Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airports

Options
  • 27-02-2005 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

This is a genuine question, do standard penis rings set off airport metal detectors?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jetpilot

Nope, well at least mine never has :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Well I was on a business trip to Frankfurt soon after 9/11 and went through the normal gate and there was no problem, BUT they ran the hand scanner over me after this and that did go off on my nipple piercing. The guy asked what it was and I told him and had to show him that it was a nipple piercing, I was happy at the time that I didn't have the PA yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Surgical steel will not set off the alarm i've been through the detectors of various airports with various cock rings!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

i've never set them off either..the agic wand never detected any either. people always just assume you set them off,silly bastids..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Went through the security gate with my eyebrow stud in and it never set off alarm so I can only assume a willy ring won't either.

Be embarrassing if ya had to show it though. LOL

• Advertisement

sickle wrote:
    i've never set them off either..the agic wand never detected any either. people always just assume you set them off,silly bastids..

The wand did go off on mine, make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

Blub2k4 wrote:
    The wand did go off on mine, make of that what you will.
    you are just special
    or maybe im the special one,hummmm

sickle wrote:
    you are just special
    or maybe im the special one,hummmm

What are you on about, he asked for an answer, I gave him my experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

everytime i go over to egland stansted the alarms go off and i get searched i say what i have pierced and they put the scanner thing and it beeps and they let me go.. it happened in work too(argos)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Mine don't go off at all. Never have. I remember an idiot security guard told me once when I was going through to put my hand over my metal belt to stop the alarm going off and it worked. Nice tip there. Can you hold my carpet cutter for a sec while I get my bag ? Cheers. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 villafan

So usually it doesnt?If it does.... :eek:

villafan wrote:
    So usually it doesnt?If it does.... :eek:

That's about it, they are professionals and with the amount of people pierced these days I think they must be getting used to it. In any case you showed your knob to a stranger to get it pierced, if you had to take it out for a guard at the airport it would not be that much different would it really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

i was asked to show my nipple and hood the first time it went off.. i had no problems and neither did the girl. it wasnt "oo let me see your gibblets" it was "right thats fine."
    over and done with

oo let me see your gibblets

right that's fine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

If I recall from my days of working in IBM, who have Metal Detecters on all the doors to the factory. The large Door like detectors. Will only go off over a certan level of metal. How ever I asume that in a airport they would be set to be more sensitive. The Wand Would be more focused than the Larger detecter. Think of it like a mini metal detecter that you sometimes see people with at the beach. So that more than likely would pick up something. But to be honest, They have privet areas for searches like this and after all, you did let some lad or lass touch it to pierce it... so what would be the problem with showing it to someone who is also doing the job. Also they have more than likely seen alot stranger stuff than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I don't think small amount of surgical steel will set it off.
    All my piercings are niobium, and for some reason never set off the detectors in Dublin airport, but flying out of Belfast or back from London and Edinburgh most recently, they DO set them off! Which is odd and a bit worrying :)

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

if surgical steel won't set them off (I have a plate and pins in my leg and it doesn't set it off either) then what's to stop terrorists making guns or knives out of surgical steel? Maybe a certain density of it will set it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I think it'd be a great excuse to get yer lad out at an airport =0)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Mine don't go off at all. Never have. I remember an idiot security guard told me once when I was going through to put my hand over my metal belt to stop the alarm going off and it worked. Nice tip there. Can you hold my carpet cutter for a sec while I get my bag ? Cheers. :rolleyes:
    It's probably a case of the majority of these systems having a low penetration through the skin and so being set to not go off because of sugical implants. For the standard piercings it's more likely down to size than the actual metal they're made out of, as you can make a weapon out of any alloy you choose it just might be less sharp (less of a concern with stabbing type implements)/more brittle.

Just looked on howstuff works and the 3 main types of metal detectors are:
    Very Low Frequency/Induction Balence - able to detect any metal and can in fact discriminate, telling you what metal the object probably is!. These can be set to not detect certain metals if they are of no interest.

Pulse Induction - can't discriminate between different metals very well. Has a higher penetration depth.

Beat Frequency Oscillator - cheap but inaccurate.

They all work by inducing currents in the metals and so magnetic fields, then detecting these fields and so will detect any highly conductive material, i.e. any metal. The most probable system for most airports is the VLF one, the ones which do go off for surgical steel are probably not calibrated to ignore it and the same applies for those that go off for small pieces of metal, such as eyebrow piercings, since the field strength should be dependent on both the conductivity of the metal and the size of the metal object.
    Pressing your hand against the metal would help ground it through you and so weaken the current induced and the magnetic field, this would be another reason for small piercings not to show up and possibly why the method in the above quote worked.

In case you feel curious:
    http://home.howstuffworks.com/metal-detector.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dondonjordan

very simple test

run a magnet over it

if it pulls you know it is a type of metal that can set the scanner off
    in that case it might not be enough metal to set the unit off as they look for a certain size

making a gun or a nife oult of a gramm of metal is kind of hard

if it doesn't pull it is surgical steel which is developed so it has no magnetic properties and won't disrupt natural magnetic signals in the body

• Advertisement
Advertisement