Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you going to choose???

• 26-02-2005 12:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,935 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

What are you choosing after the Junior Cert.?? 14 votes

Transition Year
    0% 0 votes
    Traditional Leaving Cert.
    50% 7 votes
    Leaving Cert. Applied (LCA)
    28% 4 votes
    Leaving Cert. Vocational Programme (LCVP)
    0% 0 votes
    Leaving School
    21% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JCB

Transition Year is usually a total waste of time unless the school has an exceptionally good programme. Some of the activities are totally stupid like Whale Watching. If you have any bad habits i.e. being lazy, not getting up early etc.. they will grow and flourish in TYO and it makes very difficult to get back in fifth year unless you are very self disciplined. Work experience is usually a flop too (getting coffee in an office or something).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Definintely transition year. It's supposed to be great in my school. And apparently one year they did Photography and Philosophy as modules, so yes, I'm doing that. And if I can get myself organised, work experience should be good.
    After that, traditional leaving cert. My school does leaving cert applied but eh, it's all weird and I don't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,935 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,935 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'd strongly recommend LCVP to anyone keeping on to the LC. In my school, you lose computers and SPHE calsses for it, nothing essential. The only difference is that you have 1 extra subject with a maximum of 70 points, and it's damn easy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I'm not sure yet, either LCVP or the traditional LC.

It's fine for doin teachin stuff but it's rubbish when it comes to other jobs like, lawyer, accountant, doctor, office work, etc... Not everyone wants to be a teacher surely, or do they?

Rozabeez wrote:
    I'm not sure yet, either LCVP or the traditional LC.
    Traditional leaving is always better job wise. it's the sad truth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭irishboy99_

I'm doing LCVP it's only good if ur going to college the only thing it gives u is more points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I was planning on moving to another school after this year but I found out at the end of last year that even if you move to it after JC transition year is still compulsary (my friend moved), so that's out - TYO would be cool but I'd prefer to get out of school a year earlier :)

I've given alot of thought to my subject choices, but not to this...not even sure if LCVP/LCA are available in my school :S

If I could do computers for extra points (can't you do that with LCVP), that'd certainly be cool :)

Fobia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Well I need to find out how many points I need for my college before i decide i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Jane Doe

Believe me thats all you do for work experiance. I worked for two weeks from nine to six and didn't get paid. I didn't get one word of thanks for all the slaving i did. I did my work experiance in a chemist and spend the whole time cleaning and getting their scones and milk for them every morning. Most people went to primary schools where they sat on their arse all day doing nothing or shops where they normally worked and got paid. Oh and beware of bitchy bosses. God it's so true that male bosses are easier to get on with. Every single time a customer came in the bitching about them would start.

JCB wrote:
    Traditional leaving is always better job wise. it's the sad truth
    Sorry, but no. You're completely wrong there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I don't do LCVP myself, but that's only because I pretty much need more points in everything than the points it offers(I want to do medicine), but according to my friends, and the classwork I've seen of theirs, it's a very handy subject to do, and it's probably a good idea to take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Jane Doe

It sounds great to get 70 points. But you have to get a distinction which is very hard. Also there is a lot of work to do and you have to do a written exam as well. Plus the hassle of an extra subjects is a disadvantage. Eight subjects can be stressful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Wll, my older brothers have done and dusted their leavings: One doing LCVP, the other doing LCA.

LCVP: I presume I'm doing this, I think are school makes you do this anyway if you don't opt for LCA!

LCA: Total waste of time according to my brother. They got no homework for 2 years, and he's come back to do the LCVP because he didn't have enough points to go to college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

8 subjects could be useful, though.
    My sister (in 6th year) was applying to UCAS (which is like the english equivalent of the CAO) and some universities were asking for 8 leaving cert subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Mysteryfish

I am doing transition year, not only because it's compulsory, but also because my school has a really good transition year programme. And also I don't want to go straight from studying for my junior cert to studying for my leaving cert. For my options in fourth year I'm doing french, european studies, photography (I'm really looking forward to that!), judo, drama and home ec. Thats if i get my first choices. (fingers crossed!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

There seems to be some confusion here.
    The traditional LC is the same thing I did a million years ago, 7 subjects with nothing added.

LCVP is the 'traditional' LC with an add-on component of 'Link modules' - 'Preparation for the World of Work' and 'Enterprise Education'. The students who do the LCVP receive their list of results (like the LC students - on identical sheets), but as well as that, they receive a mark for their link modules.

LCA is quite different to the traditional Leaving Cert., and allows students to shine in areas not allowed for in the LC - leadership, working together, working to deadlines etc.. The LCA students sit examinations in all their subject areas, but also have to complete a number of assignments, some of which are done before Christmas of 5th year.

LC, LCVP and LCA are all as good as the people involved in running them in the schools. There are some schools where the LCA course is outstanding, and others where it is not. The LCA offers students a bit more opportunity to concentrate on areas of their own specific interest, while the LC and LCVP are more confined.

Whichever one you choose, it's up to you to make a go of it, but as they all measure different things, one is not 'better' than the other, unless you define 'better' very narrowly indeed.

Thanks newgrange, pretty much the points I was about to make about the LCVP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement