Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will phones barred in the UK work here?

Options
  • 25-02-2005 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Will they??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

theothernt wrote:

don't believe everything you read ;)

they do work !

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Well, they shouldn't ;)

Vodafone, O2 and Meteor should all use the international blacklists by now.

- Neil

theothernt wrote:
    Hi,

Well, they shouldn't ;)

Vodafone, O2 and Meteor should all use the international blacklists by now.

- Neil

Yeah your dead right, they should use the international blacklists. I know they work here cause I bought 3/4 off eBay that worked here no probs. But ppl are still able to change IMEI numbers so there is always away around it. :rolleyes:

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Yes, they work. 100%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

They don't work Culabula if they are barred. They may work if the IMEI has been changed. However, as I understand changed IMEI's stand out like a sore thumb on any network so there will be a day when the operators stamp down.

Random...Have you knowingly bought stolen goods from eBay? What steps are you taking to report the sellers?

They do work. Mine is barred. It works. IMEI has not been changed.

BrianD wrote:
    They don't work Culabula if they are barred. They may work if the IMEI has been changed. However, as I understand changed IMEI's stand out like a sore thumb on any network so there will be a day when the operators stamp down.

They do work !
    BrianD wrote:

Random...Have you knowingly bought stolen goods from eBay? What steps are you taking to report the sellers?

Look here or even here !

So you are happy to buy stolen phones?

BrianD wrote:
    So you are happy to buy stolen phones?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2428614&postcount=9 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Who mentioned stolen phones? My phone, bought and paid for, was barred and replaced because I lost it......months later, I found it under the bed. It wasn't worth doing anything about and in any case it *belongs to me*. So I use it when in Dublin to stick one of my Irish SIMs or free SMS SIMs in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

culabula wrote:
    Who mentioned stolen phones? My phone, bought and paid for, was barred and replaced because I lost it......months later, I found it under the bed. It wasn't worth doing anything about and in any case it *belongs to me*. So I use it when in Dublin to stick one of my Irish SIMs or free SMS SIMs in.

If it was replaced by an insurance company it probably "belongs" to them now.

Random ...I don't need a link. I asked you question! If your phone was replaced by an insurance company it becomes their property officially and not yours to sell or dispose of.

BrianD wrote:
    Random ...I don't need a link. I asked you question! If your phone was replaced by an insurance company it becomes their property officially and not yours to sell or dispose of.

Ok BrianD, here is the answer to your question.

Answer: I have never bought a stolen phone.

And just to remind you of the question on this thread/topic is "Will phones barred in the UK work here?".

Answer: Yes they will work.

You can ask all the questions you wan BrianD, no bother to me.

Yeah your dead right, they should use the international blacklists. I know they work here cause I bought 3/4 off eBay that worked here no probs. But ppl are still able to change IMEI numbers so there is always away around it. :rolleyes:

:)

Random, you posted the above and it suggests that some or all of the phones that you purchased were black listed. If it is black listed then it is either a stolen phone or an insurance "write off". There is a high probabity that you are purchasing a stolen phone and hence my questioning. So spare us the circular links and answer the question when asked.

In your last post you have stated that you have never bought a stolen phone so I accept your word on this.

In any case it is not conclusive that barred phones from the UK will work here/. In the past they have but there is no evidence offered that do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

They still work. I got an 8310 for my girlfriend off ebay that was barred in the UK. The owner had the receipts/boxes/etc, said she dropped under her car seat, reported it stolen, got it barred and then found it a month later. Fair enough I said and I got it for 30 euro. It works perfect, but if you go over the border and it tries to find a UK network, it doesn't work.

We even moved to Germany since then and it works here also... Friends of mine in college used to buy them barred from ebay and then sell them here. Never had an issue of it not working.

And that link posted to the Vodafone atricle is true. The networks in Ireland can bar a phone from their own network but don't talk to each other at all. Even if a phone is barred on Vodafone, it can still be used on the other two networks...

BrianD wrote:
    Random, you posted the above and it suggests that some or all of the phones that you purchased were black listed. If it is black listed then it is either a stolen phone or an insurance "write off". There is a high probabity that you are purchasing a stolen phone and hence my questioning. So spare us the circular links and answer the question when asked.

In your last post you have stated that you have never bought a stolen phone so I accept your word on this.

In any case it is not conclusive that barred phones from the UK will work here/. In the past they have but there is no evidence offered that do now.

Who's us ?

You are the only person asking me these questions, if you so concerned about it why don't you ring the Guards ?

I will gladly give you my home address via pm.
    yeah i've bought a few barried phones off ebay uk and they work here no problem...

when the seller is selling them they discribe them as been their own phone that they done an insurance job on to get a new phone...

works the same here in ireland, if a phone is blocked here it will work in the uk...

So BrianD what to you want to do ?

thesteve wrote:
    Even if a phone is barred on Vodafone, it can still be used on the other two networks...

I don't think so m8, if a phone is barried here in Ireland it won't work on any network in the ROI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭d-j-k

Also, if the phone is barred and you register your details with the operator they could, potentially, should they ever crack down on this stuff start to persue people using stolen phones.

It's quite a serious offence to be in receipt of stolen goods! And of all stolen goods mobile phones are one of the few that carry an electronic signature that's regularly registered with a network!

Advertisement