Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gatso got me at 70mph. How fooked am i?

Options
  • 27-02-2005 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

Gateo flashed me at about 70mph -ish whilst overtaking on a national road, with its new 50mph limit.

Am i completely fooked now. Im on my 1st insurance policy in my own name, on a provisional. I cant believe my retardedness. Will this be only 2 penalty points or more??? Im insured with Quinn direct, will it put my renewal up by much? I hope to have a fiull licence by then anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Gateo flashed me at about 70mph -ish whilst overtaking on a national road, with its new 50mph limit.

Am i completely fooked now. Im on my 1st insurance policy in my own name, on a provisional. I cant believe my retardedness. Will this be only 2 penalty points or more??? Im insured with Quinn direct, will it put my renewal up by much? I hope to have a fiull licence by then anyway.

only 2 points shouldnt affect insurance. that gatso may not have even had film in it-wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

238_0.jpg

Cough.... ehem.... check this out...

Click here

Crazy Japs, they think of everything! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

you really are a moron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

D!ve^Bomb! wrote:
    you really are a moron

Oh little D!ve^Bomb! Are you really this sad and pathetic?
    Are you going to troll every fcuking post I make? :D

Fcuk off please.
    -gav

AlienGav wrote:
    Oh little D!ve^Bomb! Are you really this sad and pathetic?
    Are you going to troll every fcuking post I make? :D

Fcuk off please.
    -gav
    you're doing that just fine by yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

a well he did give you what looks like a good solution to your problom for future reference .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭30-6shooter

How long should it take to come in the post, if i did get caught.
    Once the gatso flashes,,, does that not mean there is film in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

They flash regardless of whether theres film in them or not AFAIK.

How long should it take to come in the post, if i did get caught.
    Once the gatso flashes,,, does that not mean there is film in it?
    you're probably gonna loose your licence and get a fine that you'll be payin off for the rest of your life.. jail time would be much better imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Shing

- Two Penalty Points
    - Around €80 Speeding Fine

As said before, this is provided that your photograph was taken. As for the insurance, it's really down to the policy of the insurance company with regards to the penalty points.

Regards,
    Wai Shing

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice lads.
    Should i know within 2 weeks whether i got caught or not?

I heard that all the details are sent out at the end of each month. But I can't be certain. So depending on when/if you photo was taken, it could be over the next few days or at the end of March.

Regards,
    Wai Shing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Isn't 20mph over the limit counted as dangerous driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

AlienGav wrote:
    238_0.jpg

Cough.... ehem.... check this out...

Click here

Crazy Japs, they think of everything! :D

'tis a pity the gatsos take a picture of the rear number plate.

Is it the rear plate they take the pic of for definite???
    How clean would the plate have to be for them to be able to read it? Mine was a tad dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

What speed were you traveling at before you began the overtaking procedure: ie: what speed was the car in front going at?

Hey, I was stuch behind 3 cars. The car in front was doing about 40 and causing a tailbk. As usual in this country, the car behind the slow lad wouldnt overtake. So i had to overtake the 3 of them in 1 go. I was doing 35-40 before i began to overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

From another thread I was informed it's ok to break the limit if you are overtaking :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

your misinformed

Perhaps each of the three drivers knew that there was a GATSO in the vicinity. And that's why they were at 40 mph. Can't really blame them now, can you?

Overtaking is definitely not an excuse for going over the speed limit. At most, I think it's arguable to be over the speed limit by 5%. In a 50 mph zone, that's 52.5 mph.

There's really no way to appeal. Just accept the penalty and learn from your mistake. You never know, you might get away with the penalty.

Regards,
    Wai Shing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

D!ve^Bomb! wrote:
    you're probably gonna loose your licence and get a fine that you'll be payin off for the rest of your life.. jail time would be much better imo
    If you have nothing constructive to say then please stay quiet.

Ok so the car in front was doing about 10mph under limit (I'll stick with imperial limits for this thread!) and was therefore obstructing the flow of traffic. Now AFAIK, the ROTR book says that maximum amount of cars you may overtake in one go is 3, provided it is safe to do so (correct me if I am wrong). Now I'm assuming the the overtaking procedure went through without a hitch (ie; no oncoming cars having to swerve to avoid you or anything like that). The ROTR also states that an overtaking procedure should be made as quickly as possible. This leads to a grey area. If 30-6shooter were to increase his speed from 40 - 50 to overtake a car, it will take some time to do so and it does not appear to a particularly safe thing to do. But then this is where the grey area in the ROTR comes in. Whilst it does not directly say that you can travel above the speed limit in order to overtake, it does say that you should complete the manouver as quickly as possible. This can easily be interpreted as signal, accelerate and begin to overtake. In order to complete the overtake quickly, you must travel above the speed limit or else you could spend far too long on the wrong side of the road. If it was completely illegal to go 1mph over the limit whilst overtaking, then 1 car traveling 10 mph under the limit could literally cause a tailback miles long and after a while, actually slow down the economy of the country (ever so slightly) due to late deliveries, etc. When you get the photo, tell us what the pic looks like? If it shows the slow moving car traveling along with a huge line of traffic behind it and you on the "wrong" side of the road, could you argue that is is obvious that you are in the middle of an overtaking manouver and that accounts for your high speed. Although personally, I think needing to accelarate to 30mph more than the car in front does appear a bit unneccessary, unless of course you knew there was traffic approaching from the opposie direction and you just floored it hoping to get past in time - Not accusing you of this. Just thinking of different scenarios. I myself wouldn't leave myself in a situation whereby I need to have my speed 30mph higher than the car in front in order to overtake it a car. The only reason I can see for this unneccessary amount of accelaration is that there was oncoming traffic approaching and you were trying to get passed as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Shing wrote:
    Perhaps each of the three drivers knew that there was a GATSO in the vicinity. And that's why they were at 40 mph. Can't really blame them now, can you?
    That's typical Irish behaviour too ... see a police car in the distance? Slow down to at least 10mph below the legal speed limit "just in case". All they had to do was stick to the actual speed limit which in this case was 80km/h (~50mph). I've seen people slam on the anchors from 100km/h down to about 80km/h on the N11 because they saw a police car on the other side of the carriageway!

I dont mind paying the E80 fine,, and ill make sure i dont get any more points, so the 2 points wont be too bad.

But is there a case of dangerous driving here too??? As some1 mentioned, which im more concerned about.

That's typical Irish behaviour too ... see a police car in the distance?
    I really hate that too. The amount of people driving northbound on the M50 who literally (well not really literally!!!) drop anchor when they get to the speed camera towards the end of the M50, even though it's still a 120Km/H speed limit at this point. And to make it evn worse, the majority of the cars are already traveling UNDER the limit before they decide to slam on the brakes and drop down to, oh maybe 80KM/H :mad:
    Still, 30-6shooter, let us know how you get on with your ticket, if you even get one that is!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There will be no Dangerous Driving charge. The burden of proof is too high to be proven from a single photograph.

For a DD charge they must witness you driving dangerously, this requires a Garda witness to actaully stop you.

I would not worry. A friend got a ticket for 61mph in a 40 and it was the standard €80 fine.

I bet there wasn't even film in the camera!!! The chances are that there wasn't anyway! As a matter of interest, where did this happen? Can't remember a location being mentioned.
    Going off-line for a while now so I'll read the reply in an a few hours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Yeah i said it about the DD. By the sounds of it you were lucky, over taking 3 cars at 70mph in a 50mph, they probably could have pulled you for DD. But it probably sounds alot worse written down then it was in real life. Had you L plates up BTW?

I had just pulled in i think when the camera went off (or was pulling in),, so i doubt they`d see the other cars. At most they might see one i reckon.

I have L plates up, but my bk window is tinted and u can barley see the back one.

Ps: it was practically a straight stretch of road. Camera is located before Balbriggin. Its before the turn off i have to make in order to head for Balbriggin.(if i drove straight on i`d be heading onto the motorway or dual carraigeway i believe).

• Advertisement

put it this way..overtaking 3 cars??? get real man.. there was absolutely no reason for you to do that.. you got what you deserved... think next time

Advertisement