Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carlin Cup Final (may contain scores)

• 25-02-2005 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭

So now that the dust has settled after the CL matches it is time for the first trophy of the english season to be decided. I am hoping for a Liverpool victory and a lot will depend on the formation Liverpool play, I am hoping for 4-4-2 instead of 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1 (depending on whether we have the ball or not)

I am quite worried though that some ex-Liverpool players are confident that Liverpool will do well, Hansen and Lawro should know better than to talk up Liverpools chances. Although if they win I wonder will Mourinho accuse Benetiz of talking to the ref?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

4-4-2??????? Never! :D

I'd like Pool will go with the following

============Dudek

Finnan===Hyypia===Carra====Traroe

Garcia===Biscuit===Hamman==Kewell

===========Gerrard

========Morientes or Baros

Very attack minded in orther words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think this is a very very very tough match to call.
    Gerrard might have his last chance to lift a trophy for Liverpool, something I'm sure he'd love to do before he leaves.
    Liverpool I'm sure also feel hard done by rom the last game.
    Chelsea aren't as strong without Robben, but could still easily score vs Liverpools defense and Dudek.
    It'll be an entertaining game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Chelsea...they will be itching for it. They will win 1 - 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I.ll go for a liverpool win , I think if they get their tactics right they can sneek it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Promises to be a great game, I personally would pick Baros ahead of Morientes at the moment - even despite his misses during the week he is excellent at taking people on and has a tremendous work rate.

It is going to be very tough to call, Gallas is a doubt for Chelsea but Duff and Drogba will start. Can see it being won by the odd goal in 3, possibly to the blues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'm sick that this game is on at the same time as the Ireland V Englad six nations game, I suspect there will be some fun in the pubs sunday with people arguing over whats on the TV.

Anyway back to the game, I think the pool have a good chance but their big players will have to be at their best, if Gerrard can control the midfield and Baros and Morientes can take whatever chances come their way they certainly could lift the trophy. On the other hand if Hypia has another off Chelsea could have a field day.

I'll go with a Pool win but I think it will be close and could come down to peno's!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It's amazing that everyone has said Liverpool.. I am not so confident, more hopeful really!!

Mind you, Benitez got the tactics exactly right that last time we met.. Still lost though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I'm going with Chelsea to edge it, its going to be a similar team with possibly Jiri (Jurassic Park) coming in for Tiago, either Eidur or Cole will get the nod, I think Pool fans have seen enough of Mr Cole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm quietly confident the Reds can nick it. Last time they played at Anfield Liverpool were the better team and only some terrible refereeing and a lack of firepower up front cost us. With Morientes thrown into the equation, I think we'll do it.

Parker and Robben in squad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

smuckers wrote:
    Parker and Robben in squad.
    Remind me never to bet on Chelsea. Mourinho said yesterday that Robben isn't even a doubt, he's not going to be considered.

ah I did a little more searching and Cudicini is in there, he just wants everybody there, though Parker is closer to action more than Robben.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I have a sneaky feeling that Liverpool might nick this one although the bookies don't agrre with me. They have the Pool down at 3-1 for the win which are decent enough odds.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I like the look of 18-1 for Riise to be first goalscorer. The form he's in, it's got to be worth €5.

Thank god Gallas is fit otherwise they'd have a field day with Johno.

Key battles:

Terry vs Morientes- have bad memories of the CL he was class that day.
    Drogba Vs Hypia- if Drogba is fully fit then I think latter will struggle, hopefully he'll have his finishing boots polished.
    Lampard Vs Gerrard- if Gerrard is firing all cylinders, then he'll edge the encounter, expecting a big game from Frank who disappeared in midweek after reduced to 10 men a nice pass to Duffer or the goal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I like the look of 18-1 for Riise to be first goalscorer. The form he's in, it's got to be worth €5.

Already taken a bit of that action, as well as the pool to win at 3-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I'm in work tomorrow. Anyone know of somewhere I can watch, or at least listen to, the game online?

Edit: And I'm nervously confident (eh?) of a Liverpool win.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am setting up two TVs right beside each other so I can watch both games.

As for who will win...well it will be hard but I think if an early goal goes in this could be a cracker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

My local pub has 3 TV's anyway so I'll be in there. Eye mainly on the rugby of course.

btw super_furry, definitely going with Riise at those odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eirebhoy wrote:
    btw super_furry, definitely going with Riise at those odds.

I've taken those odds too! Boards.ie should be a happy place tomorrow if he scores first! :)

B.

• Advertisement

Milltown its going to be on BBC 5 live if you can get access to it 697 and 909 MW or via the web prolly www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/live/surestream_int.ram this should work tomorrow

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Don't have and can't get Real Player in work :(
    Any WMP options?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

go to Liverpool.tv and sign up for an eseason ticket it only costs 2/3 euro a month,they have all the games Live...and if you dont like it just cancel after the first month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Dudek, Finnan, Hyypia, Carragher, Traore, Garcia, Hamann, Gerrard, Riise, Kewell, Morientes

Subs: Carson, Pellegrino, Nunez, Baros, Biscan

4-4-1-1 by the sounds of it

=======Dudek

Finnan, Hyypia, Carragher, Traore

Garcia, Hamann, Gerrard, Riise

============Kewell

=======Morientes

Mike.

That linup depends on Kewell putting in a good performance. I haven't seen him since he came back from injury, not sure I would depend on him so much if he is still in his pre injury form.
    It's going to be very tough for that attack to break down the Chelsea defence

Riise has scored - **** me! :D

Mike.

Holy **** You Rich ****ers!!!

---

I feel dirty as hell, cheering for liverpool, my grandad is rolling in his grave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Riise!! :eek:

• Advertisement

Yessssssssssss

Nice One.

cough, exactly the problem with Cole playing as one of the wing forwards, doesn't get back to defend, duff woulda been there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

And that is no new problem...that has always been the case with him. I remember Mourinho saying months ago how cole has a beautiful face going forward but he is ugly or something coming back...

Go on the Pool.

PS: Never said that before...

Lampard strikes and Dudek catches cleanly! Phew...:)

Mike.

Definate peno not given to Liverpool.

Dudek makes a great save to stop drogba just after it.
    Dudek must be in for a good day :)

• Advertisement

Pools midfield really must get the foot on the ball and get some possession.

Mike.

Steve Bennet is a bellend.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

he certainly is . .
    happy for all you who put a bet on risse :)

Jose Mourinho is loosing it on the touchline with the 4th offical.

Rafa is bringing on Nunez...I think.

Flips sake, Chelsea have soooooooo much possession.

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

What is Jose's Mourinho problem. He had just had a go an Jamie Carragher,and had to be restrained by the chelsea assistant. He is a bad loser. I really hope liverpool go on to score another goal or two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Great double save from Dudek there

Chelsea should be back on level terms only for those two fine saves

Amazing stuff from Dudek, he appears to be rising to Barthez level :D

Nunez is on :( Kewell is bad but Nunez :/
    Lets hope he preforms

Dont worry liverpool fans. Theres no point having that amount of pressure unless you can score a goal. Liverpool will get another chance or two to finish them off

Stats

Possession:
    Liverpool 41%
    Chelsea 59%

Shots:
    Liverpool 1
    Chelsea 7

Corners:
    Liverpool 0
    Chelsea 5

Fouls:
    Liverpool 13
    Chelsea 9

Bookings:
    Liverpool 2
    Chelsea 1

I wonder how long until Baros is introduced and Garcia withdrawn. I'd get Gerrard off unless he gets on top of Lampard and put Biscan on.

Mike.

What a hit by Hamann and what a unbelievable save by Cech

Biscan is getting ready to come on for Traore

Traore off, Riise to LB and Biscan on.

Mike.

Gerrard seems either tired, or lethargic, I don't know, but his movement is just terrible off the ball

Morientes off and Baros on, Gallas off, Kesman on.

Gerrard misses.

Mike.

hahahah, the irony, steven gerrard scores an og, the papers are going to talk!

• Advertisement
Advertisement