Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get broadband? Can't even get ISDN

Options
  • 28-02-2005 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

I posted a while back in the broadband horror stories thread about a business that I know of that can't get broadband. It was suggested to me that the business go for ISDN and then upgrade to broadband at a later stage.

The business is a home office, with three lines - two voice and one fax line. I suggested they upgrade the fax line as the voice lines are connected to some form of internal PBX. Eircom laughed at the notion of the business requesting broadband and are now scoffing at the business requesting a 1970's technology "upgrade" to ISDN.

The Eircom engineer confirmed the line is split three ways and that there is no capacity for an upgrade (presumably at the exchange level?). I should also point out that the neighbours (15 feet away) have broadband.

What options have they? Any point in banging my head off the brick wall that is Comreg?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

tom dunne wrote:
    I should also point out that the neighbours (15 feet away) have broadband.

What options have they?

Get a wireless broadband router for the neighbours (the neighbours might already have one) and a wireless ethernet bridge, PCI card or PC card. Ask the neighbours to share the broadband line and cost, or offer to pay the full cost and share the line.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Get a wireless broadband router for the neighbours (the neighbours might already have one) and a wireless ethernet bridge, PCI card or PC card. Ask the neighbours to share the broadband line and cost, or offer to pay the full cost and share the line.

P.

Yeah that's your best option. Up your neighbours cap or pay the bill and go wireless from him if he's willing. If your going this way though make sure to fully secure (well as much as you can!) the network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Dingatron wrote:
    If your going this way though make sure to fully secure (well as much as you can!) the network.

The internet is considered to be an inherently insecure network, hence information that does need to be secure (e-commerce, online banking, etc) gets encrypted anyway. It will be more than sufficient to use the broadband routers built in security.

P.

I'm talking about the wireless end of things. Using WEP, locking mac addresses etc. Wireless is not the securest form of network media and if running it in a business environment should be as secure as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Dingatron wrote:
    if running it in a business environment should be as secure as possible.

Yes, I had considered sharing with the neighbour, but the people who run the business (my in-laws) are not too comfortable with this. They would like to keep business and neighbours as seperate as possible. I did explain how the neighbours would not be able to see what they are doing, but bear in mind these are not technically minded people.

They are running a business - they want to pay a service provider that will give them internet access faster than 16k, nice and simple.

Or so we thought.

• Advertisement

Where are you based? Satellite or wireless may still be an option from a different provider although more costly.

Leixlip.

I don't think any of the wireless operators provide a service in Leixlip yet, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Aren't IBB doing a trial in conjunction with Intel of WiMax in Leixlip?

Yes, but it's mainly a PR stunt to provide broadband to the library in Leixlip.

It is not available to Joe Public.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The fact you are beside Intel can be leveraged. Mail the boss, phil.nolan@eircom.ie , and tell him you want ISDN for a business . If he refuses (by email) then its open season in the media.

• Advertisement

Ironically, the company actually supplies Intel, well some of it's contractors.

Do you really think he is going to respond to e-mail? Why would the likes of him give a damn?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

How well have you done with his customer care ?

He always responds to email (delegated to escalations managers)

Sponge Bob wrote:
    How well have you done with his customer care ?

ROFL, customer care. Been getting several different stories:
    "Don't be silly, of course you have three seperate lines"
    "Broadband? In Leixlip? There should be no reason for you not to be able to get broadband"
    "We will do you a special deal - you will get two ISDN lines, but we will only charge you line rental for one"
    "No, sorry. Can't upgrade those lines 'cos you really only have one and they are split"
    Sponge Bob wrote:
    He always responds to email (delegated to escalations managers)

I have heard this before, but to be honest, I am quite cynical. Then again, what have I got to lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

either get sat broadband, or connect the neighbours to iols business package with unlimited downloads and pay for the whole thing. u can install netlimiter to maintain 1/2 of the up/down speed for yourself. the business packages are faster than 512 anyway.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Request a new 4th line. Was there not some motion passed, where all new lines must not be pair-gained? Then after the 4th is installed, disconnect the Fax line perhaps?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

byte wrote:
    Request a new 4th line. Was there not some motion passed, where all new lines must not be pair-gained? Then after the 4th is installed, disconnect the Fax line perhaps?
    Apparently it doesn't work that way. However I've seen it suggested that it's a good idea to make it clear that the new line is being ordered specifically for broadband, in that it won't guarantee that the line will be suitable, but you'll have a better chance of challenging it later if it isn't. Presumably consumer law has a part to play here ("not fit for the purpose for which it was required", or suchlike).

adam

The engineer said that there was no capacity for another line, so doesn't look like that is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Where abouts in Leixlp are you based? I'm in Leixlip, and I have broadband, so does my mate, who is also in Leixlip.

Ryevale Lawns - don't get me started, I know it's available, as I said above, the neighbours have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

Place a formal order for a new line. Even if engineer said there was no capacity force them to formally acknowledge that they are unable to provide a phone line in Leixlip or maybe as sometimes happens capacity may suddenly appear (oh there's another 24 pairs in this cable we had reserved for xyz).

• Advertisement
Advertisement