Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Friend Wanted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ruadan

*looks shifty* i'll get you in, no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ruadan wrote:
    *looks shifty* i'll get you in, no problem.

Finally, a man a word!

And about Mayo: Claddagh is in the county Mayo right?

Is there anything to see there or is it just a very small place?

SyxPak wrote:
    Or grab a random student on their way to the bar, and offer him/her a pint if they'll sign you in.

Aye, I'll offer every random student a pint and then they'll help me to 'conquer the bar' :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Isabelle wrote:
    And about Mayo: Claddagh is in the county Mayo right?
    Nope Claddagh is in Galway city.
    Quite a nice area with swans by the sea.
    And of course the claddagh ring:
    http://www.galway1.ie/faq/claddagh.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

haha, ring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

You're easily amused Alan.

You could always go "Bog Snorkling" or some other such weird, wacky and wonderful things. A trip to Aaran is also a must, and get yourself a nice wooly Aaran Jumper too.

Mayo's great. we have....... ummmm, and.......... err :confused:

Well i'm sure theres something of interest here (well there, im in Galway ATM, bus home at 3.30),

lets see. The Ceide Fields, loads of museums around the place. Good pubs in Castlebar, Westport is pretty to look at. Yeats country is here isn't it?

Well at least its better than Leitrim. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Ruadan wrote:
    Well at least its better than Leitrim.
    no, not better than leitrim.
    But maybe sligo.

Sligo is less isolated and inbred. :p

Thanks lads you make me really happy with your wonderful tips! Good job!

H & M: Too bad that you dunno have a H & M in Galway. They have really sexy clothes, hehe :eek:

Claddagh: Oh yes, I already know about the ring and how to wear it. And I've seen some old sweet Irish married couples wearing it. Aaaaw, isn't this romantic ?!

Claddagh region: I thought that there is a special village or town named Claddagh and I thought this would not be in Galway City. Of course, there are many shops that sell Claddagh jewellerey in Galway City, but I remember a Galwegian saying that his father comes from Claddagh and not from Galway City :confused: hmmm I don't know.
    However, many people in this world wear this ring without knowing the true meaning. Meaning matters as well as the roots and the roots of freedom (told this in the literature best Irish poetry forum => 1913- Yeats)

Please, could anyone do me a favour and translate me the following into proper Gaelic ?

'Thank you very much for the Gifts of Mind.'

Thanks in advance & have fun ;)

• Advertisement

ARGINITE wrote:
    no, not better than leitrim.
    But maybe sligo.
    Ruadan wrote:
    Sligo is less isolated and inbred. :p

Aaaw guys, I recognised that most Irish people make fun of other counties calling each other rednecks or townies. The Corkies (of course, people from Cork) are not so happy that Galway is called the third largest city of Eire, hehe.

Ye're Ru, inbred isn't that healthy for proper genes :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Isabelle wrote:
    Please, could anyone do me a favour and translate me the following into proper Gaelic ?

'Thank you very much for the Gifts of Mind.'

Thanks in advance & have fun ;)

Is that gift as in "present" or gift as in "talent"? Does the phrase "gifts of mind" have some special meaning?

Míle buíochas as ucht buanna na hintleachta. = A thousand thanks for the gifts of intellect (as if you were thanking a god for bestowing them upon you but I'm not sure if that's what you meant).
    The Corkies (of course, people from Cork) are not so happy that Galway is called the third largest city of Eire

Did you know? The official name for Cork people is Corkonians. I think that's funny!

Simu: Yeah, I know it is Corkonians, hehe

Gaelic: 'Thank you very much for the gifts of mind' (you know the poetry forum) => 'gifts of mind' is an allusion to Patrick Kavanagh's 'Raglan Road'/ 3rd stanza)

I gave her gifts of the mind,
    I gave her the secret signs,
    That's known to the artists who have known
    The true gods of sound and stone.
    And her words and tint without stint
    I gave her poems to say
    With her own name there and her own dark hair
    Like clouds over fields of May.

http://www.chivalry.com/cantaria/lyrics/raglan-road.html

Oh, right, I hadn't thought of that!
    Poetry is really hard to translate!

I gave her gifts of the mind could be:

Bhronn mé mo smaointe uirthi (I gave her a gift of my thoughts - if he means he shared the fruits of his own thoughts with her).

Bhronn mé buanna na haigne uirthi. (I gave her the gifts (or abilities) of the mind - if he's saying he taught her how to think about things).

It's kind of ambiguous although I think maybe the 2nd take is better because he seems to be referring to wisdom only known to artists.

Simu: Aaaaw, go raibh míle maith agat, lass ;)

Thanks for sharing yer Gaelic wisdom. Good to know that ye're the mod of languages and Gaelic inclusive, hehe.

Bhronn mé buanna na haigne uirthi. => Please, could ye combine it with
    'Thank ye for the gifts of mind' ?

So that it is just an allusion.

Isabelle wrote:
    Simu: Aaaaw, go raibh míle maith agat, lass ;)

Thanks for sharing yer Gaelic wisdom. Good to know that ye're the mod of languages and Gaelic inclusive, hehe.

Bhronn mé buanna na haigne uirthi. => Please, could ye combine it with
    'Thank ye for the gifts of mind' ?

So that it is just an allusion.

Míle buíochas as buanna na haigne

Simu: Tack sa* mycket - Dankeschön - Dankjewel - Thanks a lot! Now I used my chance to terrorise the Galway Advertiser with a nice St Patrick's comment ;)

Galwegians: If I remember it correctly => You've just 2 internet cafes ?

Is it true that most people in Galway have no broadband, but just a 56 k modem ? [Okay, except the university freaks]

Isabelle wrote:
    Simu: Tack sa* mycket - Dankeschön - Dankjewel - Thanks a lot! Now I used my chance to terrorise the Galway Advertiser with a nice St Patrick's comment ;)

Is it true that most people in Galway have no broadband, but just a 56 k modem ? [Okay, except the university freaks]

I'm sure I've seen more than two cybercafés around the town - you shouldn't have a problem with that.

You can borrow someones username and password and use the Uni Pc's. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Isabelle wrote:

There's a good few, you just have to search for them.
    A quick list:
    Clan Netgames, Dominic St.
    [Insert name here], Bridge Mills, Millstreet
    Internet 2005 or something, Forster St. (just off eyresquare, bus-station corner)
    There's one or two along High-street

There's a fair amount of DSL in Galway City, I'm posting this from home.
    There'll be wireless and Cable BB soon enough too.
    There's also GalwayWAN, but that's more a hobbiest's network but fun if you're into that sort of thing :)

• Advertisement

Okay Simu, Ruadan and Syxer I'll d my best!

Syx Pak: Last time I had my laptop with me and yeah I could use GalwayWan at Sleepzone. Wireless is so rrright. Too bad I cannot bring all my Logitech stuffie in May, hehe

However, a Galwegian told me that the whole internet stuff is different in Eire. He said that people will use i-net when they are at university or when they are computer freaks, but in general people are too busy/not interested in it to use it that often and email every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Isabelle wrote:
    However, a Galwegian told me that the whole internet stuff is different in Eire. He said that people will use i-net when they are at university or when they are computer freaks, but in general people are too busy/not interested in it to use it that often and email every day.

That person was wrong smile.gif

The percieved usage depends on what social circles the person moves in.
    My mother uses it a bit, and a year ago she wouldn't be bothered. She found a site for house-exchanges with other european families (cheap holidays) and she started using it more and more. She even seemed mildly 'interested' in broadband being available in our village in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

near future shouldn't in eircom's vocabulary :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

SyxPak wrote:
    There's a good few, you just have to search for them.
    A quick list:
    Clan Netgames, Dominic St.
    [Insert name here], Bridge Mills, Millstreet
    Internet 2005 or something, Forster St. (just off eyresquare, bus-station corner)
    There's one or two along High-street

There's a fair amount of DSL in Galway City, I'm posting this from home.
    There'll be wireless and Cable BB soon enough too.
    There's also GalwayWAN, but that's more a hobbiest's network but fun if you're into that sort of thing :)

The netcafe in the bridge mills is called "cavenet", there are also a good few more around the place, two near the cornstor, one across from the old malt...one tiny place in Salthill (I know them all as I'm looking for a summer job :) ).

Oh and that GalwayWAN page is extremely outdated - there are alot more nodes now....and I don't think there's a free hotspot in High Street anymore, not sure though.

Syxer: Good to hear that person was wrong ;) About his 'social circle'. Well, he studied at the NUIG and has a very decent job. And he studied in Europe also. Perhaps, he is not that interested in computing or I-net in general.
    However, he told me that most Irish people will check their e-mail thrice a month or sth :eek: so at the beginning I was pretty shocked and thought no one will ever answer meee, therefore I am glad about the lovely lads & lassies that answer my questions with sheer patience ;)

Besides, I cannot live without DSL. Everbody around me is using it. Even my grands are crazy about broadboand. My grandpa uploads a PPT everyday, hehe.

Fobia: Thanks as well!

In general PHONE BOXES: Are there any good phone boxes around ? I've seen one near the Corrib Centre/ where the roundabout is/ close 2 Gort na Coiribe, but it only works with a telephone cardie. Can I buy one at the Tourist Office ?
    Any other phone boxes around ? This i-net cafe at Foster Street has a very bad connection (regarding the phone). I know they have 2 at the Sleepzone, but I dunno know whether you can use them when ye're not a guest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

most shops sell non eircom phone cards. their is also a internet cafe down beside the tourist office that do cheap phone calls or at least thats whats on the window its called e2000 or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

if I remember correctly there's a shop on highstreet ? .. the street between quay street and shopstreet ... and they have phones in their and their own call rates and stuff ....

failing that I recommend swiftcall .. or one of them and get in contact with someone who's got their own phoneline ... it works out pretty cheap to use them for international calls ...

as for internet access ... I've only gotten internet from home in the last 6 months or so ... ireland does suck ... more precisely the phone companies monopoly sucks ... please note before this I refused to use dial up internet access ... knowing that it would drive me up the ****ing wall ...

NTL / cable are meant to be rolling out cable dsl at the moment around galway at least thats what one of their reps said when he called to our company but I've yet to see the results of his talk ...

Hejsan lads !

Thanks for the info about the phoning and I-surfing stuffie :)
    I appreciate it very much!

rkm wrote:
    Nope Claddagh is in Galway city.
    Quite a nice area with swans by the sea.
    And of course the claddagh ring:
    http://www.galway1.ie/faq/claddagh.htm

I find the Claddagh region quite interesting, but like I said before there is different information and it appears to be rather ambiguous. The info of some websites state that it is an independent village and does not belong to Galway City, others say it belongs to the heart of Galway city and there are even some people that say it is just a suburb. Most people have no clear definition of it. However I like the idea of fresh water and swans and

‘If you ever go across the sea to Ireland
    It may at the closing of your day
    You may sit and watch the moon rise over Claddagh
    And watch the Sun go down on Galway Bay.’

;)http://homepage.eircom.net/~claddaghns/oldcladdagh.htm

Claddagh was an old fishing village. The Irish word for Claddagh is An Cladach, which means the stoney beach, an area of the western shoreline in the estuary of the River Corrib. The people of the Claddagh lived quite separate from the town of Galway. They made their living mainly from fishing. Once the fish were caught the women took over and started selling them in the fish market. The Claddagh had its own customs and laws. It had its own king. It is famous all over the world for its Claddagh Ring. Things began to change when the big trawlers started to fish in Galway Bay. The boats of the local people, the Hooker, Gleoteóg and Pucán could not compete with them. When the big ships of the British navy arrived with their gunaí móra (big guns) in the bay, a lot of young men of the Claddagh joined up.

;)http://pagebiz.com/claddagh/
    Claddagh refers to a tiny village of fishermen near Galway city.

Galway Irish Crystal Heritage Centre

The Claddagh Village Exhibit: The Claddagh Village, once outside the original city walls, remains firmly in the heart of Galway.

Interesting info of sights and more to share with Galway fans & friends
    ‘The old Claddagh village has since disappeared’

;)http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/ireland/galway2.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Isabelle wrote:
    I find the Claddagh region quite interesting, but like I said before there is different information and it appears to be rather ambiguous. The info of some websites state that it is an independent village and does not belong to Galway City, others say it belongs to the heart of Galway city and there are even some people that say it is just a suburb.
    It may have been considered outside Galway at one time like Salthill.
    Fadò fadò.
    But now its in the heart of Galway as its just a couple of minutes walk from Eyre Square.

Maybe theres another Claddagh under Galway bay like Atlantis confused.gif

Advertisement