Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fastest Speed Attained???

Options
  • 25-02-2005 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭

Prompted by bizarre, unsubstantiated claims of 194mph in a Skyline in another thread, What is the fastest anyone has actually driven (or been driven), in what and where?

December 2004 flat out in a VW Passat 2.8 V6 4-Motion, about 150Mph for about 4 miles on the Autobahn outside of Frankfurt

or

Summer 1991 flat out in a Ford Sierra Sapphire Cosworth 4x4, again at 150mph on the M4 in the South of England

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There was an old thread on this very subject dug up about 2 weeks ago with a ****load of replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

I think anything over the national speed limit is abit irresponsible.. but I once heard of a 140mph peugeot 106 clocked around waterford direction (probably in a 30zone too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭boy1er1990

my car go 900mph

ford sierra 1990 2.5

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

528i wrote:
    I think anything over the national speed limit is abit irresponsible.. but I once heard of a 140mph peugeot 106 clocked around waterford direction (probably in a 30zone too)

Waterford/Tramore is full of knob end boy racers. They do loops of the town and rev the engine when they see people (not sure why, they must think that nobodys seen seen a Civic before).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I did around 570 mph (Boeing 747)

• Advertisement

Waterford/Tramore is full of knob end boy racers. They do loops of the town and rev the engine when they see people (not sure why, they must think that nobodys seen seen a Civic before).

its their mating call :cool:

and the cars have k&n induction kits & NOs to help make haste from the, ahem,.. rougher contingent within the female variety in heat ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

155 jag s type in belfast on the way home to dublin with my da and his mate, his mate just bought the car up there and wanted to try it out :D

There are quite a few Girl Racers in Waterord these days a s well. Mostly Sporty Puntos abut iv seen Focus as well.

the 'girl racers' have been known to possess masculine features down south [if you pardon the pun].. so ya might wanna do an oul 'mick dundee' on 'em before any heavy petting lykee.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

200,000 kph. (The speed at with the earth is currently moving)
    ((I made that up)). However, some scientists say the earth is actually moving at close to the speed of light which is 186,000 miles per second.

Anyway, I drove in mondello park once but they disconnected the speedo because people crash when they look at it. But I think I probably reached about 100mph. I did the lap in under a minute.

• Advertisement

528i wrote:
    the 'girl racers' have been known to possess masculine features down south [if you pardon the pun].. so ya might wanna do an oul 'mick dundee' on 'em before any heavy petting lykee.. ;)

Not even with yours....

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Full forward.
    If you did the lap in under 1 minute then you would have just touched 95 mph (in the single seater). If your lap included a quick entry/exit through parabolica ( difficult to get under a minute if you are crap through that corner).
    There are no speedos in the single seater, revs are what matters. esp mid corner. Fair play....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

159mph in my dads modified St220 last summer. Dont worry it wasnt on a public road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

115mph in my totota corolla last summer about 5.30 am on the Bray by pass coming back from the airport (the steering wheel was shaking to be damned)

or approx 140mph in my mate's father's SLK many moons ago :D (the father was driving I may add)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

120mph in a fiat multipla taxi outside rome (motorway) while tailgating a smart car.
    One of the strangest moments in my life. Them Italians just have no fear on the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Over 160mph on the back of a bike on the naas rd, was an old gfs bro that was dropping me to work. It was his track day bike he brought over from england... The man was a nutter. I was so pale when i got into work they sent me home... I'll never forget that day...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

The fastest speed a person has ever been clocked by the cops in england is 154mph, I though it would be faster?

Ive done about 130mph while driving a rolls royce on Xmas day about 4 years ago, felt very wierd, no real sensation of speed. very scary getting it to stop.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

driving - 105mph in my corsa gsi

drivin - 120mph m8's 200sx turbo - but like a lot of pple say, when a car is built for it you dont notice till you look at the clock :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Actually an RAF Tornado was accidentally clocked doing over 650mph (about half of its top speed) - police were out doing a speed trap and apparently the speed reading came up as a motorbike was approaching them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Hope they stopped the biker to show him the ticket.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Rew wrote:

you can do a reverse psycology on this. Take an old beaten piece of crap car, like an 88corsa, and remove the airfilter.

when you see a crowd of skangers, put the boot down. Its so funny, the lads look back thinkin is a **** cool car and realise its a crappy corsa. They get pretty pissed when you laugh at them!

used to do this back in the days before work, taunting scumbags.

on the top speed subject:

142Mph, 90/94 Freeeway (US), 1988 oldsmobile cutlass supreme (driven 2003!), hilarious car, check out the bottom photo: http://www.4wheelz.net/oldsmobile/n...ass_supreme.htm

102Mph N11, 93 Nissan Sunny, pretty pathetic

115mph, 100cc kart, mondelllo park, flat through duckhams ;)

felt safest in the Kart!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I got 118mph out of my lowly '99 Xsara 1.4i 8Valve... on the M4 before Maynooth before I had to turn off for Maynooth! I thought it was good, considering the 1.4 Xsara (1st version, as mine is) had a theoretical maximum speed of 112mph...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

112mph in my 91' 1.6 mazda 323 GT yesterday on the Shannon-Ennis Dual Carriageway. Had to get home in time for the second half of the rugby match.

Hit about 105mph in a 01' 1.6 Fiat Marea a few weeks ago, then got about 100mph in a '97 Vectra 1.6 prior to that.

That's about the extent of it. Only 18, have had full licence since November and been insured for about 4 months on the 3 different cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

77 mph and the ticket to prove it !

not impressed ? Well, YOU try and go faster in a twenty year old VW Camper with a puney 1.6 Diesel and a high roof :D

Other than that ... a constant 125 mph for about an hour on a German motorway in a 1.8 A4. An hour at that speed in reasonable traffic is something else, really drains your concentration right out of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭XT_Dweezil

165 mph on a Yamaha R1

The highway between Gothenburg and Halstad in Sweden

Advertisement