Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions - Punto

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Girlfriend got a (seemingly mint condition) 00 1.25 Punto just over a year ago. Started having temperature problems very soon (as said above, no gauge). Head gasket replaced at about 33k miles. I'd swear there's something still wrong with it as coolant seems to disappear at an alarming rate. Recently exhaust fumes seem to be leaking into the car as well! Would avoid to be honest....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I drove a 97 that suffered mainly from me driving it into the ground.

Electrics were definitely dodgy though. Rear windscreen wiper had stopped working, checked it out, and water had gotten into the circuit board that controlled the motor, shorting it. Soldered a bodge in place and it worked fine for a few weeks before giving up altogether, and I couldn't find out what was wrong that time.

Brake lights bulbs kept blowing, like every 6 weeks. Fuses kept blowing, again every 6 weeks or so.

Funnily enough, long cruises were where the car was happiest. 60mph+ for long periods, and the car was much smoother and happier than city traffic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Better not mention Ladas or Polskies here then :D:D:D:D:D

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Had a 00 elx punto until 2004 and did 92,000 miles. Only ever let me down once with a blown head gasket (repair cost 280 euro including the tow). It did 50 mpg, a service every 10,000 cost me 100 euro or so, brakes once ? and tyres once 300 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭lilulila

I would buy the punto. I bought a 03 punto last month and it is absolutly brilliant. This is my second fiat in a row also they have a bad rep but as long as you keep it well serviced and looked after there should be no probs. Make sure you get a full service history when buying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement