Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unionists support Ireland

Options
  • 26-02-2005 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Tomorrow (Sun) thousands of Unionists in the North will be supporting the men of Leinster and Munster in their Lansdowne Rd battle against the English. Personally, I shall watch the match on TV , passionately supporting the men in green with the shamrock on their shirts.
    On Monday morning , however, the majority of these people will be looking to Trimble and Paisley for their inspiration.
    My person opinion is that a large percentage of the Protestant middle class would be sympathetic to discussion on a UI but are are afraid/antagonistic to SF/IRA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I'm not sure what your point is exactly?

There are Protestant players on the Irish team who were born and raised in the republic.

Supporting a united Ireland rugby team is not the same as supporting a united Ireland in economic or legislative terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The Irish rugby team merely represents the people of the island of Ireland rather than a specific political entity. To say that Protestants playing rugby for Ireland means that they're 'coming' about to the idea of a united Ireland is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

They may call themselves unionists, but although it is very contradictory, the last thing they want to do is unite their country. Anyway, tomorrow is a day for sport, not politics.
    Come on Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

emmm.....where do i start....actually i'm to drunk to explain this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Roisin Dubh

majorharry wrote:
    Tomorrow (Sun) thousands of Unionists in the North will be supporting the men of Leinster and Munster in their Lansdowne Rd battle against the English. Personally, I shall watch the match on TV , passionately supporting the men in green with the shamrock on their shirts.
    On Monday morning , however, the majority of these people will be looking to Trimble and Paisley for their inspiration.
    My person opinion is that a large percentage of the Protestant middle class would be sympathetic to discussion on a UI but are are afraid/antagonistic to SF/IRA.

I think you are very wrong. I saw a programme I think a few years ago where one NI Catholic and one NI Protestant were questioned about their identity. The Catholic said she saw herself as Irish, while the Protestant said he feels Irish when Ireland are playing rugby, but otherwise feels only British.

The Unionists only support the Ireland team because there isn't a "Northern Ireland" team.

• Advertisement

Indeed some Protestants would be happy to look at the idea of a united Ireland, but then again many Catholics are happy as things are.

But as I said, tomorrow it's a case of "Come on Ireland!"partywave.gifclap2.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The Irish Rugby team were founded when Dublin was the second city of the British Empire, weren't they? I can see how either of the two main opinions as to the governance of Northern Ireland could be reconciled with supporting them.

Me, I only watch the NZ matches, and only for the haka.

I remember Armagh winning something (don't know what sport and what level the accomplishment was at, never can remember those things) and a UUP councillor was asked how he felt. He said he was quite happy that Armagh had won, and delighted to see lots of orange flags everywhere. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OMG Nationalists supporting a foreign sport! :rolleyes:

That was probably the 2002 All-Ireland Final, their first and only win. I was at it and it was a great match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

this tread is a load of dribble. There is no real point being made.

Anyway, COME ON IRLANDA !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 majorharry

he Protestant said he feels Irish when Ireland are playing rugby,

Where else does the Northern Protestant feel Irish?
    Only in Rugby and possibly in some traditional music.

The working class Ulsterman 's interest is in British TV and the English premier league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 majorharry

[QUOTE=Roisin Dubh

"The Protestant said he feels Irish when Ireland are playing rugby"

Where else does the Northern Protestant feel Irish?
    Only in Rugby and possibly in traditional music.

The working class Ulsterman 's interest is in British TV and the English premier league .

There is , in spite of the DUP success, a large pool of Ulster middle class protestants who see UI, as the way forward.
    In their eyes, the problem is IRA/Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

majorharry wrote:
    Tomorrow (Sun) thousands of Unionists in the North will be supporting the men of Leinster and Munster in their Lansdowne Rd battle against the English.

What happened to Connaught and Ulster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

How about you try and make a contribution instead of a pathetic attempt at trolling, all additional posts deleted - Gandalf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

apart from the fact that rugby is a tossers sport( in dublin at least)

most unionist would be happy if their was a united Ireland as long as it was united within the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

majorharry wrote:

there are hardcore nationalists who will bash unionism on monday and will be seen on tuesday queuing up to buy their english football jerseys and handing over their hard earned cash every month for premiership football matches to a brittish company (sky) every month

doesnt change a thing to be honest. republicans will still be republicans and unionists will still be unionists. and it wont take football rugby or syncfhronised swimming to change that.

All the Irish are happy now!

jump.gifparty-smiley-047.gifjump.gif

cdebru wrote:
    apart from the fact that rugby is a tossers sport( in dublin at least)
    That's really constructive cdebru

You've labelled me a tosser without ever having met me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Amz wrote:

armchair republicanism is more fun for these people.

Amz wrote:

I'm sure in time and with the help of those close to you
    you will get over it

• Advertisement

armchair republicanism is more fun for these people.

i actually dont own an armchair but i dont know what that has to do with anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote:

so what

players mostly but a lot of the supporters as well( in my experience in Dublin)

dont know who plays it in munster but i believe it is not as much of a tossers sport there

You've yet to explain why you have this belief?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Eh, what about the olympics?

daveirl wrote:

thats who plays it and in my dealings with them they are tossers

So you've met every single rugby player in Dublin ... Wow! That's some achievment.

did i say i had met every last one i said in my experience that means everyone i have met is a tosser or at least i can not remember one who was not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

well while we are making wild off topic generalisations....i think every post made by cdebru on this thread, marks him out as a complete generaliser.....at least i can back up my wild generalisation....i think! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement