Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax question

Options
  • 28-02-2005 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, going to pick up new car tmrw, the tax is out today, am i right in thinking i cant tax it until the change of ownership goes thro?

Will that be a valid excuse if im stopped? whats the penalty for no tax?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

it is very valid I'm driving my new car since tuesday and until you get the change of ownership back there is nothing that can be done because you will have to pay backdated either way so your covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

if you bring the ownership document with you to the motor tax office you can tax it at the same time as you change the ownership. expect to queue a bit though. but you'll get your disc there and then.

BTW you'll also need your insurance and NCT documents with you in to fill the forms out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If you're getting it from a garage, ask them to tax it for you. Otherwise, just keep the reciept for the car handy to show to any garda, they're usually ok and will give you the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Carry the receipt you got with the sale, or something to show the car is in the process of ownership transfer - show this to the plod and he will wave you on your way (usually). It is an offence to use a vehicle in a public place without a valid disc displayed, but it would take a pure b4st4rd to do you for not having a disc in your first two weeks of ownership. You have two weeks to show documents at your local plod station.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I bought my current car from a garage and they gave me a slip of paper to put in the tax disc holder. It was basically a receipt stamped by the garage showing the date of sale. I just waited for the registration document to arrive and then went to the tax office to get the disc. I think it was about two weeks before the reg document arrived so there isn't anything you can do about not having the tax disc. In any event, you'll be paying your tax from the beginning of the month in which you bought the car, so you're not exactly dodging the tax unless you never pay up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As the others have already said just get a note stamped by the garage stating that the car has just been bought.

P.S. don't park it on a street around town in a meter or disc zone as a traffic warden can issue a fine for not displaying a current tax disc. You can go down and prove your case but it is unneccessary hassel, best use a car park until your new disc arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

wasabi wrote:
    BTW you'll also need your insurance and NCT documents with you in to fill the forms out.
    I don't think you need these to tax a car any more, just your insurance policy number - but correct me if i'm wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Another tip: put the date of the sale as tomorrow (March 1st), That way you avoid paying a full months tax over February!!

Advertisement