Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Friend Wanted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I had nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

My comment was meant as a joke to all the people who, once they find out a girl uses the internet immediately comes up with "r yu hot?" as an opener.

I didnt think it deserved a delete, it was clearly toungue in cheek :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Drake - I did not delete your comment and I really don't mind when someone is a bit cheeky. Sometimes my humour is a bit 'lascivious' 2 :p At least my Scandinavian friends say so, hehe. So just relax & enjoy! *naughty grin*

Ruadan - Thanks. I am really fond of mythology, I'm interested in a whole bunch of subjects (sports,languages/culture, music,ecology, law, physics, literature and so forth). However a good sense of humour always works with me.

Besides, Ronan thanks for understanding German humour. Finally someone, haha :eek:

Sponge Bob Yeeaaaah a Lan party would be coool! :cool:

Syx Pak and Sponge thanks for the delight of wisdom and your input when it comes to lovely Gaelic

Must be: Ádh na nÉireannach

Have a staggeringly splendid day lads & lassies !

Now a nota bene to the meteorologists among you: What will the weather be like in May (Galway)? I hope it will not be too cold to wear a short skirt.
    I am not planning to freeze (somewhere :eek: ) haha

Questions:

Ruadan: 1. Are there any lectures around the exam time?
    2. If I may ask: What do you study?

For the Gaelic freaks: What does ‘Ceatharlach’ mean?

General I: Is there a good possibility to visit Ashford Castle and the Lough Mask? (I mean, when you want to start a tour from Galway and go there by train/bus whatsoever)
    General II: Are there any special off-the beaten track places around your area?

Remark about the weather:

At the moment it is ice-cold & snowy. I mean I am fond of nature, but this time I cannot see and do not want to feel the coldness anymore. I cannot wait…roll on gentle & warm spirit of spring! I cannot wait until the Galwegian May will blossom every ice-kissed flower, hehe.

Infinity of snow
    Touches my hair
    Forever snow in my soul

When my lips have the colour
    Of my sword
    Thou art doomed
    To cost icy water
    Thy heart will freeze to death

Ooops, a savage never cares about the weather, rrrright? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Weather:
    Probably rainy and a little cold, most lightly.

Ceatharlach means Carlow, I think im not sure.
    Carlow is a county in Ireland.
    Isabelle wrote:
    Is there a good possibility to visit Ashford Castle and the Lough Mask?
    As far as I know their are bus tours to both just go to the tourist office, they will answer any of your questions

Where is the tourist office:
    Somebody else will have to answer this I havent a clue of the street name.
    I would offer to show you but my exams begin then :(
    Isabelle wrote:
    Are there any special off-the beaten track places around your area?
    Ya there is but at the moment i cant thinks of any, im sure some of the other nice galway people will help you their :D

• Advertisement

Good job Arginite ! Thanks so much, lad

Yeeeees, I know where the tourist office is. It is close to the Eyre Square stuffie and the Atlantic (At least sth I know ;)

Are there any cool theatres (town hall theatre/Druid theatre ? which is better) when it comes to 'good old plays'' in English or even Irish?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

ARGINITE wrote:
    Somebody else will have to answer this I havent a clue of the street name.
    Its on foster street just off eyre square.

You should visit the aran islands for Irish language.
    They'res a cool ring fort on a cliff overlooking the atlantic.
    Aran ferries are on foster street too as far as i remember.

http://www.aranislandferries.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

It helps when you are born there Isabelle.

I know you didnt delete it Isabelle, was talking to the ironfisted mod Syxpak ;D

Ironfisted, for your pleasure Alan ;>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

SyxPak wrote:
    Ironfisted, for your pleasure Alan ;>
    PM this stuff please!
    We dont need to know what yee do outside boards. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ruadan

Isabelle wrote:

Ruadan - Thanks. I am really fond of mythology, I'm interested in a whole bunch of subjects (sports,languages/culture, music,ecology, law, physics, literature and so forth). However a good sense of humour always works with me.

Howdy, there should be some courses still running.

I am in second year of a 4 year undenominated Bsc course hoping to get a degree in Chemistry. In my spare time i study much of everything, am the current secretary of the NUI, Galway Philosophy society and reecently failed in an attempt to win a by- election for the position of environmental officer in the Students Union.

Currently occupied with My second campaighn, the same position, but the full term next year. Election next thursday :eek:

Weather, tends to be pretty warm about then, but it will rain.

Peace.

It helps when you are born there Isabelle.

Actually, I do not think that is true :p *yeah ye're rrrright the cheeky Germans*

As I remember you have no street numbers and streets names are rare, too. Some of the street names are in Irish that is alright, but some people (natives) cannot read it either, because they forgot about Gaelic (what a pitty) even in the Ghaeltacht areas. I remember that nice jolly taxi driver, who told me all about that and some people of the Sleepzone who did not know where to find a place that is so close (wrong map). :confused:

Please, don’t tell me it helps when you are born there, hehe. Nonetheless, what I do appreciate are the wonderful tips of the kind Galwegians. Keep the good work up!

