Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais conversion rates

Options
  • 25-02-2005 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

All,
    Have you ever looked at your gas bill and wondered why it is so much?
    I did that very thing this morning!

I compared it to my previous bill and noticed something very interesting. The conversion rate for changing m3 (meter cubed) of natural gas to kWh (kilo Watt hour) was different on both bills! (One was 11.4325, the other was 11.2314)

Having done a little research on this topic I found out that the typical conversion rate should be approx 10.8! See link http://www.engva.org/view.phtml?page=127.phtml

The fact that Bord Gais have a higher rate means that we are being charged more for using the amount of gas than we actually used!

Could someone please tell me why Bord Gais have a variable rate? and also why it is above the typical conversion rate?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

variable rate depends on the quality of gas
    eg : if they are getting **** gas pumped in you are going to burn more gas to get more heat
    whereas if they are getting good gas,you burn less and gain more heat,hence the variating conversion rate.
    The conversion rate never makes much difference to your bill anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2 littleox

I'm not suprised about the little cheats that increase income, however, I'm more put out about the exorbitant price increases from a state body that has a monoply.

My last gas bill was €232. OK, I know it went up, but a 9.1% increase still doesn't account for the difference. So I checked and was amazed at what I discovered. In the same billing period 3 years ago, my bill would have been €133
    I make thats an increase of 53.5% in a 3 year period. (In Dec '01 kWh unit cost was 2.047 whereas in Dec '04 kWh unit rate is 3.145)

In any other european country, price increases (particularly for state bodies) are kept within the consumer price index, but this is plainly a case of corporate avarice gone mad!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

FWIW I find that my gas bill is the cheapest of all my utilities...electricity is extremely dear.

Advertisement