Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart employee happy to answer questions on bb rollout

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭K1

Dont hold your breath, I knew they were too good to be true, Garfield is all talk< he isn't really answering anything , just fudging around the questions!! Like U say March will come & go & by the look of it so will April. Surly they knew where they stood re LLU before they started thier high profile advertising campaign. They have taken in all thier orders & they are counting these up to see which exchanges have the most connections to connect first. Wait & see the original list of exchanges for roll out will change very quickly!! I spoke to them yesterday re order confirmation & my exchange(Santry B) was to be on time & would be one of the first live, Today I called back (still chasing order conf.) was told APRIL AT LEAST . i NO LONGER accept the blame is all telecoms, surly this was all trashed out before launch??? . I think the only thing that will get this moving is for the COMPLAINTS TO START & THE ORDERS TO STOP!... TO Garfield ,you have done nothing on these boards but pimp for business, you have not answered questions any different to the worn out learnt off by heart drivel,that comes from your sales dept.. I for one will be contacting Comreg & the Advertising Standards next week if more definite info is not forthcoming!!!!!

READ THE START OF YOUR ANSWER!!!!!!
    "GARFIELD HAS ALREADY ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION, HE DOESNT KNOW!!!!!!!!!"

saying you dont know is NOT answering the question, if it was we would all have straight As in all our exams etc..

Look back over the messages what has Garfield really anwered########?????????
    You would get a better reply from Eircoms Talking Machine......
    Garfield should start making a few commitments or go away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

K1, you're just being disruptive now. Garfield has answered a large number of questions over the three or four smart telecom threads. If you're so annoyed then please go and complain to comreg and the ASAI so that they can tell you that your complaints are baseless themselves, but stop clogging up threads on this board with mindless rants.

If you don't, you'll just be banned. Your choice.

Thats what I am Doing, I have already being onto Consumer Affairs and they agree there are questions Smart are not answering. Banned for what just because you don't agree, go ahead, but last time I checked will still lived in a democracy where FREE SPEECH is still allowed, maybe I should move to IRAQ!!!!!

We'd never be so lucky.

• Advertisement

Moriarty wrote:
    We'd never be so lucky.
    NOT BANNED YET THEN?????

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Twaddle Dub45.

LLU has been mooted since the late 1990s and allegedly live for 3 years. During that time we have seen the finest of underhand behaviour from Eircom.

When Eircom were told to set a realistic price last year (still crap but better than before) they kept out of the High Court

When they were told to produce a process document guaranteeing times and responses for technical requests by LLU operators this was too much altogether and off they went to the High Court last month. Smart, during their planning and rollout phase , had a reasonable expectation that all of these issues would be sorted out by Comreg and Eircom by now. Unfortunately they bet on Comregs competence which was their mistake IMO.

Eircom have a long history of obstruction andand wilful behaviour designed to frustrate competition in Ireland . Why don't you direct your questions at Comreg and see what they say.

BUT STOP BLAMING SMART FOR THAT !

BUT if Garfield does not come back with answers to my questions PDQ on the Telephony product I will arrrive at the conclusion that Smart have something nasty to hide from their potential LLU customers on the Telephony side.

Yo! Garfield !!!!!!!

I am not blaming Smart or indeed Eircom for anything. I am simply pointing out the logistics of what will be invovled in someone switching. This has nothing got to with LLU, high courts, obstructionist behavour, the price of oil, the strength of the dollar etc etc.

Most people who want to switch will have a rolling months contract that will require cancellation and the coordination round that will cause the problems - thats the reality of the situation.

dub45 wrote:
    I am not blaming Smart or indeed Eircom for anything. I am simply pointing out the logistics of what will be invovled in someone switching. This has nothing got to with LLU, high courts, obstructionist behavour, the price of oil, the strength of the dollar etc etc.

Most people who want to switch will have a rolling months contract that will require cancellation and the coordination round that will cause the problems - thats the reality of the situation.
    I AGREE read this http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=9588234

dub45 wrote:

Don,t let Moriarty see you slagging Garfield he gets annoyed anyone upsetting his "friend" By the way has anyone seen or heard from Garfield.. I guess he doesn't have the answers,, just like i said Moriarty......

K1 wrote:
    Don,t let Moriarty see you slagging Garfield he gets annoyed anyone upsetting his "friend" By the way has anyone seen or heard from Garfield.. I guess he doesn't have the answers,, just like i said Moriarty......

Its not about slagging Garfield at all. The guy is brave enough to come on here and take questions so he deserves credit for that.

The questions are just about trying to clarify things or highlight stuff that needs attention thats all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

K1

a) Smart have broken no rule of advertising that I can see (basically because they're not advertising very much). By all means, grace ASAI with your thoughts if you can identify any wrong doing.
    b) They have not broken any regulation that ComReg monitors, to the best of my knowledge
    c) Garfield seems to have answered most of what he can. He doesn't give specific dates on expectations of rollout/delivery (he can't.. no telco could), nor does he answer how much is overboard (because they haven't decided yet, it's a suck it and see approach), nor does he answer specifics about terminating existing ISP contracts, because it has nothing whatosever to do with Smart.
    d) You are in no position to comment on whether or not they will make their March/April deadline (presumably there are only a few employees of Smart who can)
    e) Most importantly, grow up and add something constructive to this interesting thread, or bow out.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

What I'd be interested in finding out is if Smart are going to facilitate people if their line fails the test.
    Are they gonna try to get Eircom to investigate what the problem is?

Getting told you can't get broadband when you're less than a 1km from the exchange is frustrating enough, but not getting an exact reason or possible sulution is even more galling.

Incidently, I had an Eircom rep in my house last week and he said he attended a meeting recently discussing the high line failure rates.
    According to him, any customer that orders BB after April whose line fails, Eircom will endeavor to solve the problem.
    Can't see it myself, got the feeling he was telling me what I wanted to hear, but I'll wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

i was reading in the Irish times today that there is big demand for SMarts new broadband service. 16,000 people have already signed up for the new broadband service offerded by SMART but the articles states that IT MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR UP TO FIVE MONTHS

So far 4 exchanges have been unbundled. Another 62 would be unbundled by July or August.

Eircom are currently transferring 5,000 customers a week using a manual system but hopes that a automatic system will come onstream soon to help customers transfer.

Smart has 80,000 telephone customers.

cgarvey wrote:
    K1

a) Smart have broken no rule of advertising that I can see (basically because they're not advertising very much). By all means, grace ASAI with your thoughts if you can identify any wrong doing.
    b) They have not broken any regulation that ComReg monitors, to the best of my knowledge
    c) Garfield seems to have answered most of what he can. He doesn't give specific dates on expectations of rollout/delivery (he can't.. no telco could), nor does he answer how much is overboard (because they haven't decided yet, it's a suck it and see approach), nor does he answer specifics about terminating existing ISP contracts, because it has nothing whatosever to do with Smart.
    d) You are in no position to comment on whether or not they will make their March/April deadline (presumably there are only a few employees of Smart who can)
    e) Most importantly, grow up and add something constructive to this interesting thread, or bow out.

.cg
    This is the part thats annoying cgarvey, First Smart picked a launch date & off they went, If things wern't going as planned why was the launch not defered?
    Second I understand that all cant go to plan bringing exchanges on line, honestly if it is going to take 6 or evn 9 months I really dont care, I just want to know. If smart told me tomorrow my exchange wont be live till September thats fine I know I can sign the contract with eircom keep BB for now & cancel when Smart are ready & decide to pay the couple of months cancellation fee if need be!
    A I ask is a little honesty , I do believe they know more than they say

Paul007 wrote:
    What I'd be interested in finding out is if Smart are going to facilitate people if their line fails the test.
    Are they gonna try to get Eircom to investigate what the problem is?

Getting told you can't get broadband when you're less than a 1km from the exchange is frustrating enough, but not getting an exact reason or possible sulution is even more galling.

Incidently, I had an Eircom rep in my house last week and he said he attended a meeting recently discussing the high line failure rates.
    According to him, any customer that orders BB after April whose line fails, Eircom will endeavor to solve the problem.
    Can't see it myself, got the feeling he was telling me what I wanted to hear, but I'll wait and see.
    Eircoms line test is not final like they say, Mine failed initially , they gave no reason, it was a new estate less than a mile from the exchange so I asked for the line to be tested again , It passed no prob,. I often wondered why will Eircom not explain the criteria for a line to pass/fail??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

iano wrote:
    Eircom will REJECT any LLU order for a line that has broadband.

Just curious, do you know this for a fact or are you speculating based on the way the bitstream transfers [don't] work?

Blaster- Garfield confirmed it in the (large) first thread. The thing that was meant to resolve all these problems is, at the moment, tied up in the high court in a fight between ComReg and eircom.

K1- smart have released esimated roll out dates for every exchange they said they plan to definetly be in. That list is located, amongst other places, here. That list is as accurate as they are willing to give out because there are issues out of their control that could delay launching an exchange by a few weeks and people such as yourself would be the first in here screaming blue bloody murder that they didn't meet their guideline dates.

No one is forcing you to buy anything from smart telecom. If you don't like them for whatever reason, don't get anything from them. Easy as. You're also on your final warning in relation to your attitude. Either change it, you'll get a permenant ban without any further warning.

K1 wrote:
    Eircoms line test is not final like they say, Mine failed initially , they gave no reason, it was a new estate less than a mile from the exchange so I asked for the line to be tested again , It passed no prob,. I often wondered why will Eircom not explain the criteria for a line to pass/fail??

Similar story here. Initially passed in May last year, ordered BB, was waiting over 3 months and then my line failed.

I checked the line recently and it passed again but subsequently failed a few days later. Bloody test results change like the weather.

It's due to be tested again in a few days so it'll be interesting to see the outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

Blaster99 wrote:
    Just curious, do you know this for a fact or are you speculating based on the way the bitstream transfers [don't] work?
    Moriarty wrote:
    Blaster- Garfield confirmed it in the (large) first thread. The thing that was meant to resolve all these problems is, at the moment, tied up in the high court in a fight between ComReg and eircom.

My friend, I don't speculate!
    Section 3.5.2.3 of Process Manual for the eircom services:Unbundled Local Metallic Path states "Where an LLU order is received from an Access Seeker for the provision of an LLU service on a line, which already has a Bitstream Service in place or pending, the LLU order will be rejected pending the removal of the Bitstream Service.
    Once the competing service has been removed, the Access Seeker can submit a new order requesting service to be provided
    ."

Moriarty , I've already said it's not about the time it takes its about them being realistic, on the PR side I think smart would have been better of estimating longer rather than shorter times, For example if an exchange was down for June/July & then come on line in May then Smart would be heros.. Always do better than you promise & your customers are always happy, This has worked for me in business for many years.

• Advertisement

Moriarty wrote:

Surely the big obstruction is the necessity for most people to give the 4 weeks notice? And thats a contractual issue nothing to do with the high court at all. For instance say Esat introduced a new product and loads of UTV people wanted to go over to it there would be broadly the same issue of coordination that faces the Smart rollout.

dub45 wrote:
    Surely the big obstruction is the necessity for most people to give the 4 weeks notice? And thats a contractual issue nothing to do with the high court at all. For instance say Esat introduced a new product and loads of UTV people wanted to go over to it there would be broadly the same issue of coordination that faces the Smart rollout.
    No, there is not the same issue with transfer from one Bitstream service to another. For DSL port transfer (from IOLBB to UTV, Eircom to Netsource etc.), there is a defined process where the customer completes a "DSL Transfer Authorisation Form" which effectively says "I want to move my broadband from supplier xxx to supplier yyy". This gives Eircom all they need to transfer to supplier yyy. This is very similar to switching voice services between two CPS service providers.
    This is called the Bitstream Port Transfer process. The details are defined in a document called the Bitstream Industry Process Manual.

So, for transfer between DSL services based on Eircom's Bitstream, there will be little or no downtime.

There is no such process for switching a line with Bitstream service (existing DSL) to LLU provider like Smart. Instead, the order is rejected until the Bitstream service has been cancelled by the Losing service provider, who does not benefit from co-operating. So there is noting the Customer can do to authorise the switch, they are dependant on their existing provider placing a cancellation order with Eircom and Eircom will reject the LLU order from Smart until this is completed.
    In the event of an LLU order being successful, then the Eircom Service Level agreement defines a maximum of 2 working days to acknowledge the order and a further 10 working days to provision it.
    In summary: the lack of a suitable transfer process guarantees significant downtime for the Customer.

iano wrote:
    No, there is not the same issue with transfer from one Bitstream service to another. For DSL port transfer (from IOLBB to UTV, Eircom to Netsource etc.), there is a defined process where the customer completes a "DSL Transfer Authorisation Form" which effectively says "I want to move my broadband from supplier xxx to supplier yyy". This gives Eircom all they need to transfer to supplier yyy. This is very similar to switching voice services between two CPS service providers.
    This is called the Bitstream Port Transfer process. The details are defined in a document called the Bitstream Industry Process Manual.

So, for transfer between DSL services based on Eircom's Bitstream, there will be little or no downtime.

If I recall correctly though from posts on here that process has rarely worked well? And there have been many stories on here of long delays in transfer.

dub45 wrote:
    If I recall correctly though from posts on here that process has rarely worked well? And there have been many stories on here of long delays in transfer.
    If that is the case, then how much worse could it get transferring to an LLU provider like Smart when there is no process and you are relying on goodwill and co-operation?
    I want to see unbindling succeed and welcome Smart's innovative offer. I do believe that they need to get the migration process problems resolved or Customers will loose out.
    To be fair to Garfield, he did acknowledge this, though he had no news of a breakthrough.

iano wrote:

There is no such process for switching a line with Bitstream service (existing DSL) to LLU provider like Smart. Instead, the order is rejected until the Bitstream service has been cancelled by the Losing service provider, who does not benefit from co-operating. So there is noting the Customer can do to authorise the switch, they are dependant on their existing provider placing a cancellation order with Eircom and Eircom will reject the LLU order from Smart until this is completed.
    In the event of an LLU order being successful, then the Eircom Service Level agreement defines a maximum of 2 working days to acknowledge the order and a further 10 working days to provision it.
    In summary: the lack of a suitable transfer process guarantees significant downtime for the Customer.
    Correct me if im wrong but did Smart not say, at some point, the customer does not have to contact eircom they would look ater all that!

K1 wrote:
    Correct me if im wrong but did Smart not say, at some point, the customer does not have to contact eircom they would look ater all that!

No he never said that as far as I can recall and if he did it was in the very early stages of the thread because he has acknowledged the problem on several occassions. And remember its not just about contacting eircom its about contacting your own isp whoever that happens to be too.

G did mention about discussions taking place on the transfer issue.

I dont know what to make of this in the article in yesterday's IT.
    People who signed up for the offer would be connected as soon as their local exchange was opened to Smart Telecom and Eircom transferred their line.

Mr Fanning said that Eircom had agreed to transfer up to 5,000 customers per month using the company's manual processes but said that he hoped an automated transfer process would be introduced shortly to help customers transfer.

Don't mean to stray off topic but following on from my post yesterday - tested my line today and it passed LOL
    Hopefully Smart get to the Santry exchange before Eircom run their next batch of tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

This thread is turning into something akin to Hamlet without the prince :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 cman

i have 2 questions my first is: I sent in my direct debit form a few days ago and still havn't gotten an e-mail reply about my details. When do i get the e-mail.
    My second is: What date is smart bb out in coolock exchange

• Advertisement

collieok wrote:
    If I were you I would print off the page telling you your line is suitable for BB, if it fails again send it to Eircom asking for an explanation, on another point I have eircom BB in our office but if I run aline test it will fail, back to the question what is the criteria for a line to pass??

If you have anything connected to your line such as a cordless phone it can have a negative impact on the test. Most posters on here advise anyone applying for bb to take all extras off the line until confirmation comes through. I think it is common enough for a line with bb to fail subsequent tests:)

A friend of mine lives beside a guy working in Eircom who works on the technical side (but not on bb) and he claims that lately Eircom are taking a more relaxed approach to the test.

Advertisement