Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your opinion please... (2)

Options
  • 25-02-2005 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Ok,

I've been playing with the design of my new site a bit that advertises a new software product. I really want to get it right. Some great points by people last time but I felt I needed a good change around so I came up with a new design. I would love to hear criticism, comments, suggestions, etc. from ppl. I'm happy with it! And I'm ready to start banging in the content but before I move on, I'd like to hear ppl's opinions.

1 other thing... I got spurred on by this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=227575 to drop tables completely. I've been threatening to learn CSS layouts for awhile... and finally I've done it! Yipee.... no tables in this design!!! It's loads really quickly... never going back to tables! :) I'm so chuffed with myself! :cool:

Anyway... here's the link! Only 1 page, no links work on the template.

http://www.teammanager.ie/temp/layout1/

Thx in advance,

Dave :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

i like it, can't really criticise, em if there was one thing maybe it'd be that theres a lot of text there to go through, maybe bullit points may be a better layout to quickly scan through

maybe, maybe not, thumbs up here

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

i like it, can't really criticise, em if there was one thing maybe it'd be that theres a lot of text there to go through, maybe bullit points may be a better layout to quickly scan through

maybe, maybe not, thumbs up here
    I just through the content in there to give ppl a feel of finished site. I'll be working on the layout of the content next. Cheeurs though, cause I know that's too much text! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Nice. Looks clean. The footer should go at the bottom though :)

the footer is at the bottom isn't it? or are you talking bout the print/email links, they should be at the bottom

edit:// sorry no those are in the right place, i take it they're related to the product overview section and not the whole page

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

the footer is at the bottom isn't it?
    nope.

• Advertisement

it works in opera and ie, but has that problem in firefox, might want to get that sorted

it works in opera and ie, but has that problem in firefox, might want to get that sorted
    yeah... it's because i set the the height of the content area to 600px or something like that. I did it to push the footer down past the floating sidebar but it should keep going. It's like setting a height of a cell, which is like a minimum value!

Hmmm... just remember a setting in css for min-height that i could use instead of height... have a look now and let me know if it works. I'll go download some of the other browsers and do some cross-browser checks.

Thx. :)

that did the trick

the footer is at the bottom isn't it? or are you talking bout the print/email links, they should be at the bottom

edit:// sorry no those are in the right place, i take it they're related to the product overview section and not the whole page
    what you mean? - i take it they're related to the product overview section and not the whole page

sorry i didnt see the footer error when justhalf pointed it out because i was viewing in opera, so i wasn't sure what he meant, i though perhaps he was refering to the print page/ email links, but he wasn't and those links are fine, and in the right positions etc, my mistake

• Advertisement

Ok, I've done some cross-browser checking and modified a little so it renders basically the same on IE, Firefox and Opera! Happy Days! :)

Any more thoughts and opinions?

Anyone else wanna through in their 2 cents???? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Because I am a good guy, here is your design as rendered on a Mac using Safari and IE :)

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Because I am a good guy, here is your design as rendered on a Mac using Safari and IE :)
    Thx for that mate. Didn't have a chance to test on the Mac yet. I've actually rearranged the CSS a bit because the min-height thing didn't work completely. Would you believe that the settings I hade made in CSS worked fine in Opera and Firefox but it was IE that was causing a layout problem!!!! That was first that I had seen that! :) Normally it would all work fine in IE and look different in other browsers! Anyway, I rebuilt the CSS and put together on a test site and it is rendering pretty good and very similiar on IE, Opera and Firefox so I'm happy with the CSS.

Looks pretty good on the 2 macs I think. I've already made fixes for the icons beside the top nav and print/email links. So on the live version, it should all look good.

Any opinions/feedback on the actual design/layout would be great as it is this part I am keen on finalising ASAP. Thx.

Now, back to writing the copy! I hate this bit..... :)

Dave

Oh, here's a link to the updated template with the improved CSS. I hope it renders the same on the MAC as is it has on the Windows browsers. Ph3n0m - do you wanna be really really nice and post up 2 more screenshots?? :)

http://www.teammanager.ie/temp/layout2.asp

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Looks well , very easy on the eye and not cluttered.
    I am looking at it through MYIE2 and it looks spot on, copyright info on both is very hard to read is the only thing!

yop wrote:
    Looks well , very easy on the eye and not cluttered.
    I am looking at it through MYIE2 and it looks spot on, copyright info on both is very hard to read is the only thing!
    Cheeurs mate! :) I'm a maxthon user myself so I made sure it looks good on it! I faded the colour of the copyright info so that it is really light... maybe it's too light... i'll look at darkening a little. :cool:

Cheers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

DJB wrote:
    Oh, here's a link to the updated template with the improved CSS. I hope it renders the same on the MAC as is it has on the Windows browsers. Ph3n0m - do you wanna be really really nice and post up 2 more screenshots?? :)

there ya go

Advertisement