Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall Support

• 27-02-2005 4:26pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Possibly in 2006 will be putting on an extension onto the back and side of the house - 3 bedroom semi- with separate garage at the side to be removed.

Want to make one big room from the existing kitchen/dining room with the new extension onto the back of the house.
    And want to remove the support that is there between the two windows at present to make it one large open plan room.

I know that an RSJ I beam will need to be fitted across the 21-22 foot span at the back of the house and I will get the correct loadings from the arch/eng closer to the time.

What I want to know is --- what would be the general size of an I beam to take the weight of the second floor - 21-22 foot long.
    I just want to price them generally etc.

thx

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Well Karl,
    Still waiting for someone to pop in to see you. Mad sn't it , your on an engineering forum and can,t get an engineering query answered. :):D

Come on home to the woodworkers Karl, we will get someone to help you there, why not stick in a glulam beam....good old timber.. :D

Wood workers are a friendlier bunch any way :rolleyes:

Don't forget to turn the light off when you leave.

Rooferpete might be worth a try. Put out an APB for him, you could be lucky.

kadman :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Well Karl, at this rate its a good thing your not starting until 2006. ;)

I think you,ll get the size details here, worth a try any way.http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=191510

kadman :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

You will need at least a 203UC71KG. It works out about €55 a meter.
    You will have to get a flat welded to the top of that to carry a leaf of blocks. will work out at about €9 per meter for the flat.
    Also will need two support cols either end of the beam, could make them out of the 203UC as well.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

thank you thank you thank you

A reply at last.

Like I said in the question - it is only for my own planning now and will get an engineer to give me the figures closer to the time but

Thank you for the reply.

You are the only person on this board that knows or wasn't afraid to help !!

Thx

appreciate it. :D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement