Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT Independent

Options
  • 25-02-2005 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Any of ye read it?? Simple question.

Just curious!

F.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

We've our own paper now??! :eek:

One word.. JAYSUS!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

AlienGav wrote:
    We've our own paper now??! :eek:

One word.. JAYSUS!! :eek:

Eh...the DIT Indo has been going for at least 5 or 6 years! That's obviously a no from Alien, so. Anyone else?

Actually, AlienGav, what branch are you in, out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

yeah i read it, there was an article in the latest one on where how to buy ur first car which i found really good. Will hopefully be getting my car during the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

roxy wrote:
    AlienGav, what branch are you in, out of interest?

I'm doing Physics Technology, at Kevin Street. cough... geeky i know! :) You?
    Will hopefully be getting my car during the summer

Congrats good buddy, hope u get a good un :D

-gav

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭eefs

I used to, when I was in the country. And I wrote for it. Do I get a prize for that? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Yeah I read it.

I think it needs to be published more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Think its a rag tbh.

The latest issue had some bollox about trinity giving out masters to arts graduates for doing nothing.

Talk about being bitter. It was on the front page too.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭eefs

tba wrote:
    Yeah I read it.

I think it needs to be published more often.
    hahahaha

Please don't say things like that. ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Faddymackshyte

Yeah, I've read it, they just seem to be litter in the SU though!! Every where you sit, there is bound to be at least one!!! It's grand though, although it can be very boring at times!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I use it to stuff the pockets in the pool tables so it does have its uses..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

ballooba wrote:
    Think its a rag tbh.

The latest issue had some bollox about trinity giving out masters to arts graduates for doing nothing.

Talk about being bitter. It was on the front page too.

Hmm if DIT produces any rags, it's the feckin Dog's Bollox, not the Indo. The Trinity Masters story was to draw attention to the huge discrepencies in Irish third-level institutions. I think the fact that one person attaining a masters in DIT (or most other colleges) has to spend a couple of grand, attend lectures, write a 20,000 word thesis and sit exams, while another person can simply write a cheque is pretty shocking.

But anyway. You obviously don't think so. Not to worry.

Sorry if I'm a bit antsy about the paper - I do write for it occasionally but I'm not on the editorial team. It's just I was told today that someone running in the SU elections was complaining that it wasn't tabloidy enough...the same person also thought the masthead should be in red - just coz - ...and also complained that the paper looked far too similar to the Irish Independent. They were then told nicely that the paper is sponsored by the Independent (hence the green harp in the corner) and so the feckin thing is MEANT to be reminiscent of the Indo. I ask ye...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I don't understand why anyone gets worked up about things like the TCD MA, it's not exactly a scam or anything, it's just a traditional oddity.

Read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master's

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

do you not think that it undervalues the Trinity Masters?

Not particularly. If people can't tell for themselves what the value of an education is without resorting to comparing words then they deserve to not know what the hell is going in IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

tba wrote:
    do you not think that it undervalues the Trinity Masters?
    MAs in Oxford, Cambridge and Dublin

The universities of Oxford, Cambridge and Dublin award master's degrees to BAs without further examination, when a certain number of years after matriculation (7 in the case of Oxford and Cambridge) have passed, and upon payment of a nominal fee. It is commonplace for recipients of the degree to have graduated several years previously and to have had little official contact with the university or academic life since then. The only real significance of these degrees is that they historically conferred voting rights in University elections, and certain other privileges e.g. the right to dine at high table. For the purpose of comparison, they are considered equivalent to BA/BSc degrees of other universities. The MAs awarded by Oxford and Cambridge are colloquially known as the Oxbridge MA. The University of Cambridge also offers an MA to senior staff both academic and non academic after five years employment with the university.

Until the advent of the modern research university in the mid 19th century, several other British and American universities also gave such degrees "in course".
    Means it's a worthless piece of muck in other words...

Cripes almighty. Yes, that's the obvious conclusion.

Why do you bother posting if you have nothing worth saying?

Advertisement