Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish Advanced Driving Test ?

Options
  • 25-02-2005 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

I saw a piece on RTE's 'Nationwide' tonight about the Irish Advanced Motorists (IAM) organisation.
    One of the programme presenters took a few lessons, and subsequently passed the test (a few weeks later).

Has anybody here taken the test (or lessons) ?

Is there any advantage - insurance wise - to taking such a test ?

Their site is - www.irishadvancedmotorists.ie

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Isn't the Hibernian Ignition scheme based on passing this test?
    http://hibernian.netsource.ie/insurance/ignition.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Thread on the MIJAG forum about it here

I was suppose to sign up for this before christmas but due to college and work i'm having to leave it until the summer now, i'd be interested to hear from anyone who has done this?

Missed nationwide the other nite also :(

It seems to be a very good thing to have though if your like me, fairly young a taste for high performance cars.

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

Silvera wrote:
    I saw a piece on RTE's 'Nationwide' tonight about the Irish Advanced Motorists (IAM) organisation.
    One of the programme presenters took a few lessons, and subsequently passed the test (a few weeks later).

Has anybody here taken the test (or lessons) ?

Is there any advantage - insurance wise - to taking such a test ?

Their site is - www.irishadvancedmotorists.ie

With most insurance companies you get 30% off if you hold an advanced licence

Cucullan wrote:
    With most insurance companies you get 30% off if you hold an advanced licence
    see my thread Insurance Benefits of Being an Advanced Driver

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Thanks for the info guys.

Well, I suppose kbannon's thread answers my question - i.e. there is currently no benefit - insurance wise - for me to take the IAM test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Why is Hiberian insisting that all their new policyholders take the ignition test regardless of age?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Hi berian offer 30% off after you take the advanced course... pretty good!

Bond-007 wrote:
    Why is Hiberian insisting that all their new policyholders take the ignition test regardless of age?
    Where did you hear that?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I did the test about 2/3 years ago.And yes Hibernian do offer a discount (i think its about the 30% mark)They also send you a newsletter 4 times a year and you can get a discount on things like joining the AA/RAC

kbannon wrote:
    Where did you hear that?
    I am 30 and driving 10 years. Everytime I have asked for a quote they insist on the ignition course. I of course tell them that 1. I am too old and 2. I am driving too long. Nothing will budge them. Hiberian in Thurles BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I have had the same experience. 14 or 15 years driving and they want me to do the ignition test.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I missed Nationwide last night too........and every night. How bored would you have to be?

But anyway....

I did this in Feb 2004 and would recommend it to anyone. Hibernian give you a 30% discount on top of your no claims discount. Cost me €85 to do the test and saved me over €780 on my first years premium. At the moment Hibernian are the only ones to offer a discount in Ireland but it's also recognised in the UK so you could get a discount off most companies if you were living there.

If you have penalty points on your license you're not allowed join.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Clove

Hi there - this is my first message on the Board. I would like to say that we invited IAM to do a presentation to our Company with a view to making driving safer for our drivers. We were unanimously impressed. It is great that u get a reduction, but even greater the awareness u develop - i think that the more people take it, it will certainly make a vast difference to road safety.

Cost me €85 to do the test

If you have penalty points on your license you're not allowed join.

I had a look at the site and you can do the test alone for 85euro but that doesn't include any prepartion (structured).

Is that how you did it? no lessons or preparation of any kind?

MrPudding wrote:
    I have had the same experience. 14 or 15 years driving and they want me to do the ignition test.

MrP
    What are they playing at? I take it you are well over 30 Mr. P?

It was far easier to take a quote €20 more than Hibs than to take their course which they said was no gaurantee of a quote anyways.

I thinks they don't want drivers over 30 at all.

Bond-007 wrote:
    What are they playing at? I take it you are well over 30 Mr. P?

It was far easier to take a quote €20 more than Hibs than to take their course which they said was no gaurantee of a quote anyways.

I thinks they don't want drivers over 30 at all.
    32. Went elsewhere and got insured no problem. Paid a bit more but I needed the insurance immediately so could not wait for the course.

I am seriously considering doing the advanced course for myself, simply to improve my driving skills.

MrP

MrPudding wrote:

I am seriously considering doing the advanced course for myself, simply to improve my driving skills.

MrP

Ditto.

Also with the possibility of me getting my own standalone insurance coming up i would like an extra 30% off the 1000eur test quotes i'm getting right now.

I see the only contact details are for kilkenny but someone on one of the previous linked threads mentioned an office in Dublin.
    14 Dorset st Lr Dublin 1

Can you do the tuition in dublin? Can you do the test in dublin.

These are probably questions i should be asking them but they don't have an email address listed on you website.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I done the test in Dublin,and it was done by a Garda.

Dub13 wrote:
    I done the test in Dublin,and it was done by a Garda.

Cool, i'll give them a ring and post up what they say about it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Bond-007 wrote:
    I am 30 and driving 10 years. Everytime I have asked for a quote they insist on the ignition course. I of course tell them that 1. I am too old and 2. I am driving too long. Nothing will budge them. Hiberian in Thurles BTW.
    Are you sure? When I got a quote from them they told me I didn't need the ignition course as I had a three year NCB. But then I called quoteline who insured me with Hibernian for the price I was quoted by Hibernain having got the max discount with the ignition course and I also had 4 points which didn't bump it up either.

• Advertisement

Prehaps its just the goons in Thurles that enforce this policy.

They wanted my father in law do some course before they would add him to a van insurance. He is 54 and driving 30+ years with full ncb. He got cheaper insurance from eagle star.

Hiberian seem only interested in young drivers 17-29.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I look around for quotes every year when my insurance is up and I've always found Hibernian to be 50 to 80% more expensive than my renewal from my current insurer (Allianz). So even with 30% off they'd still be far more expensive. I found it quite funny last year that Hibernian direct gave me a quote of €1600 whereas One direct (selling Hibernian) was over €1200 and insure.ie gave me a Hibernian quote of just under €1100. All of those quotes were subject to passing the ignition course aswell so they included the 30% discount. Also, is it a flat 30% discount or up to 30% off depending on how well you do? My Allianz renewal was €850 so I stuck with them.

From what I've heard from other people, if you tell the insurer that you have a better quote they will sometimes match or better that. Other times they'll just say fair enough, you should take that then as they don't seem to need or want your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Even though I've had a no-claims bonus forever (in two different countries) my insurance is through the roof. No wife to name on the policy, living in Dublin and a LHD car are the main causes.

Dying to find an angle, I asked my broker whether there were any concessions for certified advanced drivers. He said "no", that nothing will budge a full NCB, and that the insurance companies are only interested in advanced courses for unproven (usually young) drivers. In one way, I can see their point. They already know that I can stay out of trouble, which is pretty much all they care about.

Dermot

Just got off the phone to IAm and was talking to a very tight lipped lady...tended to give Yes/No answers to everything.

They're sending info out in the post.

Peace wrote:
    Just got off the phone to IAm and was talking to a very tight lipped lady...tended to give Yes/No answers to everything.

They're sending info out in the post.
    Have you got it yet? The Uk site has much more info BTW.

MrP

I just got home and theres nothing in the post....

I'll ring them and see whats going on.

Well, i dunno if anything was sent but its being resent... ffs... just wait longer.

Whats the UK address? Its probably all up there anyway!

There is a link to the UK site on the Irish site. It gives a lot more information of the required skills and the test and stuff.

I requested info by there email contact form. Going on your experience I don't hold out much hope of getting it.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Peace wrote:
    I had a look at the site and you can do the test alone for 85euro but that doesn't include any prepartion (structured).

Is that how you did it? no lessons or preparation of any kind?

I had done the Hibernian Ignitition test and passed with a distiction so I had a fair idea of what they were looking for. I did an amount of driving around to lose my bad habits before the test though.
    jor el wrote:
    All of those quotes were subject to passing the ignition course aswell so they included the 30% discount. Also, is it a flat 30% discount or up to 30% off depending on how well you do?

I don't know where you're getting that info from. As I said in my earlier post it's a 30% discount on top of your no claims discount for passing the advanced driving test and joining the IAM. This last part could be critical because you can't join if you've got penalty points. Unless you don't tell them but fibbing is naughty!
    The discount for the Ignition scheme comes out of your no claims bonus and is dependent both on how well you do and how much no claims bonus you already have.

Rough guide :

0 years no claims + pass = 20%
    1 years no claims + pass = 30%
    2 years no claims + pass = 40%
    3 years no claims + pass = 50%
    4 years no claims + pass = 50%
    5 years no claims + pass = 50%

I'm not sure exactly what percentage they give for a merit or distinction these days.

http://www.irishadvancedmotorists.ie/

Advertisement