Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else not care about the Oscars?

• 25-02-2005 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

I'm not one bit interested in this poor excuse for entertainment only as an excuse to spit bile about something so awful. The one thing worse than watching edited highlights would be having to sit through the whole damn array of stupid songs, bad jokes, undeserving winners and billions of wasted cash.

Martin Scorcese is obviously going to clean up and after being rejected so many times he'll still turn up to accept his award for one of his worst films . . . no pride. Anyway he should have had his retina's removed after Gangs of New York . . .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Nope, not much interest here either! I'd rather be doing pretty much anything else other then watching the oscars, even if it meant doing some study

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Yup, couldn't give a toss about that or any other awards show. In particular though, the Oscars is a big pile of poo, moreso than say the BAFTAs or the Meteor awards.

Chringingly bad jokes, whinging biotches (there's always at least one) and a load of crap actors I wouldn't watch on a pirated DVD. No thanks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I watched 'em last year 'coz I wanted to see LotR get what it deserved but this year I've no emotional investment in any of the nominations. Also I'm not sure that it's being broadcast on terrestial tv live and there's no point in watching it if you know who the winner are.

This year, at least, I won't be angered/happy over the winners so I'll look at the results, nod, and know there should be others there (as always). More fun is watching the fights between the conservatives and liberals beforehand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

No interest. Vacuous shíte tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Etain

I have no interest. Haven't watched for a few years now. I don't want to know celebrity political views and I don't care what they are wearing.
    Even though he's hosting,Chris Rock made comments( not especially kind) about the people who were actually interested in the Oscars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Was only worth staying up for two years ago when the Iraq war had just kicked off and the speeches were electric, all building up to Moore's documentary win for Bowling for Columbine.

Of course, this year Fahrenheit 9/11 was entered for Best Picture not Best Documentary and he missed out on either! Wouldn't have been quite the same political climate even if he had been around as a nominee.

Any of the particularly weepy and cringeworthy speeches (in the vein of Paltrow and Berry) will be on the news on Monday morning anyway.

Only showing on Sky Movies 1 this year, with a Monday edited repeat (by Sky) on Sky One, with highlights also on RTE1. (RTE's edited version, edited in the US before being satellited overseas, is notable mostly because that Moore speech was completely chopped from it in 2003. So it's very much the less fun one.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Couldn't care less. Chris Rock was right when he said it's basically just a fashion show with celebs. Everyone kissing eachothers behinds and telling them how great they are, when the people that really deserve recognition don't get it. It's all politics.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Kirasawa rejected an award for them can't remember the words he use but some thing like "self congratulatroy"

I can remember one Late Late Show where they gave NO fashion award because the standard wasn't high enough. Imagine that in Hollywood where they'd award two oscars on some years and none on others..

And far too many awards going to people because of thier previous body of work and not necessarily for the current flick.

Also too much spent on ads in local mags to "buy" the awards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I think it's kind of ironic that in the edited version they leave out the editing award. It's like we do need you to edit, but we aren't even going to pretend that anyone gives a damn about your profession.

And I do care about the Oscars. I care that Malcolm in the Middle was not on Sky this week because of some bulls**t Oscar pre-show with Sharon Osborne and Jamie Theakston. And that last week RTE showed 2 episodes of Scrubs as the would showing the Oscars this Monday and I didn't know and only taped the first ep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The Oscars are getting worse every year.
    I made a point of seeing nearly every main film nominated and to be honest I could think of far better nominees in each category.
    I notice most of the main films are released by Miramax who whore themselves to win awards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I'll be watching cos' I like all the glamour and to know who won before other people. That, and the speeches can be pretty memorable. Sentimental me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Blargh, it's a dreadfull shambles of a show. Let me put it this way, in the year when Edward Norton was up for best supporting actor for his role in Primal Fear, Cuba Gooding Junior recieved the award for shouting show me the money. A shambles I tells you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Couldn't care less.

who won?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Goodshape wrote:
    who won?

Full list here

Hmm, at least that whole "marty got what deserved , exclusion from medicority" quote still stands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Cheers.
    Best original screenplay
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

That's about the only winning film I've seen. Also the only film in that catagory I've seen. Good to see it get the award all the same.

Advertisement