Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Fox hnting be banned in Ireland?

• 27-02-2005 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

With the ban implemented only a few days ago in britain, what is the consensous here about a ban in Ireland? Should the government follow the lead of the brits? And please no sappy, its cruel arguments, only proper well founded arguments please! :D:D

Should Fox hunting be banned in Ireland? 14 votes

Yeas it should be
    0% 0 votes
    No it shouldn't
    100% 14 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I don`t think it should be banned in Ireland, I dont think we should follow the lead of the Brits just because they have done it.
    If we followed them then all forms of hunting with dogs would be banned. It is a very badly thought out ban certainly not about animal welfare, it only "protects" certain animals, you can still hunt rabbits with dogs but not hares,stags or foxes.Personally I think Blair did it to curry favour due to Iraq, and he knows hes made a mistake and pissed off a lot of people. There is a lot of loop holes in this ban and to be frank for many reasons it is pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Agreed. If foxhunting were to be banned over here, I would certainly hope they would not follow the british example, which is shoddy and pointless. I think Blair just did it to look good in front of the "Townies" (whatever that means), which is a sh**ty reason to do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

TBH, all those pr4ts who dress up for fox hunting should be banned. Making the killing of an animal a hobby is discusting.

I voted no. Why? Because fox funting with dogs is the only way to catch them. I'd like to see someone run and catch a fox, without a dog. Also, in the more rural parts, they need to keep the fox population down, to protect their hens, or other lifestock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

While I agree that anyone who shoots/kills an animal for sport is a w*nker, I don't agree with your comment about the clothes. I am against fox hunting, but I wear those clothes when I go showjumping or draghunting (where a false scent is used and no animal is killed, so the thrill is purely the chase of a packet of sausages).. does that make me a prat? They're the same damn clothes, except I wear navy jackets as opposed to red ones. It's just an outfit ffs, it doesn't automatically grant you the status of bloodthirsty-snobby-rich-toffs who have nothing better to do than laugh at poor people and kill foxes.

The quickest and least painful way to kill a fox is to shoot it, IF you have a good shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

yep, hunting foxes for sport is no different to cock-fighting or dog-fighting, and who'd condone those??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Shouldn't be banned. I'm in favour of fox hunting. Have hunted many times in the past but not for a few years now. Younger brother(11) and sister(15) went hunting a few times during the winter. I support it.

Its a great day out ;):p

Have mentioned my views on this before on different threads. Discussed a few times before on other boards including this one. Might find links for the later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Fox hunting and cock or dog fighting arent the same. Fox hunting the fox has a good chance of escape and if it gets caught it is dead in a few seconds. While dog and cock fighting have no real means of escape and beat the crap out of each other until death or they are seperated.

I prefer to be caught by hounds rather than shot and linger in pain before dying, fox hunting is much more reliable than shooting unless you have an extremely good shot.

Advertisement