Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Export/ Import - Outlook 2000 + 2002

• 25-02-2005 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to export my .pst file from a home pc running Win XP & Outlook 2000 to a laptop running XP + Outlook 2002.

When I try importing to the laptop - I get a message saying that I do not have sufficient rights on the file to import it ?.

The mail setup on the two machines is identical & I have admin rights on both - any ideas ??

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Make sure you are dealing with a copy of the PST - you can't open it or copy it if Outlook or mapisp32 are running. check for pfbackup on microsofts web site.

In outlook 2003 the format changes so you have to generate a outlook 97 file first and copy email folders into it - simply exporting won't work since it will generate the new format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Thanks - pfbackup is a nice tool, but unfortunately hasn't solved my problem. I get a message saying that the file may be incompatible with this version of Outlook or the file may be corrupt.

The Outlook version is identical - both systems installed from the same disk & the .pst file can't be corrupt - have tried it several backups from my own profile and similar from my wife's profile to her profile on this machine.

It just wont let me access the emails ? -any thoughts

Cheers

Andi

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

pfbackup is kinda idiot proof since it generates a copy when the user closes outlook so the file can't be locked open.

all I can suggest is to create a new PST on the machine you want to copy TO, take this pst to the machine you want to export from and copy the folders into it - ie. use a PST you know will work when you get it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Cheers Capt'n - I hadn't thought of that one - worked a treat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Make sure you are dealing with a copy of the PST - you can't open it or copy it if Outlook or mapisp32 are running. check for pfbackup on microsofts web site.

In outlook 2003 the format changes so you have to generate a outlook 97 file first and copy email folders into it - simply exporting won't work since it will generate the new format.

I store my email in PST's. I am currently running Office 2003 demo on one machine and Office 2002 on another. I copy the PSTs back and forth no problem. Whats this format change with 2003 you are taking about?

• Advertisement

I store my email in PST's. I am currently running Office 2003 demo on one machine and Office 2002 on another. I copy the PSTs back and forth no problem. Whats this format change with 2003 you are taking about?
    File - Data file management - Add
    You can choose either PST (only outlook 2003 can read)
    or 97-2002 PST (all versions from 97 to 2002=Xp and 2003 can read)

The new format is supposed to to up to 20GB or something, but I've never found it stable after about 4GB-5GB , but comparison the old format died horribly at 2GB and all you could to to repair it was trim bits off the end till it got below 2GB.

Advertisement