Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Come on Ireland - Results.

• 27-02-2005 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ireland 19 - England 13. Go on the lads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Well Done to the guys, but still they were playing quite badly seeing as england were on such crap form?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

that was a bit tight near the end, bring on france.

off topic/ does anyone else sit down during 'Ireland's Call' after 'Amhán Na bhFiann'?

At home I'd sit down, but at the stadium, of course I'd stand, but by at home I mean like on my own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Don't agree with that Shrimp, I think England played well today and it was a massive effort by the Irish defence which won it for us.

Also I think Hickey should have got Man of the Match, it was his run that opened up England for our try and although O'Gara kicked well I think he missed a kickable penalty and I don't think it was the right decision to go for the drop goal that he missed. We had options to either side of him and there was a good chance we'd have got a try.

That DG he missed should have been a dead cert, I know he was clse to the english back row, but still.. Should have slotted it. I suppose you're right england did play well, and Ireland also defend well, to a degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Yeah although I don't think Ireland missed a tackle today England were bullying us around the fringes of the maul. Also the try that we gave away was a lapse in concentration that I don't we can afford against the likes of Wales/France.

Two more weeks for D'arcy to recovery, fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭[ Daithí ]

ferdi wrote:
    off topic/ does anyone else sit down during 'Ireland's Call' after 'Amhán Na bhFiann'?

Mmhmm. It's not our national anthem, so I don't stand for it. I always stand for and sing Amhrán Na bhFiann though. :)

Congrats to Ireland today. I thought they played very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

O'Gara had a mixed game, certainly wasn't the best player on the pitch aka man of the match....apart from the try Hickey barely featured (as was the tone of the game with the backlines), O'Drisscoll worked hard as ever, but man of the match for me was John Hayes. He worked harder than anyone on the pitch, and in a game of defences he had a stormer and made two try saving tackles, O'Connor made excellent turnovers and disrupted well, Murphy defended well also. As always, i wouldn't be happy with the performance...i still think we're capable of a lot more, even when the backs got going, there was to many basic errors made with passing etc. and i just hope we don't fall into the trap of over complicating things. Even in our lineout (the best in the cmpetition imo), we didn't stick to the basics which is what makes it the best, but was still a solid performance, and i'm very happy with the forwards who weren't bullied by the English, which was the winning of the game. Having said that, England had to much ball, which is an area we can improve, and if the French backline was out there we would have lost...even a very average English backline made far to many breaks. But credit to England...those 15 players could not have produced a better performance if they played that game a 100 times...Ireland are just a better side.
    Still waiting for Ireland to produce the performance they are capable of, especially as we are now in the serious part of this grand slam...two big performances and we'll get it. All in all, i don't think i can complain to much (although i did), 3 from 3, roll on France.

[rant]On a side note, glad to see the english havn't abandend their woodward/johnson tactics of bending the "less inforced" rules of the game, knowing they wont be sin binned for it, and 5 or 6 times out of 10 will get away with it, crooked feeds to scrum and lineouts, scrumhalf consistantly offside, and the abuse of the obstruction/offside rule. This was beautafully displayed by their try today...if you believe for one second that that "gap" was "just there" you must be insane...O'Gara was tackled off the ball, despite the fact England had the ball, and an English player came to the Irish side of the rook, and dragged O'Connor off the flank defence at the side, and then the English player broke for the line unapposed!! A disgracefull abuse of the rules of the game that England target every time, and always seem to get away with, wheter through intimidation of officials or what i don't know, but it makes it all the much sweeter to beat them, even when the rules don't apply to them. (I'll also never forgive dawson for taking away the European cup from Munster... with rugbys "hand of god" on stringer at the feed of the scrum! That ref and linesmen for that game should be shot along with Dawson :mad:) How has the english game gotten away with this for so many years, and when will it stop?[/rant]

it was Neil Back's "hand of God"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

:o sorry... you're right!
    I'm still mad though :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Are ball to the backs from set pieces and line-outs was way too slow. Although to be fair, we gave England a really hard time with slow ball aswell.
    Thought Foley had a great performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Munster lover but is always critical...
    Daveirl, you don't perchance go by the name G. Hook in real life do you? :)

Ah sure I was only jive talk' ya...
    Im not one of those people who assumes people who criticise a team hate it, in fact its usually the opposite, them wanting the best possible out of a give selection.

Completely picked up on that O' Driscoll comment as well, trying to be controversial. I usually just switch him off.
    What is his qualification to be a pundit anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

is anyone going to mention how poor the ref was today???? :p

Personally i think he cost the english the game today.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

was he not right about o'dricscolls kicking though?

and o'gara should of taken the DG, would of been stupid not too. Was it a poor pass or good rushing from moody which cause him to change feet?

tom mcgurk should be shoot. The chap doesnt know anything about rugby. He comes out with the stupidest of comments week after week. Its painfull having to listen to him. Not even gonna get started on ryle nugent.

shocking decision by the ref giving ireland the scrum in the last few minuestes when the player clearly corssed the line and was held up.

Thought he missed a few English knock-ons aswell.
    They only stick out in my mind though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Moody's running was excellent the whole game I thought, more than can be said for Robinson who just seems to be clueless now that people have copped how to deal with his game. I thought Foley should have been MOTM, as O'Gara made too many errors, although to be fair his two drops in the first half salvaged 6 points from nothing.
    I think the ref's obliviousness evened itself out over the two England tries (first given, last not).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

daveirl wrote:

No, he said that was O'driscolls only good kick. he point was people pick up on his good things,like that kick, but ignore the bad things, like the other 3 kicks he made which were poor according to george.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

A good win today. England put it up to them, but they held out. There are still two tough games ahead, but the Grand Slam is certainly still on.

Advertisement