Aaaaw, isn't this Eire so lovely chaotic, hehe.
    [Reminds me of the book: Daughter of Lir by Diana Norman
    two strangers from two different worlds. Their worlds collide/clash and yet they are not different enough to love]

Furthermore, I’ve been to Galway once (first week of this year), but it was a very, very short stay, just one week (‘really meager’). I went to the Atlantic to brush up my rusty English and I had private tuition. This was really cool. I had a kind teacher and my focus was on pronunciation (I have an icelandic intonation :eek: ] It was this lovely Pygmalion story just like Eliza and Prof Higgins and I got to know about the wonderful world of ‘Ths’ and how the Irish pronounce the ‘h’ (‘th-test’ – now I try to do my best to support the Irish and pronounce it like the Irish do ;)

About the rest of the days: My friends were not really motivated. They walked around like little divas. This means they were constantly complaining about the weather and they did not want to visit many places, that’s why I haven’t seen so much, but I’m very fond of Eire, I enjoyed my lessons and the small bits of Galway.

This time I am planning to do more things, to see more things and interesting places that often insiders know, therefore I ask the questions about Galway. I want to see things about sports, culture and nature. I really need ‘’input’
    [input: for the computer freaks: some software to install
    for the poets; give me soul food. Feeeeed me, teeeeeach meeeeeee *begging on her knees*

Ruadan: Oh yeees, you have a couple of splendid interests. You’re really the current secretary of the NUIG?
    Oh and I wish you the best with the elections. Besides, Í'm very busy also. I've got two studies and two jobs (teacher of German :eek: / translator of websites).

Irish Blessings
    May there always be work for your hands to do,
    May your purse always hold a coin or two.
    May the sun always shine warm on your windowpane,
    May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain.
    May the hand of a friend always be near you,
    And may God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you!

Alright, Mr hamburger-eating-environmentalist
    Take care

Arginite: Your first name sounds very Dutch to me

Syx Pak: I think it is cool that you use the German thingie: Franziskanerführer of the Knights of Comeonbanus. Why is that ?

Oh yes, it is good to have an enthousiastic moderator. Come on rest, treasssure that :cool:

I like Weissbier more than Budweiser/Heineken/Carlsberg etc.
    It's more fun to pour for a start.
    The Knights are the result of an in-joke on Boards.

You suck John..

Lets have a bit of fun eh?

Read the charter :)

And your posts are more like After Hours or PI fodder.

This is me in official mode.

SyxPak wrote:
    Irish is a bit of a mix of Germanic and Latin languages, or at least it has evolved as such over time.

It has a neutral form of nouns like german called the neodar.

To come back to this topic after all the 'naughty remarks' here and there:

I like the comparison, however, my association refers to the richness of words of both languages. Gaelic has a whole bunch of proverbs and in German there are so many phrases and words for every fine nuance. It's really great! Nay, I'm not just talking about the 11 different words that describe going to the loo :p There are other priorities. (Look Sarky: I'm not that modest either, am I?)

Moreover, for some people it sounds harsh & monotonous, but it can be different. And like I told someone before: It can be so soft and
    sweet as a kiss of a young bride & so dark and powerful as infinity of
    night!

Oh Syxpak, good to hear about the beer :cool:

Isabelle wrote:
    Ruadan: Oh yeees, you have a couple of splendid interests. You’re really the current secretary of the NUIG?
    Oh and I wish you the best with the elections. Besides, Í'm very busy also. I've got two studies and two jobs (teacher of German :eek: / translator of websites).
    :

Nui, Galway philosophy society. "philsoc" for short
    I don't think the NUI even has a secretary.......

Wowzers thats much busyness! I get stressed with 2 lab write ups a week and occasional outdoor part time work.

Ruadan: Ooopsie that I got the secretary thing wrong *shame, red cheeks glowing*

Aye, I'm quite busy and I hope to relax in a cool pub in Galway and enjoy some good traditional or rock music. I've just checked out a demo version of Delorentos. 'Belgium' is kinda cool song ;)

So Roisin Dubh or Sallys would be good to have craic ?
    Any other pubs to recommend ?

Moreover, I've found sth interesting at the Galway Advertiser: Shaw classic to be staged by Compantás Lir at An Taibhdhearc
    Claregalway-Carnmore drama group Compántas Lir will stage the classic George Bernard Shaw play Pygmalion in An Taibhdhearc for two nights next week. ==> Why can't I be there ?

isa_ash.jpg

• Advertisement

The Rosin and sallys are cool. Kings Head is pretty good to, if a little more expensive.

The College Bar is full of students also but might be hard to get into without a student ID

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

The college bar is a joke, especially during rag week.

Barly anyone from my first year science course got in... even tho some of them were over 18, and I myself am 19 and was denied entry because "Your ownly a first year, young fella".

Monroes is the place to go in Galway City, they play Irish Traditionalish Music. The quays are good too, look out for a band called Ardvarna or a guy by the name of Pat(een) Padrick, they do class Irish music.

I love Germany, particulary your beer... It is proper beer, none of this watered down Budwesier crap that they can throw out to you in some pubs.

There are a number of tour operators who offer tours to places like the Burren in Co.Clare, and back the West of Galway too. Dan O'Haras has an old cottage with a nice visitors center you nmight be interested in. It is located about 30- 40 miles west of Galway City on the N59 on the Clifden Road.

Ruadan wrote:
    The Rosin and sallys are cool. Kings Head is pretty good to, if a little more expensive.

The College Bar is full of students also but might be hard to get into without a student ID

About the College Bar: I'm a pretty old lady so 24 ;) though I still look young (my 16-17 years old students/basically lads always try to flatter me. Adolescence what else should I say :)

that's why I hope they will let me in. Furthermore, I've got a European student cardie, but I dunno know whether this will work?

Most Atlantic students go to Kings Head.

Number6 wrote:
    The college bar is a joke, especially during rag week.

Barly anyone from my first year science course got in... even tho some of them were over 18, and I myself am 19 and was denied entry because "Your ownly a first year, young fella".

Monroes is the place to go in Galway City, they play Irish Traditionalish Music. The quays are good too, look out for a band called Ardvarna or a guy by the name of Pat(een) Padrick, they do class Irish music.

I love Germany, particulary your beer... It is proper beer, none of this watered down Budwesier crap that they can throw out to you in some pubs.

There are a number of tour operators who offer tours to places like the Burren in Co.Clare, and back the West of Galway too. Dan O'Haras has an old cottage with a nice visitors center you nmight be interested in. It is located about 30- 40 miles west of Galway City on the N59 on the Clifden Road.

Wow! An Irish that loves Germany and even German beer! Super! Finally! Yeah, you're so rrright about the beer. Most beers just taste like water with nothin'in it. German beer is nice! Do you know that the Germans have special purity requirements when it comes to the ingredients of a beer/ German purity law ('deutsches Reinheitsgebot') ==> http://www.sustainweb.org/publications/downloads/ff_beer.pdf

And thanks for the good tips about the tours and Monroes. I've already seen Kylemore Abbey and Maam Cross. I will make a list of what I'm going to see (yeeeah the Germans are always so structured making lists here and there, haha. Not always ;)

The bouncers are pretty sound, if yer with someone they'll usually let non students in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

Isabelle wrote:
    I've already seen Kylemore Abbey and Maam Cross. I

You've passed by my house if you've gone to Maam Cross, although Maam Cross is a bit of a crappy place imho. Did you go to Peacocks (the hotel with the thatch cottage right beside it)?

As for the purity laws regarding beer, it does make a hell of a difference to the quality and taste of a beer. I missed the cloudy, yeasty beers untill Franizkanner came along on the Galway Scene a few years back, and I haven't looked back since.

Number6 wrote:
    You've passed by my house if you've gone to Maam Cross, although Maam Cross is a bit of a crappy place imho. Did you go to Peacocks (the hotel with the thatch cottage right beside it)?

As for the purity laws regarding beer, it does make a hell of a difference to the quality and taste of a beer. I missed the cloudy, yeasty beers untill Franizkanner came along on the Galway Scene a few years back, and I haven't looked back since.

I've passed your house *coooooooooooool* ;)
    Yeah, I've seen the Peacock 2
    I liked Kylemore Abbey, there were not so many tourist around, hehe
    Aaaaaaw, the water was so fresh and clear. I took a special stone out of the water. My own Kylemore Abbey gift. Salavation, juhuuuu! When I touched the water I got the feeling to dive in it. Perhaps it would be cool to swim there nakedly ?! Aaaaw, there are 2 many tourists around during the spring and summer time :eek:

About the beer:

Ye're so right, lad. Beer should be beer and not water mixed with sirup!
    Purity law is okay, ye can always be sure about the ingredients :cool:
    There are already so many toxins in our drinks and food. So why not avoid it in liquid food - in beer *grin*

Ruadan wrote:
    The bouncers are pretty sound, if yer with someone they'll usually let non students in

Okay, otherwise I'll try my best *puppet or puppy look*. It's so sweet no one can resist. Trust me! ;)

Just say you're a visiting student, or find some student thats known and go in with them.

• Advertisement

Or grab a random student on their way to the bar, and offer him/her a pint if they'll sign you in.

Advertisement