Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disk Boot Failure... HELP!!!.

Options
  • 26-02-2005 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I just bought my first comp to build myself. I have it built now and it switches on but it keeps sayin "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT DISK AND PRESS ENTER" so i stick in the cd i got with my motherboard and press enter and then it just says "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT DISK AND PRESS ENTER" once again. Can anyone help me because its drivin me mad.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

its the settings in the Bios. Make sure it is set to boot up on your CD first then insert your windows CD to install it onto your hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GraveRobber

Tried that there and still says "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT DISK AND PRESS ENTER". Any more advice?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well it sounds as if there is nothing on your hard drive so when you boot up by disk it is generally to load your Operating System onto the Hard Drive. What parts have you put into it????

What do you mean by parts?
    I have stuck nothing on the harddrive if thats what you mean.

What motherboard,ram,hard drive, processor, case, floppy drive etc have you used to build it.

• Advertisement

Oh sorry.

Q-Tec Midi tower ATX 6024MD, Black Pro Line, w/350W

Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz Boxed PC800 Socket PGA478, 1MB cache, Prescott

MSI PT8 NEO-V Mainboard for S478/800 VIA PT800,SATA,ATX,DDR,Sound,LAN

TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL2.5 Memory184-P (for DDR-PC400MHz)

Western Digital Caviar 160GB IDE ATA/100 8MB cache 7200RPM

Sapphire Radeon 9600PRO Advantage 128MB AGP, ATI9600PRO, DVI-I, TV-Out, Full-Retail

NEC DVD recorder ND-3520A IDE Black Bulk (Dual Layer)

all these from komplett I take it????? it has to do with your bios. in the bios options reset to setting to Fail Safe Settings and it will work as far as I know. Let me know what happens.

Nope still no joy.

All from komplett - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=301151&cks=SPK

Any other ideas?
    Do you think I could have wired something wrong?

By the way thank you for replyin so quick.

No probs. You might have the settings on the back of the CD Drive and Hard Drive wrong. I.e. Slave and Master. Set them both to CS (Cable Select) and see if that helps out.

Erm... Im a bit of a novice so im not too shure about this stuff, but I think there both on CS. (The jumper is on the right side of both the hard drive and the dvd/rw drive). I only have one power cable and one 40 pin cable in the dvd/rw and one power cable and one 40 pin cable in the harddrive, could that have something to do with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭kmb

You have no windows on it,you must have something for it to boot from.

Have you loaded windows yet?

regards kieran

Ive put in the windows xp disk and it still says disk boot failure.
    Any other ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Are your HDD and CD-ROM appearing as detected in the BIOS?

Are you using one IDE cable or two? If one, which device is connected as primary? If two, are they both connected as primary?

As for Cable Select - each device should have the settings documented on a sticker on the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Your Optical Drive and your HD should not be on the same IDE cable.

Using your IDE Cables connect your HD to the connector on the cable marked master, and the connector marked motherboard to your motherboard IDE slot one.

Do the same with another IDE cable, but this time connect the Master connector to your DVD Drive, and the Mptherboard connector to IDE slot two on your motherboard.

In the Bios set your boot priority as follows:

Boot 1: CD Drive
    Boot 2: Disabled
    Boot 3: Disabled

This will give your comp no option but to boot from CD

When you turn it on it may come up with

Boot from CD
    Press any key to Boot from CD

Obviously press any key. You should have your Windows disk in the CD Drive. It should then boot into a screen asking among other options if you would like to do a New Install of windows.

Inqui

It says it is booting from the cd drive but it still says boot failure as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Do you have your drives connected as I suggested?

Does each ide cable have 3 connectors? and have youn connected them correctly?

In the Bios it should say

IDE 1
    Hard disk blah blah

IDE 2
    DVD Rewriter blah balh

I have 1 ide connecting the harddrive to the motherboard and 1 ide cable connecting the cd drive to the motherboard ide port 2. I also have 1 power supply cable connected to the hard drive and 1 to the cd drive.

you might have the wrong one in the harddrive.Try the other ide connector on the same ribbon.I think the black one goes as master in harddrive.

Also when u turn on machine press pause button when detecting and tell us what u see.

regds kieran

I have the ide connected to the harddrive the right way because the middle 1 is grey and i think thats only for a slave harddrive.

this is what i see.

07/29/2004 for SiS661 Chipset

Memory type : DDR400 @ 200MHz
    Primary Master : WDC WD1600JB-00GVA0 08.02D08
    Primary Slave : None
    Secondary Master : _NEC DVD_RW ND-3520A 1.04
    Secondary Slave : None

Any ideas?

perfect so everything is connected right.

Now have you tried in bios boot priorty should be:cdrom/hdd/floppy.

now when it says booting from cd press enter or a button and it should work.

if notlet us know.

Whereabouts are you based?

regds kieran

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭dunco

hi

if you only have a dvd burner and no other cd drive set the jumper on your dvd drive to slave on ide2

in the bios it shoud look like this

Memory type : DDR400 @ 200MHz
    Primary Master : WDC WD1600JB-00GVA0 08.02D08
    Primary Slave : None
    Secondary Master : None
    Secondary Slave : _NEC DVD_RW ND-3520A 1.04

no dont.writers according to manuals work better when on master

regards kieran

hi

for me dvd burners do not work when set to master and i have only 1 drive on ide2

you probably have the wrong ide in the dvd writer ,dunco.

set to master and use the other connector.

regards kieran

hi
    it works at max speed all the time

if it works dont fix

Finially got through to komplett(after waitin on da phone for an hour)... im just gona send the whole thing into them and get them to test everything... something must be faulty with it. Gona cost a bit tho to send it with an post. :mad: cnt c wht i shoul pay if they supplied faulty goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

There is one possibilty which seems to have slipped everyone's mind here:
    What if the Windows XP cd that Graverobber is using is not bootable? From the sounds of things you have got the system assembled correctly so I'd say try getting a loan of a known bootable cd before you consider doing something as drastic as sending the whole lot back to Komplett.

Tried that, got a loan of my mates cd... went up to komplett 2day to bring back the stuff for testing... there address dont really exist, alls i got was gls delivery. There was a sign there but no company. I went into gls and they seem as baffled as I was. They said they would take it from me and look into it for me if i wanted but i said no because they couldnt give me a receipt. I guess I will have to go to sds and get them to give it to them because its the only way i can get a receipt. Weird eh... wouldnt recommend komplett in future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement