Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ranieri Sacked

• 25-02-2005 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

MADRID, Feb 25 (Reuters) - Claudio Ranieri was sacked as Valencia coach on Friday just eight months after taking charge at the Primera Liga club.

The decision was taken at a board meeting brought forward to Friday following the side's surprise elimination from the UEFA Cup at the hands of Steaua Bucharest.

"We have decided to replace Claudio Ranieri as sporting director and coach of Valencia football club," Valencia president Juan Bautista told a news conference at the Mestalla.

"We understand, and he too understands, that the results of the club in the last few weeks have not been the most appropriate and have had the effect of distancing us from the objectives we set ourselves at the start of the season."

Soler said that former assistant Antonio Lopez, who worked alongside Rafa Benitez when he was in charge at Valencia, would take over as the new coach.

Valencia, who won both the UEFA Cup and the Spanish title last season, let slip a 2-0 first-leg lead to end up losing on penalties to former European champions Steaua on Thursday.

Ranieri's future was already in the balance following his side's miserable run of form in the league, causing them to slip to sixth place in the standings after a six-game winless run.
    http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldFootballNews&storyID=URI:urn:newsml:reuters.com:20050225:MTFH99903_2005-02-25_14-12-58_L25358727:1

I made it pretty obvious on this forum that I didn't rate Ranieri when he was at Chelsea. Nice man though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

HAHAHAHA - sorry but its all the tinker man's fault:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

here here, Valencia were a quality side last year, I don't know how he has messed it up so much. My only concern is that this means Aimar might not come to Utd like I want him to :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Koeman has left Ajax too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Ranieri in my opinion just didnt fit in there at all, but I am still reeling after Koeman leaving Ajax. Being a long time Ajax fan I am extremely disappointed, Louis van Gaal is set to become Az Alkmaar manager in the Summer, maybe he could be given his old job back at Ajax seen as his still currently Director Of Football, if not bring back the on form soon departing manager of Az Alkmaar Co Adrianse. Co has totally turned Alkmaar's game around this season .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

that whole save ranieri campaign that went on in the media and with the chelsea supporters is starting to look completley ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

In fairness he did very well the season before Abramovich bought the club. Some of his buys were atrocious though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

PHB wrote:
    here here, Valencia were a quality side last year, I don't know how he has messed it up so much. My only concern is that this means Aimar might not come to Utd like I want him to :(

How old is he now,would he be up to the challenge or be another "veron" :(

He is now 25!
    He has just been that good for that long that you think hes old
    25 and one of the best midfielders in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

He needs a formation built around him though. Ferguson can't seem to build a formation around Rooney and keeps asking him to do things he's unsuited to, I can't see how he could cope with getting the best out of Aimar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'm hearing horrible rumours from Holland that Martin Jol will be offered the Ajax job.

Hands off Ajax!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'm hearing horrible rumours from Holland that Martin Jol will be offered the Ajax job.

Hands off Ajax!
    http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=258555&cpid=8&CLID=6&lid=&title=Jol+plays+down+Ajax+talk&channel=Premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hands off Ajax!

Couldn't see him leaving a big club like Spurs for Ajax. He is doing quite well and appears to be happy so unless there are problems in the background I think he'll resist any offer to move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The Muppet wrote:
    Couldn't see him leaving a big club like Spurs for Ajax.

Think you got the teams mixed up in that sentence!
    1 team mid table obscurity for over 30 years the other champions league winners with a 50,000 seater stadium and more than lkiley 1st or 2nd in the league every year.

Only reason he would stay imo is that at Ajax he would have to sell rather than buy.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

KdjaC wrote:
    Think you got the teams mixed up in that sentence!
    1 team mid table obscurity for over 30 years the other champions league winners with a 50,000 seater stadium and more than lkiley 1st or 2nd in the league every year.

Only reason he would stay imo is that at Ajax he would have to sell rather than buy.

kdjac

I probably should have said I can't see him move from the Premiership to the dutch league, I know Ajax is a big club but at the moment the Premiership would be a more prestigeous job and financially more lucrative IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I think not having to sell your latest 18 year old superstar every season would be the biggie. Speaking of which Van Der lad should be on his way in the summer, wonder who will get him.

/m looks at Spurs and their need for 15 midfielders.

kdjac

tbh I doubt Van der Vaart will go to Spurs.

Ajax's only downside is that they have to sell players all the ****ign time, they must be loaded though, but they spend that on their youth team.
    its really an amazing academy they have over there

Advertisement