Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCDSU presidential election

Options
  • 26-02-2005 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Joanne Doherty is getting my vote, she is an honest hardworking class rep. James Carroll in my opinion is a careerist. Much of what he is promising on his manifesto this year, is what was on his education one last year. Paddy`s poster and manifesto is Dire.

who are you voting for in this years this presidential elections 25 votes

Joanne Doherty
    0% 0 votes
    James Carroll
    48% 12 votes
    Paddy Carroll
    36% 9 votes
    R.O.N.
    16% 4 votes

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Joanne is good looking whereas the other two are "forum bar"-merchants and hence annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

This is a lame reason, but I really want to see a female president get in. She's got the thumbs up from my politically-minded friends, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Vote for James Carroll.He is the only one who is making a serious effort to stop current plans to close half of the restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

He also said that he would extend library opening hours, he was on the library committee this year, and little progress has been made.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

To be honest none of them are any good, and from seeing Fungus Hourihane followed by Mr. Scully, no SU president has really done anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

James Carroll all the way!
    I have my reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Joanne Doherty, because she's the only one who actually bothered to come over to engineering to try to talk to us :) (the others were probably put off by the fact that our lecturers really dont like interuptions to their class, and don't have anytime whatsoever for student politics!) I reckon that if she can talk one of our professors into giving up 5 minutes of his class to let her talk to us then she has to be a damn good negotiator at any rate! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

paddy all the way, he seemed like an ordinary chap with no links to the ****ing SU or B+L. and i liked the speech he gave in my arch. lecture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

ferdi wrote:
    paddy all the way, he seemed like an ordinary chap with no links to the ****ing SU or B+L. and i liked the speech he gave in my arch. lecture.

yea, a non-hack would be nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Intel

I'm voting for James Carroll.

He says that he'll provide a bus that will run a few times between town and belfield in the wee hours and it will only cost 2 euro a head.
    Considering theres 5,000 ppl living in and around the campus that could benifit a lot of people and should take a lot of effort to implement.
    It's the small things that make a difference, in my opinion.

plus he's the only one who bothered to turn up in a science lecture hall to tell us about his policies :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

James Carroll's brochure makes him out to be great, I like alot of his ideas.

But he put a section of it in Irish which turned me against him. So not sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I'm goin for Paddy. The anti-hack. Be nice to see what he does, and how he'll do it, ya know?

He's an honest guy, which probably he's biggest weakness compared to his 2 competitors, to be honest - that and inexperience :rolleyes:

But he will work hard, and try to do the best he can.

TBH, it's not like it makes much f**king difference who wins, we'll still be talkin bout the same old sh*t a year from now! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There was a section in the Observer where they surveyed all the presidential candidates on certain issues. Paddy Carroll seems to be very conservative in his views (opposite to me...), James Carroll just seems to be a hack. Yuck. Joanne Doherty came up to me and my friends canvassing, she kinda seems to be full of hot air.
    I'm seriously thinking RON this year.

James Carroll isn't a hack.He's the only one who will take a stand for the students.The others are more interested in their egos.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Speaking as a former sabbat candiddate I say vote for R.O.N the candidate's candidate!

And I found that campaigning in Eng pays off. I did that when I ran and even though I got heckled doing it I got 80% of the vote there :) thanks guys, pity I lost out over all

Speaking as a former sabbat candiddate I say vote for R.O.N the candidate's candidate!

And I found that campaigning in Eng pays off. I did that when I ran and even though I got heckled doing it I got 80% of the vote there :) thanks guys, pity I lost out over all

Who is R.O.N.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Cecilia

R.O.N stands for Re Open Nominations. In all elections where there are any nominations, ballot papers shall include as an option the statement "re-open nominations". This box/option shall be treated as a candidate. If the "re-open nominations" candidate is elected, the Returning Officer shall declare the vacancy unfilled and will re-open nomniatons for other people to put their candidacy forward for the position. The elections would then be held again. Seldom does RON ever win an election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

I'll probably vote for R.O.N if I bother-none of the candidates have anything in their manifestos that appeal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

But he put a section of it in Irish which turned me against him. So not sure

Yeah, that Irish section was the most butchered piece of directly translated crap ive ever read. Paddy Carroll seems the best candidate IMHO, although he could have designed a better poster. Joanne Doherty didnt bother herself to come to Earlsfort Terrace so she ain't getting my vote.

Anyone know who got elected and to what position?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

A text from my friend who was at the counting says: "James Carroll looks to have got president, Curran deputy, Jones education, Hayden welfare, Kelly ents." That wasn't 100% confirmed when he sent it though. Practically nobody I voted for got in :( poxy democracy

Carroll won?Great!So the fact I didn't vote,didn't matter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

rain on wrote:
    A text from my friend who was at the counting says: "James Carroll looks to have got president, Curran deputy, Jones education, Hayden welfare, Kelly ents." That wasn't 100% confirmed when he sent it though. Practically nobody I voted for got in :( poxy democracy

Well it looks like the Right have stole the show. Only one person who I voted for actually got into office and that was Mr. Hayden and he didn't exactly have the greatest competition on the world did he.

I thought it would be close between Carroll and Doherty for the grand prize. I personally feel the only reason James Carroll will win is because he has been education officer this year but honestly what has he done as education officer? I personally haven't seen much. The students needed a voice over the Modularisation and Semesterisation issue and he hasn't done this. What about the rising registration fees? What campaigns have there been? What about the cronic shortage of books in the library? Not radical enough IMO.

His manifesto seemed a bit bland IMO. His main agenda is Food On Campus. OK this is important but I personally feel Joannes manifesto is more in touch and important to the regular student. Her campaign is more focused in getting the Union in touch with the students and campaging which is drastically important. Carroll seems to be too conservative and the Union needs someone more radical like Joanne.

I honestly can't believe Kelly will win Ents. His manifesto is the biggest load of bullsh*t I've read in a while. I was talking to an old-skool buddy of mine yesterday and he was voting for Kelly because of the ''6 Balls''. I honestly can't belive people will fall for that. If Anthony Kelly delivers these six balls and the ''3 euro pints'' I will do whatever forfeit any of you wish to nominate me for and all you can hold me to that.

The other elections IMO there is nothing between the candidates really but I had my reasons for nominating Smyth and Duffy but those results don't really bother me.

James Carroll got President. He got c.1900 votes as far as I know. Anthony Kelly got Ents, Jane Horgan-Jones got Education, Dave Curran got Dep. Pres and Dan Hayden got Welfare. Curran won by about 200 votes I hear.

Only guys got in.Well,that's a relief.Could you imagine having a woman looking out for us? :D

*runs for cover*

Jane Horgan-Jones got Education Vice-President. She's a woman. (as far as I know ;) )

Cecilia wrote:
    Jane Horgan-Jones got Education Vice-President. She's a woman. (as far as I know ;) )

Well that's not a big deal.The guys obviously need someone to bring them tea and biscuits. *runs for cover again*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Only guys got in.Well,that's a relief.Could you imagine having a woman looking out for us? :D

*runs for cover*

Do you know something about Miss Horgan Jones that we don't know?

edit: ********

Oooooh I love potential scandal :D Someone please slap me across the face for been a bitching bastard.

*slap*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement