Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa tells Gerrard to....

• 26-02-2005 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

think positive!

The boss has just gone up in my estimation again after reading this -
    Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has rebuked Steven Gerrard for writing off the club's chances of winning the Champions League this season.

Gerrard said earlier this week that he did not think the current squad at Anfield would be capable of going all the way in the tournament and his apparently pessimistic outlook has not been welcomed by Benitez.

"I spoke with Steven and said to him, in future it is better to think we can win the Champions League," the Spaniard disclosed on Friday.

"Why not? We need winners here and everyone thinking only of winning. I always want to win.

Quite right to, until we're out, we're in. Its that kind of talk from Gerrard that has ppl speculating that he does'nt really care what progress Liverpool make cos he's already "gone".

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mike65 wrote:
    think positive!

The boss has just gone up in my estimation again after reading this -

Quite right to, until we're out, we're in. Its that kind of talk from Gerrard that has ppl speculating that he does'nt really care what progress Liverpool make cos he's already "gone".

Mike.

Gerrard was wrong to make the comments he did publically. Benitz did what any manager worth their salt should do and showed him no player is bigger than the team and rebuked him publically.

Gerrard has displayed a very poor attitude for a professional footballer and the fact that he is club captain makes it even worse . Belief and confidence are very important factors in being sucessful in sport, if your team captain is writing you off before games it must have an effect on team moral and therefore on pitch performance. I would be very surprised if Benitz will put up wiith that, Gerrad will definiely be gone in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Gerrard has made the mistake of believing his own hype.

fade2black wrote:
    Gerrard has made the mistake of believing his own hype.

It appears so. I read somwhere that Liverpool's record in the Premiership this season without Steven Gerrard, is better than in those matches where he has played. Apparently, Liverpool win less matches, and score less goals, when he starts.... yet when Alonso play's they average 2 points a game.

I,m not big on stats but that's a particulaly interesting one if true , Maybe the forums resident statto {EireBhoy} could confirm this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i can confirm that im sick of this attitude from gerrard,
    and will not be particularily annoyed if he leaves now and will be happy to see the 20 million or however much come into the club to buy players with the rights attitude and commitment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

His recent form has been v poor, Houghton highlighted when Pool lose the ball he hasn't been tracking back at all. He has good attributes but also there is plenty to improve on his game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm not even a Liverpool supporter and I'm getting fairly sick and tired of Gerrard's attitude. He's turning out to be a right whinger.

Imagine how long he would of lasted there if he wasn't English.

Benitez seems to have a good vision for Liverpool and imo the sooner the better he cashes in on his "star" player the better.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gerrards performance in todays Final was dismal, the space he gave Lampard was suggestive of giving far to much "respect" to his future midfield partner.

On Tuesday without Gerrard Biscan and Hamman played a blinder and the team ethic which had been missing for a while, returned.

Too often his on field behaviour has been lousy, instead of leading he's been sulking, shoulders drooped with a disinterested scoul on his face.

I really do think Gerrard is to 'Pool what Rooney became to Everton, a high-valve distraction. Last summer I got used to the idea that he'd go, so I can see life after him.

I just hope Liverpool get the right price.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

liverpool will get the price. He's gone. He's clearly given up the cause and knows hes on his way out.

30 mil will do very nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

liverpool will get the price. He's gone. He's clearly given up the cause and knows hes on his way out.

30 mil will do very nicely.
    As Bannor pointed out, 30 mil will cause every club we approach to inflate their prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

mike65 wrote:
    I really do think Gerrard is to 'Pool what Rooney became to Everton, a high-valve distraction. Last summer I got used to the idea that he'd go, so I can see life after him.Mike.
    Spot on Mike...I agree totally.
    The Muppet wrote:
    I,m not big on stats but that's a particulaly interesting one if true , Maybe the forums resident statto {EireBhoy} could confirm this.
    Stats show the truth....only have to look at Man U's record since Rio came back.

I was disgusted with his performance yesterday especially with his so called rallying cry up to the match. It was all ME ME ME...I want I WANT my hatrick of medals....lets just hope we get as much money for him as we can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

exactly, gerrard seems to be like hes waiting for the move in the summer.The stats dont lie, liverpool do better without him in the team so lets hope we get the 30 million in the summer and bring in some genuine talent.
    I heard that rafa flew to spain after the game to see aimar play, lets hope that rumour is true as hes a class player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

The club are listening to offers.

Real Madrid have sounded Liverpool out on a summer transfer: €25M plus Michael Owen. Moores wanted to say yes, Benitez said no. Coincidently Owen's agent was in touch with the club recently wondering if Owen wanted to return to Liverpool would he be offered the same contract that was on the table last summer. Moores said yes and Rafa said no it would be a waste of money for a squad player.

Bannor wrote:
    The club are listening to offers.

Real Madrid have sounded Liverpool out on a summer transfer: €25M plus Michael Owen. Moores wanted to say yes, Benitez said no. Coincidently Owen's agent was in touch with the club recently wondering if Owen wanted to return to Liverpool would he be offered the same contract that was on the table last summer. Moores said yes and Rafa said no it would be a waste of money for a squad player.
    At least Rafa is realistic....that much money for a suad player is ridiculous, with the likes of Baros, Cisse, Morientes & Pong. Unless Baros leaves...!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Unless Baros leaves...!!!

I reckon cash in on Baros and Gerard. Baros seems to be turning into a bit of a whinger and hes not consistent enough for my likeing. Nothing really more to say bout Gerard, Sunday summed it up really, on yer bike son.

The only risk now is whether Benitez brings in the right players to start challenging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I'd be astonished if Baros doesnt leave.
    I can understand why Benitez went 4-5-1 against Chelsea (to match Chelsea's system), but I hope he goes back to Morientes and Baros up front for the Newky game.

Not sure how I'd feel about Owen coming back. €25 = about STG£17m. He'd probably work reasonably well with Morientes, but I guess Benitez has his eye on another striker...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

The Muppet wrote:
    Gerrard was wrong to make the comments he did publically. Benitz did what any manager worth their salt should do and showed him no player is bigger than the team and rebuked him publically.

on the other hand, what if its a ploy by LFC to try and take some pressure off?

TBH, ive never really seen gerrard make any comments to the press, so i find it kind of strange that the one thing i do hear about is this.

and after that, there is only a message from the manager to think positive?

maybe a little twisted, but i think it may be a ploy to get the fans a little bit more realistic in their hopes of winning. i mean, if the captain says it, then maybe we should get our hopes up for the season, and get off their backs?

i know robbie keane came out with something similar recently, but nothing else was said, i thought it was a bit weird. but he was just telling the fans to be cautious and that spurs were rebuilding this season.

all in all, i dont think its really that big a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Stekelly wrote:
    The only risk now is whether Benitez brings in the right players to start challenging.

I believe that with the right money Benitez would spend it wisely. This can be seen by his signings since he took over.

Xavi Alonso and Morientes are 2 top class players

Garcia has the potential he just needs to toughen up a bit. It is his first year in England and as Benitez points out it took a while for Pires to settle too. He has also scored some vital goals for us.

Scott Carson is one for the future. Supposedly one of the best up and coming keepers around. Benitez lured him away from a move to Stamford Bridge which is also a plus.

Antonio Nunez, well i don't rate him that much but benitez didn't do too badly to get £8m and a squad player for someone about to leave on a bosman.

All in all I am quite happy with how things have gone under Benitez. He has given a new lease of life to some of the players who went stale under Houllier most notably Riise who has been outstanding of late but he has also brought in some quality players too. Nobody expected him to win the league in his first season but he has taken the first steps in the right direction IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

baros opens his gob
    Baros ponders Reds future

Milan Baros has warned Liverpool he may look to quit the club this summer if he fails to win a regular place in the Reds' starting line-up for the rest of the season.

Rafael Benitez left the Czech Republic striker on the bench for Sunday's Carling Cup Final loss to Chelsea, only sending him on to replace Fernando Morientes after 73 minutes.

And although he has scored 12 times this campaign, he has become more and more frustrated at not commanding an automatic slot on the team sheet.

A poor return of just two goals in his last 14 matches for Liverpool has not helped and Baros said: "I think my time at the club is ticking down.

"I've nothing against Liverpool. I love the fans and am proud of being able to play here.

"All I want is to play regularly. If it's not going to be here, then I hope that I will get a good offer from elsewhere."

After being the leading scorer at Euro 2004, Baros looked set for a prominent role at Anfield following the departure of Michael Owen and a serious injury to Djibril Cisse.

"I stayed at Liverpool in the hope I would be playing more," added the 23-year-old.

"After Owen left for Real and Cisse got injured, it looked like I could begin making regular appearances in the starting line-up.

"But it seems they just don't regard me as a regular starter.

"I need to play regularly, though, and not just waste my time on the bench."

from teamtalk.

also I wasn't sure how to interpret Gerrard saying he hadn't given up lifting a trophy as LFC captain.??

maybe a little twisted, but i think it may be a ploy to get the fans a little bit more realistic in their hopes of winning. i mean, if the captain says it, then maybe we should get our hopes up for the season, and get off their backs?

WWM having twisted thoughts , well I never;)

The old reverse phsycology ploy who knows it's a possibility I suppose but if so it appears to be back firing as the fans seem to be conditioning themselves for his departure.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

He'd probably work reasonably well with Morientes, but I guess Benitez has his eye on another striker...

Maybe he has his eye on a certain striker who can be seen hobbling around Anfield with a cast on his leg on match days. ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Baros denies rift at Carling Cup hotel

02/03/2005: Liverpool striker Milan Baros has denied he threatened to walk out of the team hotel after learning he was only a substitute for the Carling Cup final last weekend and has stressed he is not considering leaving the club.

Reports had suggested the Czech Republic forward was unhappy at being overlooked for selection in favour of Harry Kewell at the Millennium Stadium. However, Baros said such suggestions were untrue.

"I was disappointed on Sunday because I play football so I can take part in great matches like this," he said. "But I didn't argue with anybody. That is nonsense and it is a complete fabrication that I wanted to leave the Millennium Stadium. I would be going against myself if I came to such a decision.

"I was only disappointed and that is all. There is nothing more to say. The whole occasion is finished for me now."

Baros also rejected claims he was planning to quit Anfield.

"I am not thinking about leaving Liverpool right now. Everything is possible but that is not in my mind at the moment," he told Czech paper Daily Sport. "There are still a lot of matches in the season and I have to concentrate on the games that are ahead of us."

Former Liverpool manager Roy Evans has told Baros to fight his way back into the first team rather than moan about being left out at Cardiff.

"I wouldn't want any of my players to be happy if they were left out of a cup final, for sure. Milan is no different," Evans told Sky Sports. "He has been playing well this season, sometimes on his own up front and sometimes with Fernando Morientes.

"For Rafa (Benitez) to pick Kewell ahead of him is something of a kick in the teeth but that is the ups and downs of football. I feel Milan should get his head down and get himself back into the team."

From Irish Times (c)

What do you think the Liverpool fans are expecting - I'm "hoping" for 4th, thought we were always 2nd favourites to Chelsea in Carling Cup and laugh at the idea of winning the CL.

p.pete wrote:
    What do you think the Liverpool fans are expecting - I'm "hoping" for 4th, thought we were always 2nd favourites to Chelsea in Carling Cup and laugh at the idea of winning the CL.

so youd agree with what gerrard said then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What Gerard said was pretty accurate. But its not exactly the most motivating comment and is not what the captain should say before any match..

What Gerrard said (and I heard him say it - not just reading a quote) was wrong, and he wouldnt have said it had he not been suspended. He was a victim of his own hype and thought Liverpool would be much worse without him. We have to remember he is still only 24 - its no surprise that he says the odd stupid thing that he'll regret afterwards.

The OG v Chelsea might just bring him back down to earth. It was clearly a genuine ambition of his to lift a trophy on behalf of LFC - and he has nobody to blame but himself that he didnt realise that ambition on Sunday.

What Gerrard said (and I heard him say it - not just reading a quote) was wrong, and he wouldnt have said it had he not been suspended. He was a victim of his own hype and thought Liverpool would be much worse without him. We have to remember he is still only 24 - its no surprise that he says the odd stupid thing that he'll regret afterwards.

The OG v Chelsea might just bring him back down to earth. It was clearly a genuine ambition of his to lift a trophy on behalf of LFC - and he has nobody to blame but himself that he didnt realise that ambition on Sunday.

what a load of bull.

there are 11 players on a team, and liverpool had 11 players on the pitch against chelsea.
    to say that it was gerrards fault they lost is rediculous.

as for being a victim of his own hype, i have never seen gerrard say he is the best midfielder in the game, so im unsure what his hype was?

so youd agree with what gerrard said then?
    I completely agree with he said and I also agree that he shouldn't have said it. Never let people believe what you think - even if we were to take it with a crazy gang approach and somehow get to the final and beat the favourites it would be farce if the captain is saying there's no chance (or maybe that's exactly how they Crazy Gang sized up their chances?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

what a load of bull.

there are 11 players on a team, and liverpool had 11 players on the pitch against chelsea.

Gerard was the only one who genuinly didnt give a **** on sunday , he was dire. Tbh I half expected him to celebrate the goal and lift his Jersey to reveal the "once a blue, always a blue" T-shirt that wayne rooney doesnt need anymore.

Stekelly wrote:
    I half expected him to celebrate the goal and lift his Jersey to reveal the "once a blue, always a blue" T-shirt that wayne rooney doesnt need anymore.
    :D:D:D

• Advertisement

p.pete wrote:
    As Bannor pointed out, 30 mil will cause every club we approach to inflate their prices.

buy all the players benetiz wants before he is signed then? he should be doing that now, and probaly is.

what a load of bull.

as for being a victim of his own hype, i have never seen gerrard say he is the best midfielder in the game, so im unsure what his hype was?

Did I say "it was gerrards fault they lost" ? NO!!!!!!!
    Maybe you should read before accusing anyone of talking bull.

I said he could have nobody to blame but himself. He missed a sitter, then shortly afterwards scored an own goal. If he'd scored the goal or not scored the OG, then he likely would have lifted the trophy. Lots of other IFs and BUTs of course, as in any game, but Gerrard knows he had it in his hands and he let it go.

Surely you've heard the phrase "victim of his own hype" before ????? It doesnt mean that he's going around saying he's the greatest :rolleyes: :rolleyes: It means other people have been hyping him up, saying how brilliant he is. Its been a constant in the media of how he's carried Liverpool for the last 2 seasons.

I also said "we have to remember he is still only 24 - its no surprise that he says the odd stupid thing that he'll regret afterwards". And it was definitely a stupid thing to say at a stupid time, because (whether he meant it or not) it appeared he was saying Liverpool have no chance without him.

Gerrard won't be leaving England. He met with AC Milan last week and told them that he didn't want to leave the Premiership. Madrid have come back to Liverpool with a money only offer of €35M. They also informed the club that Owen's agent is talking to Arsenal.

I've been told that Gerrard's agent expects Chelsea to put in a bid for the player within hours of the season ending. He also expects the bid to be around £42M (€60M).

And the best bit is that the transfer is not a certainty because the player hasn't met with Chelsea officials yet! :rolleyes:

So unless he gets an injection of "Change of Heart (TM)" again, he's already a Chelsea player. Here's to hoping that Benitez gets his way and Parry screws them for everything in the deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Bannor wrote:
    I've been told that Gerrard's agent expects Chelsea to put in a bid for the player within hours of the season ending. He also expects the bid to be around £42M (€60M).
    Liverpool laughing all the way to the bank....

Bannor wrote:
    So unless he gets an injection of "Change of Heart (TM)" again, he's already a Chelsea player. Here's to hoping that Benitez gets his way and Parry screws them for everything in the deal.

the way he's been playing in recent weeks I don't think so.

Parry needs to get two players from Chelsea rather than just the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Just stop supporting Liverpool. They are a club in decline.

Its great apposing them. I backed Newcastle yesterday at 6/4 and I will be backing Leverkusen in midweek. I cant see them winning over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

If he does go to Chelsea I'd prefer a cash plus player deal with Cudicini being the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What about Scott Parker too?

Mike.

Just stop supporting Liverpool.

the logical conclusion. But you know it's not that easy.

Gerrard would have scored but for a timely block by P Ferreria. I wouldn't like to see Parker go but though.

cerbeus wrote:
    If he does go to Chelsea I'd prefer a cash plus player deal with Cudicini being the player.
    Benitez would like a little bit of cash along with several players - Cudicini isn't on the list but Duff, Gallas, Parker and Bridge (prior to getting injured) are.

• Advertisement

Don't you mean were? never in a million years would we part with Duff. I am convinced Parker is being groomed as Makelele's long term replacement, assuming Gerrard comes he'll play on the right hand side which means the mid would

Parker/Maka Lamps Gerrard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Mourinho wants another Robben, a pacy european forward who plays in the 4-3-3 system naturally.
    Duff won't sit around on the bench, he will not be second fiddle to Robben and Joaquin

smuckers wrote:
    Don't you mean were? never in a million years would we part with Duff. I am convinced Parker is being groomed as Makelele's long term replacement, assuming Gerrard comes he'll play on the right hand side which means the mid would

Parker/Maka Lamps Gerrard

would parker really be willing to sit o nthe bench for another season or 2?

No I can't see him doing that, it wil be either Parker or Maka, Claude will not last forever which is a shame, cause even though SP is a better passer than Claude, positionally he's not there yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Anyone but Joe Cole tbh

Joe Cole has perked up since Jose critisised him after the 1-0 victory over Pool at The Bridge, he seems to be using the ball better and not doing fancy tricks, one of our best performers in second half of the carling cup. This highlighted his performance against Norwich, not only did he win a challenge off a Norwich attacker but he prevented a corner also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

after his behaviour i wouldn't want him at liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

eyerer wrote:
    after his behaviour i wouldn't want him at liverpool

Whose behaviour???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

heh
    joe cole

tbh though, i think its about time gerrard packed his bags, im a bout sick of him
    his threats in the tabloids and his piss poor performances of late
    its quite like michael owen all over, except rafa should cash in this time....build a good squad of people that actually want to play and win...instead of criticising and looking down on others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PHB wrote:
    I think Mourinho wants another Robben, a pacy european forward who plays in the 4-3-3 system naturally.
    Duff won't sit around on the bench, he will not be second fiddle to Robben and Joaquin
    Why does everyone presume Duffer would be the one dropped if Joaquin was to come in? I just want to get this off my chest, again.

An awful lot of people don't understand this but Duffer's game didn't change because he woke up one morning and felt like it. He's playing the way Mourinho wants him to play. If Mourinho wants another Robben he'll tell Duffer to play more attacking and give him more freedom to run with the ball.

He has won Ireland 2 penalties in the qualifiers so far by superbly dribbling into the box. He also set up Robbie's goal against Croatia by dribbling past 2 players and crossing it in low. Here are those 3 (recent) incidents in case anyone forgot what he can do when he's allowed run with the ball:
    http://members.boards.ie/eirebhoy/duffer.avi

Duff is as good as Robben attacking wise but people think he just gets off the plane in London and loses it. Its all down to Mourinho. He has made him into a more complete player but I'm starting to feel like I want to see the old Duffer at Chelsea as people (punters and even fellow professionals) think Robben is better because he's allowed run with the ball.

BTW, heres a post from me when everyone thought Chelsea were a one man team and it was Robben that was turning them from 1-0's to 4-0's:

Robben's first appearance for Chelsea was against Blackburn, they were winning 3-0 when he came on and it was clear they had finally gelled (without the Dutchman). That was only Duff's second or third start.
    Chelsea's next match against West Brom, Robben only came on at half time and set up a goal. Duff set up a goal and also scored one, played the full 90 minutes.
    The next match was against Everton, Robben scored the goal but Chelsea only won 1-0.
    I'll skip on a couple of matches. :) Chelsea's biggest wins this season were against Charlton, Newcastle and Norwich (all 4-0), Duff was the better player in all 3.

Robben hasn't played well against a top team yet this season. Chelsea with Robben and Duff are superb. Without either of them they're less effective but most people seem to thinks its only Robben that they miss.

I'm sure a lot of you know this by now but offend Duffer and you're offending me. ;) Even considering putting our best player of his generation (and one of our best ever players) on the bench long term when he is at his peak is saying very, very little for our national team.

December 12th (the month after Robben got POTM):
    "Since Arjen Robben came back from his injury, everyone has been talking about Robben, Robben, Robben, but people forget about Damien. He has scored some incredible goals, his movement in an attacking and defensive sense is fantastic. All our forwards are in good form but Damien is the best of the lot." - Mourinho

• Advertisement
Advertisement