Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloaded game - possible problem

Options
  • 28-02-2005 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭

I downloaded a large demo of the Half Life 2 game (700 + mbs) but haven't installed it yet. I ran the Norton av scanner and it is clear but what I notice is that when I right-click on the icon it takes about a minute for the details to appear.
    I also ran Spy-bot but nothing was found although being a novice I dont know if any of these anti-virus programmes can detect harmful items before they are actually installed.

is this something to worry about or would it be considered safe to install it.

I never had this problem before with large downloads although this is the first I've downloaded on to my new Pc which has the windows service pack 2.
    Perhaps this has something to do with it.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Where did you download it from?

If its a reputable place then it'll be okay.

As for why it takes so long, is it an .exe or .zip? if its a .zip it has to uncompress parts of it to find out how big everything is and then display it to you. This can also happen with .exe's, as they can just be self executing zip files.

Also, do you have much space left on your hard drive? That could slow things down a lot if you dont.

Just going by what you posted, I'd say go for it. Run a scan afterwards if you're still unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I got it from a link in http://www.vnunet.com/downloads/games.

I just checked again and it was downloaded from www2.ati.com
    The type stated is "application"

sorry, not sure as to how to find out the file type

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ati are graphics cards manufacturers, and are closely linked with half life 2, so in other words, go ahead and install it. Enjoy! :)

Advertisement