Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb and Bittorrent

Options
  • 26-02-2005 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

I'm very new to Bittorrent - only using it for the past few days. Anyway I'm getting very slow speeds using the latest official Bittorrent client and BitTornado (showing a yellow status indicator). I'm wondering is the problem with my Belkin FD57230 v2 router (I've read on the net that it can have problems with bittorrent) or with my Digiweb DSL. From what I've read on boards Digiweb has stopped throttling p2p traffic and certainly my limewire speeds have improved recently. Anyway will be moving to Smart when my 12 months expires in May.

I've followed all the instructions on

http://www.portforward.com/belkin/f5d7230-4-portforwarding.htm

i.e I set up a static IP address and entered the ports as in the attached picture (my IP address is blanked for privacy).

Both clients are in the exceptions list in the XP firewall and I manually added all the Bittorrent ports too!

I then checked the setup on http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl - the test failed and BitTornado is still giving a yellow status indicator and slow speeds.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Not even to sure if this is allowed be discussed due to the legality around Bittorent!

- Sully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Sully04 wrote:
    Not even to sure if this is allowed be discussed due to the legality around Bittorent!

- Sully

Illegal things are discussed everyday on this forum, theft, murder, rape, dancing on people's heads til their eyes pop out...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

fade2black wrote:
    Illegal things are discussed everyday on this forum, theft, murder, rape, dancing on people's heads til their eyes pop out...

Yes but giving advice on how to do illegal things, such as using Bittorent, may not be a good idea? Just making a wild educated guess here ;)

- SullY

..and there's where the line between discussion and advicing is crossed....

fade2black wrote:
    ..and there's where the line between discussion and advicing is crossed....

[MESS]
    You getting Smart with me boy are ya? Wanna fight about it? Eh? Not so tough now are ya!
    [/MESS]

- Sully ;P

• Advertisement

haha...was actually agreeing with ya me boyo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Bittorrent isn't illegal, nor is it in itself a particularly useful method for sharing files one doesn't have legal rights to share (Bittorrent in combination with a web-based directory of illegally shared files is another matter, though that makes the directory a single point of attack for lawyers).

When I want to get a large file that is legally available I look for the torrent of it, smart people who have reasons to provide large files provide such a torrent.
    I much prefer getting the latest firefox install at 420kbs than at the 12-20kbs I can get from the web when there's a lot of contention for a new release. For that matter I'm sure the mozilla project's financial people prefer it when they aren't taking the entire brunt of upload bandwidth.

digitaldr, what's your uploading like? Are you managing to upload at all on Bittorrent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

It could be argued that the internet itself is "illegal" - you can obtain lots of illegal information/goods both real and virtual without ever using p2p. Anyway uploads are on average about 7kB/s

Talliesin wrote:
    Bittorrent isn't illegal, nor is it in itself a particularly useful method for sharing files one doesn't have legal rights to share (Bittorrent in combination with a web-based directory of illegally shared files is another matter, though that makes the directory a single point of attack for lawyers).

When I want to get a large file that is legally available I look for the torrent of it, smart people who have reasons to provide large files provide such a torrent.
    I much prefer getting the latest firefox install at 420kbs than at the 12-20kbs I can get from the web when there's a lot of contention for a new release. For that matter I'm sure the mozilla project's financial people prefer it when they aren't taking the entire brunt of upload bandwidth.

digitaldr, what's your uploading like? Are you managing to upload at all on Bittorrent?

Agreed.

- Sully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

Sounds like Digiweb blocking ports again.... They are the only ISP i know that consistently do this. Find a tracker that doesn't use the usual ports (6881~6889) and see if it makes any difference. But it'll only be a matter of time before they suss what new ports you're using and throttle those too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

this has been discussed to death, YES they throttle p2p

here's a thread about it
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2375926#post2375926

and there are loads more, just use search

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Sounds like Digiweb blocking ports again.... They are the only ISP i know that consistently do this. Find a tracker that doesn't use the usual ports (6881~6889) and see if it makes any difference. But it'll only be a matter of time before they suss what new ports you're using and throttle those too.
    Blocking ports would be pretty pointless. The likes of BitTornado use random ports and they can hardly block all ports. According to that thread CyberGhost linked to they're using some sort of filtering.
    It's also irrevlevant what port the tracker is using. They don't tend to use 6881-6889 anyway. It's your client port that matters if they were doing port blocking and as I said newer versions of BitTornado etc. use random ports (within a range) so choosing ports to block would be impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved over to Nets/Comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

If your with Digiweb then BT won't work. They're the only ISP in the country to do it and I would suggest if you have a lappy use BT at an internet cafe otherwise switch ISP.

Advertisement