Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Arnotts have a "Lemon" policy?

Options
  • 26-02-2005 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

I've just taken back a Philips DVD Recorder to Arnotts as it had a host of problems. It was the DVDR520H, which I've found isn't actually a Philips machine at all, just a rebranded and restyled Liteon product. It's made in China rather than Hungary where the Philips products are made, which should have been a giveaway.

I've been told that as I'm out of the 28 day return period, the machine will have to go back to Philips for repair rather than me getting a refund. The machine that I've bought is riddled with problems (won't make a compatible DVD+RW disc, garbles recordings, lost existing recordings when I defragged the HD, won't split recordings in the right place, etc etc) and it turns out that these are problems with the model rather than just my machine.

I guess my question is this: If I get the thing repaired and it still has the same problems after repair will Arnotts insist on sending it back again for repair? If so, how many times will they send it back before it write it off?

Anyone have any previous experience with the Arnotts AV department?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

That's the problem dealing with a primarily clothing/household retailer for electronics. Bring in some stuff off the net about the model's problems next time and ask to see somebody in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭lardboy

I wouldn't normally buy from there, but I had a load of vouchers for Xmas that I'd never spend otherwise.

I'm going to go back everytime I get a problem and hopefully, I'll bore them into submission!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC correctly it's not arnotts but a franchise operating there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gothic Warrior

lardboy wrote:
    I've just taken back a Philips DVD Recorder to Arnotts as it had a host of problems. It was the DVDR520H, which I've found isn't actually a Philips machine at all, just a rebranded and restyled Liteon product. It's made in China rather than Hungary where the Philips products are made, which should have been a giveaway.

I've been told that as I'm out of the 28 day return period, the machine will have to go back to Philips for repair rather than me getting a refund. The machine that I've bought is riddled with problems (won't make a compatible DVD+RW disc, garbles recordings, lost existing recordings when I defragged the HD, won't split recordings in the right place, etc etc) and it turns out that these are problems with the model rather than just my machine.

I guess my question is this: If I get the thing repaired and it still has the same problems after repair will Arnotts insist on sending it back again for repair? If so, how many times will they send it back before it write it off?

Anyone have any previous experience with the Arnotts AV department?
    Under the "Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980"; you are entitled to a FULL refund. It's against the law to refuse a refund for faulty goods, and you can take them to the small claims court.

'Goods must be of merchantible quality'.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA16Y1980.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Under the "Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980"; you are entitled to a FULL refund. It's against the law to refuse a refund for faulty goods, and you can take them to the small claims court.

'Goods must be of merchantible quality'.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA16Y1980.html

Here Here. Document all correspondance with them (phone, email, etc) and go the Small Claims Court route if don't get any satisfaction. It's an easy and cheap process and you don't need a solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

You should have a years warranty. The 28 days only applies if you are trying to exchange goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^
    What they said.
    If the product is under manufacturer's warranty, the onus is on the retailer to chase it up. You have a contract with Arnotts, not with Phillips, so you only have to deal with Arnotts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

I agree with Gothic warrior on this one.
    he is completely right on this matter, allthough it is in good faith that you should agree to give them a chance for a first repair, but you have to make sure that it is then in perfect working condition as you expected.
    If the problem is still there, you should request a full refund for the product.
    Allthough Arnott's is a franchiser, it doesn't mean that they fall out of this legislation, they are traders, and adher to the same rulings as every other company.
    the 1 year warranty on the Recorder, is placed by the manufacturer, not the sales person, it is a service that, in this case Philips, are giving their customers in case something should happen.

I would handle this in the following manner.
    Agree to get it repaired, if the problem is still therte, then request a refund, if they refuse, write them a letter and if they still don't agree, go to the small claims court

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭lardboy

Gilgamesh wrote:
    I would handle this in the following manner.
    Agree to get it repaired, if the problem is still there, then request a refund, if they refuse, write them a letter and if they still don't agree, go to the small claims court
    That's exactly how I'm going to go about it. If there's any problem with the repaired machine I'll be straight back in there asking the manager for a refund. The law should always be the last port of call on these things; if I can get it sorted with a smile on my face then I will. Life's too short. Mind you, €600 is still €600!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Also keep a log of each coversation, return date, letter etc. He who has more paperwork invariable wins these things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Some vendors will buy equipment without a manufacturers warranty. This allows then to buy them cheaper. They take on the risk for the 12 months hoping that balance between what they save and what they have to pay to replace faulty units tips in their favor. I am not sure if Arnotts buy like this but if they do it may account for part of their "reluctance" to replace the unit.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

hmm,

al interesting stuff.

it is true to say that if you buy a faulty produce that you are entitled to a refund, not simply a replacement, but they may be saying 28 days because it took you longer than this to discover that the produce was faulty.

this would imply that the produce was not faulty, ie never worked properly, but rather that it ceised to work, ie borke, in which case you are entitled to repair.

in any case you are entitled to at least 12 months warranty, plus whatever was promised. but you may be entitled to a longer period if you can prove that it was reasonably to expect the product to last longer than 12 months. ie in the case of a car etc. this falls into the clasue, of said law, of fit for the purpose intended.

anyway. at this stage your best bet is to keep bringing it back until they give you your money back. either philips of arnotts (whoever is paying for repairs), will eventually cut their losses.

Advertisement