Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo finally get it right

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

And who buys a console for EA games

Quite a few, just ask Sega.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭mar|<

that mario ad is the worst i have ever seen! alot like the wind waker ad... the DS ads i have seen are all great though. any idea when the DS ads will start airing here?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Brock wrote:
    nintendo are puttin alot more effort into europe this time around as the big bash in paris showed the other wee.As for games on launch over psp,according to market analyists the psp is selling each unit at several hundred dollars/euro loss this is the reason why they have so many low quality rushed out games on release as they have to make this money back asap,but the psp also has another problem and that is it is gettin thrown identical games that are on psp and according to don mattrick president of EA they say" we will be offering excact same degree of support for ps2 as psp".with having to make all this money back from software u would expect sony to release it at 200 instead of 250 as if games are 50 euro each they face a uphill struggle kinda like that of dreamcast and we know where that went.

Just so you know, not a single company around makes profit on the consoles they sell. It is all about the software they sell for them. Sony "having to make all the money back asap". Man do not make me laugh.

thus making the rest of your post and this in particular completely void:
    s for games on launch over psp,according to market analyists the psp is selling each unit at several hundred dollars/euro loss this is the reason why they have so many low quality rushed out games on release as they have to make this money back asap,but the psp also has another problem and that is it is gettin thrown identical games that are on psp

I assume you meant to say that the psp is getting identical games to that of the ps2 instead of psp cos that would make **** all sense too...? In response to that, why is that a bad thing? It is not. It is what people want.

Cheesedude: Sony are taking such a hit on the PSP, and the licensing for software, that they need PSP owners to buy an average of 25 games to make a profit.

Microsoft make a huge loss on the XBox, but then they're building a brand.

Nintendo make an insignificant loss (and indeed may be making a profit on the GameCube, as they were on the N64 at this point of its lifetime) on their hardware, and charge a much higher rate for software licensing than Sony and Microsoft.

On your second point, that it is not a bad thing that the PSP is receiving ports/minor updates of PS2 games, I'd disagree. There is a huge distinction between the type of game that will be entertaining sitting on your sofa at home for a few hours and the type of game that you can pick up and dive into for 5 or 10 minutes on the bus, or queuing for tickets or whatever. Handhelds need games like Tetris and Warioware far more than they need Final Fantasy and GTA. This lazy porting of games (and it's not exclusively a PSP problem) isn't going to produce many games that'll be worth playing on the PSP, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

excellent point ! i dont wanna play something complex like metal gear solid for 5 minutes while on bus !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Cheesedude: Sony are taking such a hit on the PSP, and the licensing for software, that they need PSP owners to buy an average of 25 games to make a profit.

Hey that is pretty interesting, do you have a link to back that up? I bet ya like 10% of the market will buy 25 or more games...any more and i would be very surprised.
    On your second point, that it is not a bad thing that the PSP is receiving ports/minor updates of PS2 games, I'd disagree. There is a huge distinction between the type of game that will be entertaining sitting on your sofa at home for a few hours and the type of game that you can pick up and dive into for 5 or 10 minutes on the bus, or queuing for tickets or whatever. Handhelds need games like Tetris and Warioware far more than they need Final Fantasy and GTA. This lazy porting of games (and it's not exclusively a PSP problem) isn't going to produce many games that'll be worth playing on the PSP, in my opinion.

That is an excellent point. Having said all that, I would still prefer having the choice. but hey that is just me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Where did you get that number from? If thats true then it's pretty much impossible for them to make a profit. I know they're selling at a loss but I seriously doubt it's that major. And if it is now remember that they're only beginning production, costs go down as production increases.

I really find it hard to see the PSP not being a success. It has a lot more games than the DS(and before somebody smugly states quality>quantity, PSP also has better quality games thus far. The only decent DS game out right now is Warioware, unless you count a direct port of a certain platform game from a decade old console that Nintendo will continue to milk far more than EA or any other company have ever milked any other gaming franchise), it has all the extra features of music and video playback, which I wouldn't be interested in but there is a market for them, it's a far more desirable gadget for people who go for that sort of thing, and Sony are throwing their full weight behind making it a success. The main thing the DS has going for it is that it's made by Nintendo and the touch screen, which should mean much more innovative games but there's been little evidence of that so far.

Upon googling, I can't actually find anything to back up that 25 games figure, I have no idea where I got it from. *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

how much will the new game boy be on sale for? cos paying 100+ euro for the ds seems a bit steep for me, god knows how much this one will be. will the new one play old game boy games too?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The new game Boy is just a rumour ATM with no details out so I wouldn't worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

now this deadly french ad. I wonder what they'll do for Europe.
    Am I retarded?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Am I retarded?

That did seem to be the consensus at the time, yes :)

Advertisement