Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keane court case

• 28-02-2005 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Footballer 'frightened teenager'
    Manchester United captain Roy Keane grabbed a frightened teenager around the neck after the youngster swore at him, a court heard on Monday.

Mr Keane also shouted at him and swung a punch at the 16-year-old, his fist stopping just before his face, Trafford Magistrates' Court was told.

He denies a charge of criminal damage after snapping the youngster's chain near his Greater Manchester home.

He also denies assault and a public order offence on 4 September 2004.

'Hand gesture'

The two had clashed after the young student had been riding his moped with a friend near Mr Keane's £1.4m mansion in Hale.

Mr Keane, an Irish international, had been walking his dogs near his home when the boy beeped his horn to acknowledge the star, the court heard.

As the teenager and his friend passed the footballer, Mr Keane swung out with his walking stick.

The teenager drove past and turned round to make a gesture with his hand towards the footballer.

A few weeks later the youngster was on his moped again with a friend visiting a house across the road from Mr Keane's home, the court was told.

Mr Keane was in his garden but came over to approach the pair. The court was shown a video recording of an interview the youngster gave to police after the second incident.

The boy told police he was sat on his bike when he noticed the footballer walking towards him.

"I felt a bit like, 'God, what's going to happen now'", the boy told officers.

He said Mr Keane asked why he had sworn at him.

The teenager said he replied: "Because you nearly hit me; you swung for me with your walking stick.

"He walked up to me and I'm not sure what he said next; he was being a bit aggressive.

"The next thing he did was swing at my face with his right fist. He said, 'that's nearly hitting you'. I flinched backwards."

The trial is expected to last two days.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

fair play to Keane, sounds like a typical scumbag who had someone stand up to them for once and ran back to their mammy.

I'm sure the fact that he has the potential to win thousands in "mental and emotional" damages has nothing to do with the fact that instead of putting a brick though Keanes window as he would with anyone else who dared stand up to him, he brought him to court instead...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm not convinced of this at all. I remember reading the papers when this first broke and a lot of it was the kids mother going on about how great her little angel was and how the big brute just ran over and kicked lumps out of him as he was delivering meals on wheels to oap's type of stuff.

I reckon if it did happen like the kid says then keane would know its open and shut and would have been advise as such by his lawyers. The result would have been either face the music in court or throw a few quid at the kid, at which point the kid would have bee overjoyed. Instead he's never even hinted at admitting liability.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It is a wonder the young lad can walk with all the "bling bling" he wears around his neck!
    I would be suprised if anything comes out of this, bit of a case of "lets see what we can rip out of the rich guy"

Will be interesting though, Keane is no angel either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Best laugh was that he cant be named on any of the radio stations because he is so young but is in every newspaper after selling his story....scumbag....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Don't really see the problem with wanting to give a bigmouth teenage chav a slap

Laws an ass :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The Traitor is on the record as saying "Watch your mouth! I've told you I'm not a w@nker"

Oh yeah I can really picture him responding to a jibe of 'w@nker' from a smart arsed teenage chav in that calm almost fawning manner :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Keano not guilty - shock horror

Should take that Chav outside and give him a few pucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

All charges dropped after the teen's friend gave evidence to contradicting the prosecuting story.

I guess we'll never know what happened. Could have all been made up or perhaps someone sweetened the friend. Who knows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Seemingly the charges have been dropped, can't see a report online yet, but the story on the Guardian Website

Guardian Story

says he was charged with criminal damage, to the princely sum of STG£2.99.

Staggering

I reckon it all happened but at the end of the day it was just one persons word against another so it was never gonna stick. I actually believed The Traitor was being stitched up until hadn't done anything, that was until I heard that ridiculous 'i am not a w@nker' statement of his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

yop wrote:
    Keano not guilty - shock horror

Aye he was on to a loser when his best friend testified that they had gone there with the intention of annoying keano. Not the first to come off the worst for tackling Keano.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The young lad changed so many claims that there was no way he was going to win. He said the chain had been passed down from his grandmother and was had a lot of sentimental value. He then changed it to his girlfriend bought it for him. :rolleyes: Gerry Ryan slated the young lad to bits before Keane was even found not guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Keane certainly wasnt wearing his "clever hat" on the second day he came across the lad, but still the most surprising thing to me is that the police and crown prosection decided the case was worth bringing to trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Pigman II wrote:
    The Traitor is on the record as saying "Watch your mouth! I've told you I'm not a w@nker"

Oh yeah I can really picture him responding to a jibe of 'w@nker' from a smart arsed teenage chav in that calm almost fawning manner :rolleyes:
    Thats not the exact quote, full story here:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/03/01/story191570.html

Best bit is the last few lines:
    Mr McNaught said: “This 16-year-old youth a few weeks ago calls you a wanker. You have gone across to speak to him and he wouldn’t answer your question. Then he called you a wanker again. Just a little bit angry?”

“Just a touch,” Keane replied.
    :D
    “I walked towards him and asked him if he gave me a hand gesture a couple of weeks earlier,” Keane said.

“I just wanted to ask him to see if it was him and ask why he had done it.

“He said along the lines of ’you tried to knock me off my bike’.
    Oh yeah, Keane just decided one day to attempt to knock a stranger off his bike for the craic. :rolleyes:

ha hardly surprising the way this one ended. Bloody chavs, they get their own show on sky one once, now they think they have the run of the place. :)

eirebhoy wrote:
    Thats not the exact quote, full story here:
    The tone is still exactly the same. They’re trying to sell it as though it was the case of The Traitor calming talking to some journalist in order clear up the facts on an article before it went to press, rather than of him trying to intimidate some young clueless chav in order to get even on some petty incident that was clearly bugging him.

Anyway, WTF does he care if some fool kid thinks he’s a w@nker? I mean he only has to go to play an away game to get 30,000+ people saying exactly the same about him. Is he gonna now take umbrage with each and every one of them too?

I’m surprised his legal team didn’t try to make up their bull**** testimony as…

Defendant account:
    “Excuse my young sir! Do you remember our encounter last week where you accused me of being ‘a gentleman of base social habits’? Well *chuckle* call me
    worry-wart but it’s been on my mind for the past couple of days now and I hoped to meet you again to take the opportunity to set the record straight. So, since we’re both here now I would just like to make it abundantly clear that I am not, to use your hip youth-speak, ‘a w@anker’. Why I even have a wife and four beautiful children if to prove it lol. Anyway, now that that’s cleared up I shall bid you adieu. Good day to you sir and toodle pip! Btw watch yourself.”

Judge : “And what exactly did you mean by ‘watch yourself?’”

Defendant : “Oh, lol, I merely meant for him to take care. The affluent streets of Hale are not to be walked lightly by youngsters such as he. Why I’ve heard horror stories of children accidentally tripping over large wads of discarded £20 notes and getting a nasty graze on their knee for their troubles! Shocking stuff”

Judge : “You are a model citizen and a wonderful human being. Case dismissed”

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

yop wrote:

yea, but keane was found not guilty so we cant do that to him. shame

:D

I like the way that in the recent cases of rape allegations the attitude has been almost completely one sided after the incidents were resolved of " bloody bitches trying to get money out of innocent people" but because of certain peoples bias towards Keane theres an element of "he got away with it".

He didnt do anything of the sort that the kid was coming out with , and was cleared of all charges, so it all smacks of kid and/or parents trying to get money out of a rich and amous footballer (and OUR rich and famous footballer at that, the bastids :) )

Stekelly wrote:
    I like the way that in the recent cases of rape allegations the attitude has been almost completely one sided after the incidents were resolved of " bloody bitches trying to get money out of innocent people" but because of certain peoples bias towards Keane theres an element of "he got away with it".

He didnt do anything of the sort that the kid was coming out with , and was cleared of all charges, so it all smacks of kid and/or parents trying to get money out of a rich and amous footballer (and OUR rich and famous footballer at that, the bastids :) )

probaly cos keane has a history of trouble, and being a chav himself.

If any of the other footballer in the various rape cases, and had previous for rape, then i dont everyone would be so one-sided.

Keith Gillespie hasnt exactly got a squeky clean reputation now has he, there have been a few drunken incidents in his past iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

No fan of Keano, but it's clear this Chav was only out to make a fast Buck. Judge seems to have damned him (the little Chav) as a liar for his troubles.

Stekelly wrote:
    Keith Gillespie hasnt exactly got a squeky clean reputation now has he, there have been a few drunken incidents in his past iirc.

yea, but he doesnt have a history of sexual assualts. Just drunken fights. I am sure if keane was charged with rape, alot of people would think its was just another "mooney grabbing" incident.

Advertisement