Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dialling 1800 Numbers from abroad

Options
  • 25-02-2005 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if it is possible to dial a 1800 number from outside Ireland?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No, by design.

From abroad 1800 would be a Dublin number beginning with 800, of which there are none , nor are there any 850 or 890 or 891 numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Somebody has just left a message on my english mobile to call them back on a 1800 number....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That silly beggar. Best bet is to find out a direct line for the company he's with.

If it's that important he'll ring you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

This is of no use to you. Just of note:

With an Irish o2 Speakeasy mobile you can call 1800 numbers from abroad. Costs 99c/min though!
    Whatever the code is.. something like *#123#1800
    Then the number rings you back and hey presto. Pure profit for o2!

There may be a voip solution also...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

just pick up a landline and forward it to a 1-800

*21* (then enter 1-800 number) then press #

to switch it off, lift receiver and dial #21#

then ring the landline from abroad and you'll be connected to the 1-800

you will only be charged for the initial call to this landline.

• Advertisement

tck wrote:
    just pick up a landline and forward it to a 1-800

*21* (then enter 1-800 number) then press #

to switch it off, lift receiver and dial #21#

then ring the landline from abroad and you'll be connected to the 1-800

you will only be charged for the initial call to this landline.

Not useful if you live in the UK though.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

If you know what company the guy is it with just look it up in the Golden PAges online.

I don't know what the company is...

I assume it is the credit control company of some bill I have forgotten about before I left Ireland. As it is something I have forgotten about...I don't have a clue who the company is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

do you know anyone in ireland at all ?

get them to forward their landline for 2 mins while you check the voicemail!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

You can PM me the 1800 number, and I'll ring them to find out the landline number they use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

from ireland to the uk you can call a uk freephone number so you should be able to do the same back

for uk freephone numbers when dialling from ireland you insert 0044 and drop the leading 0 from the uk freephone number.

not sure if it will work the other way but try 00 353 800 XXXX and see. it's set up by the network operators so eircom probably have it barred. If you can make it you'll probaly be charged for the international portion of the call though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

See Spongebobs frist reply about 800 etc. numbers.

Dropping the leading 0 is a convention when dialling from international; but our freephone etc numbers start with 1 (1800, 1890 etc.), unlike England where they start with 0.

It is of course technically possible to implement it, but hey, possible # actual.

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭aaronc

If you're still looking for something you can use:

+353-1-4361725 and enter the 1800 number at the prompt.

Aaron

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Sponge Bob wrote:
    No, by design.

From abroad 1800 would be a Dublin number beginning with 800, of which there are none , nor are there any 850 or 890 or 891 numbers.

I beg to differ my friend. Some numbers in Swords start with 890.

Calina

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Correct, but his point still remains, dialling +353 1 800 256 256 will get you through to a Dublin number that may or may not exist.
    .cg

Advertisement