto models so its not model specific. I can't comment on Sweeney and Forte, except to say that they don't have a parts dept anymore and may not have a maintenance dept either and could be farming the work to some savage on the Clonliffe road with a vise grips and a hammer.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Have a look at this Cinquecento on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9843&item=4532163833&rd=1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Isn't there a well known problem with the clutch cable routing on RHD Cinquecento's?
    FX Meister wrote:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

IrishRover wrote:

Oh no! not ferrari decals! thats just funny!

Have to say, i hate this generalisation going on, that if you change anything cosmetic about your car, automatically your a boy racer civic driving scumbag who has more money than sense! I have an integra, which (due to insurance) has only been modified cosmetically, but this year i'll be adding performance. The fact I got tints & alloys in keeping with the japenese style make me some kind of idiot or 'retarded' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Performance, no bling whatsoever (e.g. VR6 with no badges ;) ).

heggie wrote:
    Have to say, i hate this generalisation going on, that if you change anything cosmetic about your car, automatically your a boy racer civic driving scumbag who has more money than sense! I have an integra, which (due to insurance) has only been modified cosmetically, but this year i'll be adding performance. The fact I got tints & alloys in keeping with the japenese style make me some kind of idiot or 'retarded' ?

I don't think if you change the look of your car you get slotted into the boy racer box. I think it really depends on the car you are modding.

I have friends who've moded cars... body kits/chips (on Turbo diesels) etc and i wouldn't tag them with the boy racers name.
    heggie wrote:
    The fact I got tints & alloys in keeping with the japenese style make me some kind of idiot or 'retarded' ?

I wouldn't have called you an idiot.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Well, let's look at the cold face of Irish reality then.
    Neither makes sense.
    To get a REAL performance car, you need a big engine. You pay through the nose on VAT, VRT, insurance, tax and at the pump. And what kind of *performance* can you legally do? 80, 100, 120 km/h? paleeezze ...waste of money
    To get a REAL *bling* car you spend thousands on bits that YOU like and nobody else, therefore you'll probably get laughed at by a majority of people and never get your money back when it comes to selling ...again waste of money.

Might as well just throw the money out the window.

Drive whatever you like, whatever makes you reasonably happy within sensible limits, stick on alloys, if you must and save the money for *bling* or *performance* for something more tangible that REALLY makes you happy (good food, nice house, great holiday ...whatever tickles your fancy)

Did I just out myself as an old fogey? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

peasant wrote:
    Did I just out myself as an old fogey? :D

Nah, but you know as well as any other old fogey (me included) :D that common sense has little place where wheels and blokes (and few women) are concerned...

• Advertisement

peasant wrote:
    Might as well just throw the money out the window.

Drive whatever you like, whatever makes you reasonably happy within sensible limits, stick on alloys, if you must and save the money for *bling* or *performance* for something more tangible that REALLY makes you happy (good food, nice house, great holiday ...whatever tickles your fancy)

What makes you happy doesnt necessarily apply to the rest of us mate.

Advertisement