Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Ripwave sharing over WiFi

Options
  • 28-02-2005 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone give some help on this issue.
    I will greatly appreaciate it, thanks.

I have 2 computers linked together using wireless, and the network works perfectly, but for some reason my shared BB connection is'nt available, i dunno how to sort it out because I shared my Dial-up just to see if it worked (after I disco'd the BB modem) and it showed up on the client computer(my laptop). My head has been wrecked trying to sort it out, but does the ripwave modem only support having 1 computer connected to it, since it USB, or will a ethernet modem and a proper wireless router sort this out?
    Any ideas.

Thanks Again.

BTW: the laptop has XP SP2 while my modded :D desktop PC just has XP, does this have anything to do with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Have you tried a proxy solution? For quick setups I use WinProxy - www.winproxy.net, just set it up on the computer with the internet connection and set all applications on other PCs to use HTTP Proxy server. Address will be IP of internet machine and port is something like 3328 or something. Its in the readme of it.

A Proxy isn't the best solution though as some applications will not allow Proxys. If you prefer i'm sure you can buy your own Wifi equipment thats ethernet based and simply plug it into switch and go out as default gateway for every PC. Windows XP supports network bridging as well , for example bridge the USB device with your Ethernet card, but I amn't sure how that works and if you are getting assigned ips by DHCP there could be problems there.

Webmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

i use a wireless access point and it works fine.

Advertisement