Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart employee happy to answer questions on bb rollout

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Just donea line test on the smart website and it says i am enabled for access through the belcamp exchange but i fail the eircom line test so can i expect smart to be able to connect me to broadband or not
    pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 thebigdude

Hey Garfield, i noticed your line check now says you have a "trigger program"... I'm on the Merrion exchange, can you give me an idea how many people "registered their interest" from merrion, and how many you're looking for to extend your network to cover it?

I actually can't even get normal DSL from anyone now because eircon says there's a "health and safety issue" at the exchange which will delay the upgrade of my line indefinitely perhaps. Does this mean Smart won't be able to do it either, or are eircon just lazy b**tards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Hi Smart Employee.

I have signed up to the trigger program since Smart Telecom isnt available at my exchange.

I have a few questions : -

1) I live 6.5km from the exchange in question. With such a distance invovled to the exchange, Will I be able to avail of the 2MB BB if the exchange is Smart broadband enabled ?

2)Say I'm not in the first 100k customers subscribing to BB, Do I have to pay line rental as well as BB charges ? Or can I just pay for the broadband service ?

MANY THANKS

jolly

ref 206084

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bigun

Garfield,
    I live in clondalkin and signed up to smart bb but i would like to know if there is some kind of idea as to when the exchange will go live as march/april is a bit fague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

howdy

just a question

i really would like a 2mb connection since im on the coolock exchange however i just want smart broadband like i have esat broadband i dont want to be pushed into using the service for my phonecalls etc as im happy to let eircom take care of that

can i do that with this product ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Err guys; I think he’s gone…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

No reason for him to stay. 2 reasons for him to go:

a) nothing but repeat questions now
    b) muppetry on the part of a few childish posters (I don't mean those who offered fair and reasoned criticisms)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I sent in my direct debit mandate a few weeks ago. I've emailed SMART quite a few times since to get them to acknowledge recipt - no luck so far. Are they any more helpful if you phone them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I phoned them up yesterday morning. They told me that they were busy and took my name and number and told me that that they would get back to me.

I waited all day for a call, so at 4pm I phoned them back. I got talking to someone who knew something. She said that they got 2000 calls and they couldnt call everyone back. She said that she thought the range for SMART from the exchange was 8km approx. but she didnt know :S but she was as helpful as she could be :)

I got a reply today:

Dear xxxx,
    I just wish to confirm that we have received your direct debit mandate. We
    will be in contact with you as the date of your exchange to go live draws
    closer.
    Regards

Brooke McVeagh
    Smart Telecom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

digitaldr wrote:
    I got a reply today:

Dear xxxx,
    I just wish to confirm that we have received your direct debit mandate. We
    will be in contact with you as the date of your exchange to go live draws
    closer.
    Regards

Brooke McVeagh
    Smart Telecom
    An email reply, I presume?
    Although I've emailed them and *requested* confirmation that they received my DD form, I've still not heard from them.

Yes it was an Email

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Garfield,

Will I be able to use my existing broadband equipment with the Smart broadband offering? Namely the netopia 3347W wireless router, sold by eircom.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

netman wrote:
    Garfield,

Will I be able to use my existing broadband equipment with the Smart broadband offering? Namely the netopia 3347W wireless router, sold by eircom.

Thanks!

Apparently current equipment is not fully compatible with Smarts offering (adsl2) but Netgear are working on a firware update and Linksys have a new version of the Wag54g out so in time probably all the main manufacturers will release a firmware update.

Incidentally the linksys is cheaper than the wireless modem Smart will be offering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Smart will probably deploy TR-069 compatible DSL CPE which is why they won't let you self provison.

Welcome back Dub45 :) Wonder where Garfield went ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Got fed up of all the crap and left?

I would of if I was in his place.

He is here to explain about smarts bb package and people moan and bitch at him about it, he doesn't have to come here and tell us ****. But he did and you guys ****ed him over, he left. Seems fair to me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

TimTim wrote:

He is here to explain about smarts bb package and people moan and bitch at him about it, he doesn't have to come here and tell us ****. But he did and you guys ****ed him over, he left. Seems fair to me.

SEX! Joke. Erm, I wouldnt go that far but hey. Anytime I called Smart they didnt know who he was or knew if they had a rep on boards.ie!

- Sully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

TimTim wrote:

That's crap. He was here pimping the service. Don't delude yourself he was doing us a service - he was pimping for business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭uum

Garfield if you are still around i've a question.

I live in rathmines very close to the swan centre but i dont have a phone number to test if my area is compatible/available to get your service.
    Do you know if i can get the service there?
    When will it become availbale?
    Thank you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Hi,

I've been out of the office all week and was away at the weekend (Paris, 8MB for €29.99, wow).

I haven't checked the posts, but I will and will respond (long list growing), no doubt the non-believers think I have headed for the hills, but just busy with physical colocation in eircom exchanges, civils, backhaul, etc.

I'll be back tomorrow.

Garfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I was told to ring 01 4699300 and ask to be put through to the Broadband dept and they would take my CC details...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sully wrote:
    Hey,

I have some questions I hope you can answer, im sorry if they where answered before, I read the whole topic but I could of missed it!

1) I see Waterford is in Phase 2, but does that include County Waterford? Im using UTV (and there really p*ssing me off at the moment) Broadband and Phone Service in Tramore Co. Waterford - your site said it wasnt available but can you let me know of any estimated date it will be around in Tramore?

2) I see people wish higher upload speeds, wouldnt mind them myself either as it would be ideal for me but it doesnt matter! Any ideas yet if these are going to be offered yet?

3) Also notice people want Static IPs - any ideas yet if this is going to be offered?

4) What Modem is "shipped" out with this product?

5) Do I have to use your telephone service aswell as the broadband? Or can I just be with Smart for broadband only and UTV or someone else for the Telephone service?

6) People who use P2P on Smart - What happens to them?

Thanks in advance for your assistance! Your sites not working for me by the way.

- Sully

Bumped for notice again -- see below to my extra question, please respond Garfield as I have not got on great getting it from the main support line (didnt have time to call back really, though one was supposed to call me :\)

Also, a friend of mine is living in Fenor, Tramore Co.waterford (just outside Tramore, very very small population compared to Tramore itself - a little village by itself and its 20-30mins from Tramore) claims Smart Telecom called her up and said they would install broadband for them straight away if they went with them.

I thought Waterford wasnt even due connection with Smart untill May/June? And Fenor of all places has been offered broadband? Why is this? Is this the false party offering, read more about it at www.thenet2k.com.

- Sully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭K1

Garfield If ur still about , I'm on Santry B exchange. I signed up last week sent DD form . Ihave 2 weeks left on eircom free trial. Any idea if it's going to be weeks or months to get connected?? If its going to be months maybe I should go for ESAT free trial so as not to be without, . Cant get a straight answer from eircom do they charge to my bill automatically after 2 months if I dont cancel after exactly 2 months???

K1 wrote:
    Garfield If ur still about , I'm on Santry B exchange. I signed up last week sent DD form . Ihave 2 weeks left on eircom free trial. Any idea if it's going to be weeks or months to get connected?? If its going to be months maybe I should go for ESAT free trial so as not to be without, . Cant get a straight answer from eircom do they charge to my bill automatically after 2 months if I dont cancel after exactly 2 months???

We won't be there in the next two weeks anyway. We're still on schedule for March/ April time line. So it's kinda up to you what you want to do.

Garfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

What about rathmines?
    Are ye in the exchange there yet? Im on castlewood avenue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

Garfield, any progress on resolving the issue of connecting Customers with existing Broadband service?

I cannot accept 4-8 weeks of downtime just to sign up to your service.

As I understand it, I can order the Smart service (whitehall) but Eircom will reject the unbundling order as I have Bitstream (UTV) service.

So neither you nor I are any better off (and you will probably have wasted time and effort).

iano wrote:
    Garfield, any progress on resolving the issue of connecting Customers with existing Broadband service?

I cannot accept 4-8 weeks of downtime just to sign up to your service.

As I understand it, I can order the Smart service (whitehall) but Eircom will reject the unbundling order as I have Bitstream (UTV) service.

So neither you nor I are any better off (and you will probably have wasted time and effort).
    Iano,
    You're right about the rejection of an LLU order if bitstream is in place. We're talking with eircom as to how this could be managed. I'll keep you informed. I think the 4-8 week timeline you suggest is overly pessimistic, even for the current process.

Garfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Hi Garfield,
    I live in Carrigtwohill Cork - My house is 500m from Smart Telecoms tele sales office . Do Smart have any plans to enable the exchange CHTA for the use of their telesales office and also for the residents of the town who have been left in the lurch by the ineptitude of eircom and their inability to recognise the fact that there are more than 2500 people living in the town and still not on a broadband enabled exchange.

Thanks,

Garfield; Can you address my issues I mentioned above?

- Sully

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

I've been out of the office all week and was away at the weekend (Paris, 8MB for €29.99, wow).
    You can even do better than that in France, 8MB for €14.90 from NEUFTelecom ...no download limits, no setup charges and no 12mth contract. :mad:

and for another €6 per month, you can have 50 tv channels, are Smart thinking of doing this at some stage?

Advertisement