Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart employee happy to answer questions on bb rollout

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Questions:

I have some questions I hope you can answer, im sorry if they where answered before, I read the whole topic but I could of missed it!

1) I see Waterford is in Phase 2, but does that include County Waterford? Im using UTV (and there really p*ssing me off at the moment) Broadband and Phone Service in Tramore Co. Waterford - your site said it wasnt available but can you let me know of any estimated date it will be around in Tramore?

Doesn't include Tramore at present. The older thread I started details our rollout plan and more importantly the rollout philosophy. Most importanly, our rollout is based on LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) which requires our own equipment to be installed in exchanges.

2) I see people wish higher upload speeds, wouldnt mind them myself either as it would be ideal for me but it doesnt matter! Any ideas yet if these are going to be offered yet?

There will be a higher upload speed and static IP address product. How much are you willing to pay ;-) Any feedback on price point would be appreciated.

3) Also notice people want Static IPs - any ideas yet if this is going to be offered?

See above.

4) What Modem is "shipped" out with this product?

A four port ethernet and USB ADSL2+ router.

5) Do I have to use your telephone service aswell as the broadband? Or can I just be with Smart for broadband only and UTV or someone else for the Telephone service?

All or nothing Sully04. Voice and broadband.

6) People who use P2P on Smart - What happens to them?

Nothing. See other post on download caps for insight on this.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Lots of work to do.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Garfiled;

You forgot the most important question :P:

Also, a friend of mine is living in Fenor, Tramore Co.waterford (just outside Tramore, very very small population compared to Tramore itself - a little village by itself and its 20-30mins from Tramore) claims Smart Telecom called her up and said they would install broadband for them straight away if they went with them.

I thought Waterford wasnt even due connection with Smart untill May/June? And Fenor of all places has been offered broadband? Why is this? Is this the false party offering, read more about it at www.thenet2k.com.

Also, ANY rough estimate for Tramore?! And have you decided what is "excessive" in downloading?

Also, someone should make up a site with FAQ's for Smart Broadband, make it easier for yourself and everyone else!

- Sully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Sully, go read the other thread. The answers to all those questions are in there. And dont tell me you can't be arsed reading through it - do or dont read it, but don't expect the same answer to be repeated again and again to people too lazy to spend 5 minutes going over what's already been said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Sully04 wrote:
    Garfiled;

You forgot the most important question :P:

Also, a friend of mine is living in Fenor, Tramore Co.waterford (just outside Tramore, very very small population compared to Tramore itself - a little village by itself and its 20-30mins from Tramore) claims Smart Telecom called her up and said they would install broadband for them straight away if they went with them.
    I thought Waterford wasnt even due connection with Smart untill May/June? And Fenor of all places has been offered broadband? Why is this? Is this the false party offering, read more about it at www.thenet2k.com.
    They (the sales agent) were wrong. That was a miscommunication. We've dealt with that.
    Sully04 wrote:
    Also, ANY rough estimate for Tramore?! And have you decided what is "excessive" in downloading?

Also, someone should make up a site with FAQ's for Smart Broadband, make it easier for yourself and everyone else!

- Sully

No estimate at all for Tramore. Agreed on the FAQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Re: Price point for higher upload product.
    I would be prepared to pay up to €50 per month for a 512 or 1024 upload speed, with 2mb down.
    I (personally) don't require a static IP but it would be nice ;), especially if it was included in the above price!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thanks Garfield for the questions. If someone wants to give me a hand - iv no problem setting up an FAQ on my server.

- Sully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I'd gladly pay 1300+ excl VAT for 2Mb down and 1Mb up with fixed ips (subject to ripe), and no cap, but I'd wait until there was more clarification on the caps issue (as to how much would throw you into youre-costing-smart-more bucket).

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

WizZard wrote:
    I would be prepared to pay up to €50 per month for a 512 or 1024 upload speed, with 2mb down.

Fat chance of that Wizzard, it's going to be 128k or 256k upstream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Garfield,

Any idea if the Whitehall exchange is on schedule. Its code is WHID. Its supposed to be available march/april. Can you give better estimate than this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

Any info on the Walkinstown exchange either? Are you planning to get people to test this exchange like you were with another exchange (dolphins barn exchange, I believe)? biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Re: Price point for higher upload

If the free line rental is included, then for a 256K upload i would say €40 (since i think i really needs to be this at least to get the performance from the 2 mbit) and yes perhaps €50 or €55 (including the line rental :-> ) for a 512K upload, cause personally, i think a largely uncapped 2MBit/512K ADSL for a total of €50 per month would entice a lot of people, and especially media/game gurus, cause if people use voice chat software etc, these can require quite a lot of bandwidth , and similiarly for any form of VNC/remote use, 128K up just doesnt cut it, and diminishes the advantage of the 2MBit down.

More and more applications require data transfer in both directions, unlike basic web browsing.

I do think however that the €35 package is a definite plus over any competition available to me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

How long until esatbt just buy smart :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭40coats

WizZard wrote:
    I (personally) don't require a static IP but it would be nice ;), especially if it was included in the above price!

I'd agree with this, no interest in a static ip either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Can I just say I'm with WizZard, JNive and others who would be willing to pay up to 50 EURO per month for a better upload ratio. 256kbps would be a minimum - 512kbps or better would be great :)

- Neil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I'd be definately interested in a 2mb down, 512k up and a static IP for €50 a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

256k up - €40

512k up - €50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Has anyone read this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thats a yawn, it was discussed in the 'Supreme Being' thread (below at the mo) here first and neither adds nor takes away from anything already discussed in that thread .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

GarfieldConnoll.

I have signed up to the trigger program since Smart Telecom isnt available at my exchange.

I have a few questions : -

1) I live 6.5km from the exchange in question. With such a distance invovled to the exchange, Will I be able to avail of the 2MB BB if the exchange is Smart broadband enabled ?

MANY THANKS

jolly

ref 206084

But why give the impression that it's a 2MB service? Won't it confuse customers? Especially with no reference to the full picture anywhere, including the terms and conditions part of its website?

“We don't think so,” said Connolly.

I think it is confusing. The jist I was getting was that you where guarnteed 2MB.

Nothing wow then about Smart.

Also, I found out more then I had posted here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2447761&postcount=53 about my friend being offer broadband by Smart "within 10 days!" then the fact is - she wasnt going to get it at all. Garfield said that it was a "miscommunication" and the sales team "got it wrong".

Funny, they never told my friend that they would take over all her phone calls aswell. The deal was they where giving her broadband within 10 days, but the reality was that she was never going to get the broadband - Smart where going to take over her calls instead without informing her.

After hearing this, it makes me wonder about Smart. I dont think ill be switching so soon to them. Ill see how it goes.

- Sully

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sully04 wrote:
    I think it is confusing. The jist I was getting was that you where guarnteed 2MB.

Nothing wow then about Smart.

- Sully

Any ISP ad I have seen qualifies the speed offered by saying ''up to xxxx'' even the foreign ones. Smart are going to find themselves in trouble with the ASA one of these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

I am happy to test the Ballinteer Dundrum Roll out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

quick question if anybody could answer

i sent in my direct debit mandate today to smart, am i right in thinking that i can just pay eircom until i get the all clear 'you are ready today' from smart AND THEN I give eircom my notice[1 month] i am not ready to be without broadband :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 thebigdude

dub45 wrote:
    Any ISP ad I have seen qualifies the speed offered by saying ''up to xxxx'' even the foreign ones. Smart are going to find themselves in trouble with the ASA one of these days.

Eircom + resellers mention 512k, but nothing of a guarantee on their ads or anywhere else. I can GUARANTEE no one is getting 512k though, more like 440k max. IBB on the other hand can reach the advertised speeds (as close as possible without overpassing it), but again, no guarantees.

Don't nag about someting that didn't even launch yet. Wait till you see it and test it. If it doesn't live up to the advertising (or 85% of what is advertised anyway), then you can complain.

quick question if anybody could answer

i sent in my direct debit mandate today to smart, am i right in thinking that i can just pay eircom until i get the all clear 'you are ready today' from smart AND THEN I give eircom my notice[1 month] i am not ready to be without broadband :)

That is the $64,000 dollar question as they used to say in the old days :)

Garfield said earlier that this issue is being discussed at various levels. That's about as clear as it gets at the moment.

In an ideal world yes but I really doubt if Eircom or the other isps are going to make it easy for their customers to 'walk'.

thebigdude wrote:
    Eircom + resellers mention 512k, but nothing of a guarantee on their ads or anywhere else. I can GUARANTEE no one is getting 512k though, more like 440k max. IBB on the other hand can reach the advertised speeds (as close as possible without overpassing it), but again, no guarantees.

Don't nag about someting that didn't even launch yet. Wait till you see it and test it. If it doesn't live up to the advertising (or 85% of what is advertised anyway), then you can complain.

Its not a question of nagging or complaining, as you rightly point out theres no product out there as yet to complain about. And nobody expects the full 2mb.

The simple fact is that from their own point of view Smart are leaving themselves open by not being more careful with the way they are advertising the product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Google the for information on the distance/speed workings.

BTW whats with your inline sig "ref 206084"?

dub45 wrote:
    Its not a question of nagging or complaining, as you rightly point out theres no product out there as yet to complain about. And nobody expects the full 2mb.

The simple fact is that from their own point of view Smart are leaving themselves open by not being more careful with the way they are advertising the product.

And just to add on that.. Smart are not very wise by offering broadband to people who they know will never get it, and also taking control over there line without the persons consent.

- Sully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

will the adsl modems you dish out be wireless enabled like eircoms ones?

i hope so

• Advertisement

tck wrote:
    will the adsl modems you dish out be wireless enabled like eircoms ones?

i hope so

From Smart's FAQ
    What equipment do I need?

All you need is a computer that meets the minimum requirements; you need a suitable phone line and we will supply you with a broadband modem (router) and two microfilters (phone adapters). Both items are free of charge and can be self installed using our manual. We also provide a wireless modem for €140.00.

The new version of the Linksys Wag54g is available cheaper.

Advertisement