Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

tax and no insurance

Options
  • 28-02-2005 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hi,

I have 3 cars at the mo.

My Primera is just sitting on the driveway with no insurance. I have the Merc and the Fiesta insured.

The Primeras tax was due at the end of Jan, so I was going to pay online today but I can't as I have no insurance on it!

Thing is somebody has agreed to buy the Fiesta but it will be tomorrow at the earliest before it happens, so I will have gone over 1 month overdue and owe a fee on the tax.

What is the normal situation here. Can I declare the car off the road since X months ago. I doubt I will get road tax back (!) but maybe avoid this one month overdue fee???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Why tax the Primera if you're not going to use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Paul (MN) wrote:
    Hi,

I have 3 cars at the mo.

My Primera is just sitting on the driveway with no insurance. I have the Merc and the Fiesta insured.

The Primeras tax was due at the end of Jan, so I was going to pay online today but I can't as I have no insurance on it!

Thing is somebody has agreed to buy the Fiesta but it will be tomorrow at the earliest before it happens, so I will have gone over 1 month overdue and owe a fee on the tax.

What is the normal situation here. Can I declare the car off the road since X months ago. I doubt I will get road tax back (!) but maybe avoid this one month overdue fee???

You're not required to tax your vehicle unless you're using it in a public place. I assume you're selling the Fiesta, and transferring the insurance to the Primera?
    So you just fill in the "Declaration of non-use" bit on the motor tax form (you won't be able to do it online afaik) for the months it's been unused, get it signed by a Garda, and stick it into the motor tax office along with your updated insurance cert when you get it.

If you want to pay online, you'll have to pay for the month(s) it wasn't used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

seamus wrote:
    You're not required to tax your vehicle unless you're using it in a public place. I assume you're selling the Fiesta, and transferring the insurance to the Primera?
    So you just fill in the "Declaration of non-use" bit on the motor tax form (you won't be able to do it online afaik) for the months it's been unused, get it signed by a Garda, and stick it into the motor tax office along with your updated insurance cert when you get it.

If you want to pay online, you'll have to pay for the month(s) it wasn't used.
    This is correct - fill the form and pop in the post.

You won't get tax back unless you scrap the car and even then it is harder than getting planning permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

cool thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭AlisonB

am i missing something - why are you worried about the tax on the fiesta if someone is going to buy it .. ? are they not responsible for taxing it from the day they buy it - in which case the one month it wasn't taxed is not an issue?
    Apologies if i got the story wrong ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

AlisonB,

I'll be overdue on the Primera, not the Fiesta :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

How much are you getting for the Fiesta, Paul?

Advertisement