Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Good PC RPG??

Options
  • 28-02-2005 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

i've never really been into RPGs at all.The closest I've come is System Shock 2 or Golden Sun on the GBA or even to lesser extent adventure games such as the Zeldas on the N64 and Cube. I usually play FPS's and I'm just looking to broaden my gaming horizons by getting into an RPG. I don't want anything thats too heavily fantasy based cause i'm not really into it.I tried Deus Ex Invisible War but thought It was complete pants(i nearly dozed off in the cutscenes) anything anybody could recommend? Like i said i don't want anything too fantasy based which i know is kinda hard to find for an RPG. Ideally something kinda Adventure based like the Ocarina of Time but with more RPG elements would be perfect.(I was looking at Gothic II??) If anyone has any ideas that wud be great. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

If you have an X-box Fable sounds like it would be almost the exact thing that you're looking for.But on the PC like you asked Star Wars:Knights of The Old Republic one and two are both absolutely fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

RPG Alive is pretty good.

http://www.rpgalive.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The Elder Scrolls III : Morrowind is very good. It's a big free-roaming RPG played from a first person perspective. It's fantasy based alright, but coming from a FPS background it shouldn't be that hard to make the transition.

The 'Game of the Year' version comes with a couple of add-on packs aswell. There's also a shed-load of downloadable mods and other goodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Star wars: Knights of the old Republic is class, it also was game of the year, The second is out now but its developed by someone else dunno if the second is any good (still sitting in my gaff in wapper) but the first kicks ass. Its easy enough to play without having great experience in RPG's and the story is just amazing. Get it on play for less than €30 http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=PC&title=106528.
    Highly recommended.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i'd definatly recommend knights of the old republic, followed by the sequel. its easy to play, and has a good story. i'd say you should try that before morrowind, cause even though its a brilliant game, its very big and would be like throwing someone in at the deep deep of rpg's.

or if you liked system shock 2, you'd probably like deus ex. more fps then rpg, but still brilliant. stay away from the second one though, cause its a pile of ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Morrowind was my first real introduction to RPG's actually. It took me a couple of attempts to get into it, but once I did it wasn't too difficult to keep on going / stay interested.

Must check out KotoR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

never got into morrowind myself.

i'd recommend KOTOR followed by Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
    i'm no RPG fan, but these games kept me interested (Perhaps less so with vampires... but you can pick it up for next to nothing in Game at the moment)

/edit
    just read your full post... get beyond good and evil right now!
    a heavily zelda influenced game. but still great in its own right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

You could also try Neverwinter Nights. Its getting on now a bit but its still excellent. You can get a gold or platinum edition that has the two expansions (shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark). Excellent story in all of them and lots of combat and adventure. It should also last you quite a long time and there are lots of multiplayer options online (persistant worlds, online campaigns, etc). Shouldnt cost that much now either, i think you can get the big pack for around 30e. Its a DnD game but the manual that comes with it explains the mechanics pretty well.

Also, in the line of older RPGs out there, some games that you could look out for are:
    Baldurs Gate 1 & 2
    Planescape Torment
    Icewind Dale 1 & 2
    Fallout 1, 2 & Tactics

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

If you dont mind giving up your social life etc, you could try an MMORPG, there are loads, most are crap, but there are a few worth trying out, World of Warcraft broke all the records, City of Heroes was good, if a bit repetetive (not fantasy based), and EQ2 is probably OK, havent played it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If you want old games.

System Shock 2
    No one lives forever 2 (In HARMS way).
    Anachronox
    Thief 2
    Neverwinter Nights.
    Baulders Gate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

ah i remember anachronox. funniest game i've ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

also have a look at vampire the masquerade: bloodlines.

Very good game, great story and atnosphere but a bit buggy and a system hog. Well worth it though.

Ran ok on an xp2400, 512mb ram and a 9800.

From my friends experiances it doesn't run very well on geforce 4s.

Also have a look out for gothic 2. Very rare and hard to find and like bloodlines has it's performance issues and bugs but well worth playing if you find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Neverwinter Nights is a great 'traditional' rpg with elves, dwarves, magic etc etc.

The original Deus Ex is the game I'd probably recommend to you if I could only make one suggestion though. The sequel doesn't compare in any way to it's brilliance. The engine (a modified version of the original Unreal engine iirc) shows it's age now, but you don't notice it once you get into the fantastic story and gameplay. There's a Game of the Year version kicking about for probably less than €10 that comes with the latest patch, or you can just grab the original here and patch it yourself.

It'll be the best €7.50 you ever spent on a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Moriarty wrote:
    The original Deus Ex is the game I'd probably recommend to you if I could only make one suggestion though. The sequel doesn't compare in any way to it's brilliance. The engine (a modified version of the original Unreal engine iirc) shows it's age now, but you don't notice it once you get into the fantastic story and gameplay. There's a Game of the Year version kicking about for probably less than €10 that comes with the latest patch, or you can just grab the original here and patch it yourself.

It'll be the best €7.50 you ever spent on a game.

id have to agree, certainly one of the best games ive played on a pc if not the best

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Id definitly reccomend Gothic 2 - its a very underated game, but I prefered it over Morrowind :| Combat system takes a bit of getting used to from a RPGers point of view as you retain control in combat and you tend to become a better fighter from learning how to time your blows and to watch out for the tricks of opposing monsters. The game is far more immersive as well, as the world has its own routine - people go to bed, go to work, go to the pub or to pray...small touch but its scary no one else has ever thought to do it before. In other games the town is static, day or night, rain or shine.

To be continued...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I'm a big fan of Fallout 1/2 & the Baldur's Gate series myself, so shall throw my hat into the ring with them on it.

I've got Vampire: The Masqurade - Bloodlines but not installed it yet so wont comment on that although I've watched my g/f playing it on her laptop and it looks sweet.

KOTOR is also really cool, although I find myself getting sucked more and more into StarWars: Galaxies (MMO RPG).

Might I also recommend the original Dues Ex.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Fallout 1&2
    KOTOR1&2
    best rpgs ive played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

TES: Morrowind, easily one of the best RPGs on the PC. Theres just so much freedom, it can be a little daunting at times though but you'll learn to get by. Id hold out on getting morrowind for the time being as Oblivion is out soon. Get Kotor 1&2 to pass the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Goodshape wrote:
    The Elder Scrolls III : Morrowind is very good. It's a big free-roaming RPG played from a first person perspective. It's fantasy based alright, but coming from a FPS background it shouldn't be that hard to make the transition.

The 'Game of the Year' version comes with a couple of add-on packs aswell. There's also a shed-load of downloadable mods and other goodies.

second that, however Elder Scrolls IV is coming out soon so you might wnat to wait for that as the game take a good while to complete.

KOTOR is good too

Suppose Final Fantasy VII could be an option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Definitely Baldur's Gate I and II, even if you're not that interested in the whole wizards and warriors type RPG's, the storyline and longevity of each game is definitely worth it.
    They're probably out on budget at this stage too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

RPG Alive is pretty good.

http://www.rpgalive.com/

what in god's name?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

RPG-Alive is a unique tool designed to save your company a tremendous amount of time in maintaining and developing iSeries 400 or AS/400 applications. It magnifies the skills of RPG programmers. With minimal investment, your company can start developing better applications a lot faster!

Its a game where you roleplay as a programmer obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Baldur's Gate II is one of the greatest games EVER. Anyone ever play Wizardry 8? Fairly nifty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

ya i def agree with ye about the 2nd deus ex, i tried to sit thru it on 3 seperate occassions and i HATED it.complete pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Yuri

Baldur's Gate = very good

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Morrowind is alright - I think the landscape is a bit too chaotic to be immersive - theyre cramming so many towns and architecture styles into a relatively small space. That said, the Ashlander interior is very impressive - it defines the game for me with the dust storms hurtling down the narrow canyons.

I think its got problems - the journal is a joke, the cryptic/nonsensical directions you get for quests are most of the challenge, and a lot of the guild quests dont *fit* - for the fighters guild youre given a lot of "go to X in such and such a town, persuade them to give you Y, if you cant steal/kill them." To complete the quests without being hunted down by the guards you need to have an extremely high ability to persuade and compliment others which doesnt fit with the skill set your average fighter might expect to train in.

And you can really give yourself an immense step up early on if youre able to run into the dangerous inner lands early on (its my first stop after the initial village), steal the glass armour and sell it to the talking crab = hundreds of thousands of gp = easy controlled skilling to maximise stat boost each level. My biggest problem ended up running between trainers as I levelled exponentially - it gets boring:|

The game makes you laugh though, those souped up boots of leaping just outside of the initial village are introduced in a way that cant not make you laugh. Id still reccomend Gothic 2 over it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

Knights of the old republic 1 and 2 are both excellent

I hated vampire bloodlines tbh...it ran horribly too...

Fable is a bit of a no brainer RPG imo...good game nonetheless...not anywhere near what its cracked up to be tbh...

I think its safe to say that KOTOR is the daddy of easy going RPG's

Advertisement