Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheated out of deposit.Any advice please

Options
  • 26-02-2005 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

I lived as a tenant in a shared house in Galway from july2004- Jan2005. Recently moved up to northern ireland to start a new job.

Paid €230 deposit when I moved in. The person I gave it to wasn't my landlord but he lives in Galway so the landlord gets him to manage his different houses in Galway. Got a receipt and everything was grand.

Gave my notice on 17th December and said I'd have moved out by 15th January.Landlord started arguing that I'd have to pay rent until the end of January. If I left I would lose half my deposit.I said no way, if I'm paying rent every month, then I only had to give one months notice,not 6weeks notice. Eventually got him to agree that as long as my room was clean and I payed my share of bills when I left I would get my €230 deposit.

Moved out on the 13th and informed the person in Galway. He checked my room and said it was fine and that he'd post my deposit in a few days.

By Feburary 4th, I still hadn't recieved it so I rang up my landlord and he said he left the deposit with one of the tenants. I posted her a letter asking if she would lodge my deposit in my bank a/c and she did this.

However when I checked my account it was for only €113, roughly half my deposit.

Haven't been able to get through to my landlord yet. Since I never gave written notice can I still get my deposit back? I didn't know my landlords address at the time. I never met him, he lives in Cavan.

Sorry, this is so long, any advice apprecited.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I retract the above post.

It wasn't my landlords fault at all.

When I left the house I left €90 on the coffee table for bills.
    There ws one other tenant in the house at the time.

Another tenant did lodge the remains of my deposit in my bank a/c. However she never knew that I had left money for bills as the first tenant robbed my bill money.

Then when she wnet to get my deposit to lodge it, that was robbed. This was four weeks after I moved out.

At the end of this story, Im down €207 because of a robbin bastard of a housemate. I even shook his hand when I moved out

Go to Gardaí. Don't post personal details here.

Banned.

Advertisement