Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chat app

Options
  • 28-02-2005 11:26am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I want to get my hands on a decent chat app for my site. The site currently is using conquer chat, an ASP driven one but this seems to crash at midnight for some reason (also I don't like it!!!).
    I don't really mind whether the new one is flash or java based. However, most of the ones I found were paid for (there is a budget of €0 for this!). Also I want it so that I can have a username variable passed directly to the app from the rest of my site so that the users cannot choose their own chat username.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Have you tried www.hotscripts.com - they do a lot of free apps

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I did Mr. Moderator.
    Most want payment, others need an exe file on the server (not an option I expect) and many of the others aren't suitable for internet newbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It might help if you told us which server-side languages you had access to

oops
    ASP & PHP with both MSSQL & MySQL available if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

• Advertisement

cheers Michele - I only looked up the Java & Flash ones on hotscripts. I'll give it a try but am hesitant to try another ASP app due to the problem at midnight Im currently having.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

kbannon wrote:
    am hesitant to try another ASP app due to the problem at midnight Im currently having.

why do you turn into a werewolf?

see, even a Mod can have a sense of humour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Do you know what sort of error happens? If its happening every day at midnight then its a hardware / configuration issue.

Ph3n0m wrote:
    why do you turn into a werewolf?

see, even a Mod can have a sense of humour :)
    there was humour in your post??? :D

Seriously though, the chap app crashes at midnight every night for some reason and i really couldn't be bothered searching the source code to find out why as Im not particularly font of conquer anyway.

I incorporated that application into the site (site is based on the Web Wiz Forums) and so far there has been no hanging like the previous one.
    Cheers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement