Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formal complaint!

Options
  • 27-02-2005 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I would agree with this, II mean the option to soft-delete posts nowadays makes the recycle bin obsolete anyway.

plus links to spam merchants are still being picked up by search engine bots giving these shisters their prominent listing on search engines, thanks to our trash can.

one other option could be to disable links in the bin or block words beginning with http:// in the recycle bin the same way you are able to turn off img tags.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I have thought of this in the past, but it can be an incredible pain in the nuts for a moderator to do it. I have done something like this in the past but not manually. It could potentially be scripted in a CGI, but if users get banned and their posts pruned or binned then they tend not to come back too often so perhaps they don't get enough return on their effort to continue with it. At any rate, while I agree completely that they should get as little benefit as possible from their spammage, the main priority is to ensure that it doesn't affect normal boards users.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Could an automated way add a tag line like:
    SUSPECT , Posible spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.
    So they'll get a negative rep in search engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I usually replace the url with something like www.usertoostupid.com or something. After making sure it doesn't exist first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

amp wrote:
    I usually replace the url with something like www.usertoostupid.com or something. After making sure it doesn't exist first.

:(.... why did I click that...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

steveland? wrote:
    :... why did I click that...........
    It's in the URL.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

seamus wrote:
    It's in the URL.
    hehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Am I the only one seeing icon3.gif everywhere in Mercury_Tilt's post ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I saw 'em too, I thought they were meant to be there.

*shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Am I the only one seeing icon3.gif everywhere in Mercury_Tilt's post ?
    RTFM NOOB :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

ecksor wrote:
    I have thought of this in the past, but it can be an incredible pain in the nuts for a moderator to do it. I have done something like this in the past but not manually. It could potentially be scripted in a CGI, but if users get banned and their posts pruned or binned then they tend not to come back too often so perhaps they don't get enough return on their effort to continue with it. At any rate, while I agree completely that they should get as little benefit as possible from their spammage, the main priority is to ensure that it doesn't affect normal boards users.
    Is there any way to prevent Google etc. from crawling the Recycle Bin?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Perhaps, although probably not in an easy manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

You could perhaps use robot metatags in the head of every page generated under the recycle bin... not sure how much of a pain in the gee that'd be for vB though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I preffered the bulb.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

lips.giflips.giflips.gif

Some of the bulbs have sprouted into two-lips.

Advertisement