Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Friend Wanted

• 26-02-2005 8:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

A warm hellooo to all of you Irish (or non-Irish:) lads & lassies from lovely Galway! ;)

My name is Isabelle. Oh my God I am already 24 and believe it or not I am a kind German girl:)

I am going to visit your beauteous Galway at 30 April – 21 May 2005. I will participate in some English courses at Atlantic Language School. I am searching for some nice pen pals or friends to write em@ils (snail mail), to have fun, and to go out with in Galway. Ayeee, I could also help you with German or Dutch.

I am into mythology, Celtic and Germanic languages, nature, (ice) hockey, martial arts, drawing, literature, music (Irish, Swedish, Asian folklore, rock, classical etc), crazy thingiiies and a loads more... :p

So is there anyone to show me a cool pub, a nice hurling/foortball game or even to go to a nice theatre?

Please, understand that I am on my knees and if you are not scared just drop me a line:)

I hope there is anyone out there to hang out with me and show me the Gateway to Conemarra!

Have a pleasant day!
    Cheers
    Isabelle

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The gateway to Connemara was stolen, galvanised, and resold in Limerick to a boy racer as a bullbar.

There are plenty of Galway folks around on this board, and only some of us are deviant freaks. This is as good a place as any to find people in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Post a picture.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Isabelle wrote:
    Please, understand that I am on my knees and if you are not scared just drop me a line:)
    Send a PM to Asok, he sounds like the type of person you're after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Sarky wrote:
    and only some of us are deviant freaks.
    Amz wrote:
    Send a PM to Asok, he sounds like the type of person you're after.

My ears are burning!

Let that be a lesson. Aural rape is not as much fun as it sounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Isabelle wrote:
    going to visit your beauteous Galway at 30 April – 21 May 2005. I will participate in some English courses at Atlantic Language School. I am searching for some nice pen pals or friends to write em@ils (snail mail), to have fun, and to go out with in Galway. Ayeee, I could also help you with German or Dutch.

What part of Germany are you from. I am visiting Munich at the end of April for just under a week or so.

cheers from a Cold Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Sarky wrote:
    Let that be a lesson. Aural rape is not as much fun as it sounds.

You said you were a gentle lover!

It got me a pair of ears, didn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Modesty must be a foreign word here *naughty grin*

Well, Munich is a great city I can tell, especially when it's 'Oktoberfest' (October festival) time. Much of fun, drinking going on...just like a big party.
    Originally I come from Jena. I started there with my studies at the Friedrich-Schiller-University. My parents live around Leipzig (remember next year football world champion ship, hehe).
    However, at the moment I live in Almelo, Holland. Ayeeee, I am glad to go back to Galway :p
    Have a splendid day and relaaaaaaax gentlemen

Isabelle

Oh, people are quite aware of the meaning of modesty. Mostly so it can be avoided effeciently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread.

Some comments made earlier are borderline, and may well be deleted later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭TheLedge

SyxPak wrote:

Thats tragic. really it is.

Ban me if it makes you feel better. :rolleyes:

Well, guys

1. Are there any good places in Galway where I could see a nice Hurling/Gaelic football match?

2. If I go to pay the NUIG a visit, do I have to make an appointment first or is it possible to 'just walk around a bit'?

Thanks in advance lads & lassies ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

If I go to pay the NUIG a visit, do I have to make an appointment first or is it possible to 'just walk around a bit'?

No appointment needed, you can just go and walk around.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ruadan

Yup,its very open. Full of fun deviant types and crazy hippies like meself, thares actually a huge german contingent here as well.

Theres nothing to stop you attending the odd lecture if you went completely nuts and for some reason decided that would be a good idea.....

And what is this modesty of which you speak? :confused:

Ayeeee, good to know that I can just walk around a bit and that people are friendly or of the crazy types, hehe. Yes, I'm German, but at the moment I study in the Netherlands and it is a bit boring where I study. This year I am going to finish my studies anyway, but I thought it would be nice to pay the NUIG a visit and to get an impression of the atmosphere there :p

About the modesty: Well, when I started the thread I hoped to find so to give me some 'insider tips' of Galway, to chat with, have some fun with, or perhaps to hang around with, but then the chaps replied with their funny, :eek: naughty comments!
    So I just made fun of their 'modesty'. Aaaa well, just kiddin' around a bit and who does understand German humour anyway :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Isabelle wrote:
    who does understand German humour anyway :confused:
    Indeed.

Hi Isabelle,
    you can find your gaa info here

You can get a map here.
    The games are played in Dangan.
    Enjoy Galway!

*hug*

Think thats about exam time when youre up, people de-stressing in various pubs around the place ;)

Thank you very much indeed for the great info about the map/sports !
    [plus I humbly apologise for the German humour :p ]

And Ruadan thanks for the tip that the students are de-stressing, hehe
    Go raibh maith 'ad ! *big smile*

Oh yeees, and a question about Irish Gaelic 'babog' (or sth?) does it really mean 'baby'? Is it a (hmmmm how shall I put this?) 'chat-up-line' or what ? *grin*

However I like when the Irish say 'my love'. I think it is really sweet and affectionate, hehe.

Keep the good work eh LOVELY work up!

Cheers m8

Isabelle wrote:
    Thank you very much indeed for the great info about the map/sports !
    [plus I humbly apologise for the German humour :p ]

And Ruadan thanks for the tip that the students are de-stressing, hehe
    Go raibh maith 'ad ! *big smile*

Oh yeees, and a question about Irish Gaelic 'babog' (or sth?) does it really mean 'baby'? Is it a (hmmmm how shall I put this?) 'chat-up-line' or what ? *grin*

However I like when the Irish say 'my love'. I think it is really sweet and affectionate, hehe.

Keep the good work eh LOVELY work up!

Cheers m8

Babóg is more like a doll/baby-doll that a child would have. It wouldn't really be a chat-upline - in my humble opinion at least smile.gif
    'my love' == 'mo ghrá' (pron: mugraw)

• Advertisement

Go raibh míle maith agat *Gean gáire * :p

Recently I've found a site with magnificent Irish-Gaelic endearments. I was impressed by the wealth of loving and enchanting expressions:

Ways to express love

First person singular I
    Gráím thú – I love you – Not used often because Irish has been traditionally more of a prepositional language than a verbal one.
    Tugaim cion duit – I give you affection
    Tá cion agam ort – I have affection for you
    Tá mé ceanúil ort – I’m loving/ affectionate towards you
    Tá grá agam duit – I have love for you
    Táim i ngrá leat – I am in love with you
    Is breá liom – I love (a thing/ activity)

However I must say my favourite is:
    Tá mo chroí istigh ionat – My heart is within you

http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com/lessons/article-49-10.html

And I have always been loving this one: Gra-Mo-Chroi!

It reminds me of this Scottish protagonist/ main character James Fraser in the book 'Outlander' written by Diana Gabaldon. Softly he whispers his Claire sweet Gaelic words in the ear :p

Aaaaw, ye know women are helpless romantic, haha :eek:

Irish is a bit of a mix of Germanic and Latin languages, or at least it has evolved as such over time.

It has a neutral form of nouns like german called the neodar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

SyxPak wrote:
    Irish is a bit of a mix of Germanic and Latin languages.

ROFL :):) Irish is a Celtic language . You would be correct in saying that it has a very complete set of grammar rules ...as do German and Latin... but it is not a mix .

The neodar was phased out about 3-400 years ago .

Why dont ye geekeens simply invite her to a Lan party or tell her where to score that GigE schtuff .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Isabelle wrote:
    and who does understand German humour anyway :confused:

I do :)

Sponge Bob wrote:
    ROFL :):) Irish is a Celtic language . You would be correct in saying that it has a very complete set of grammar rules ...as do German and Latin... but it is not a mix .

The neodar was phased out about 3-400 years ago .

Why dont ye geekeens simply invite her to a Lan party or tell her where to score that GigE schtuff .

Good lad.

Have a word with Seamus O'Mairtín about it.
    I'm just paraphrasing what he spent 5 years drilling into us.

I'm just offering a bit of background, what came to my head.
    Nice of you to judge me based on a link in my sig.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

He did his best with what Marys gave him ....no doubt :)

Tell her about the rain, g'wan.

Isabelle, hi and stuff.

Visit Mayo, its cool.

Mythology and folklore interest me also, i'll send you some links if i can ever convince my webmail to let me have them back.

Hiyaaaa lovely lads just calm down

RELA [longest glottal stop ever] X !
    Goodie *strokes their heads* ;)

I’m not an expert in this matter, but I would say that both of you are right in a particular way:
    Gaelic is a Celtic language but it has, of course, Germanic (old Norse etc.) and Latin influences. This is understandable when you contemplate the history of Eire and have a closer look to the etymology of words.

Exempli gratia:
    Common Scottish place-name elements show some old Norse influence (sorry, I’ve just got a Scottish-Gaelic book, but you like your brothers, don’t you?)

-aig => often represents Old Norse vík a bay, as in Arisaig

source: The pocket guide to Scottish words/ Scots Gaelic, Iseabail Macleod

Now as you can see they even have my name in Gaelic: Isabelle = Iseabail! :eek:

Isabella/ Isabelle (from the Hebrew origin Elizabeth) has long been popular in Scotland in one form or another. Gaelic form is Iseabail. Aye, I know how it is pronounced. In Edinburgh, a nice Irish lady said it every time to me.

Thanks guys!

You'll never calm syxer down, he's a rolling ball of un-calm-downable moderating energy :eek:

on another note it would appear you have many potential friends for your visit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SyxPak wrote:

I was wondering where my post disappeared to... :rolleyes:

And it wasn't even naughty!

Advertisement