Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next United GoalKeeper - Do United Need One!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

casilllas would never leave real for utd. i think given has to be up their with the best of the realistic options. him and robinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

given will have another 6 years as top class probaly. Not a chance you will get casilas for 20-25, morel ike over 30. Also i doubt he would leave real for united.
    Over 30? Don't be ridiculous. No offence. Keepers do not go for more than outfield players. Casillas is a great keeper, no doubt. But Rooney and Beckham both went for less than 30 M. One was an 18 y/o centre forward, the other the most marketable footballer on the planet. To say Casillas would go for more than 30, well no offence but that's laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PHB wrote:
    I dont think Given isn't a great keeper, but he doesnt represent value for money.
    He'll cost like 15-20 mill because Newcaslte love him so much, and he is 30 years old, with a max of 4 more years on him as a top class keeper ith no resale value.
    Given is 28 (almost 29), Buffon is 27. Given would cost 7-10 mil max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=260123&cpid=21&CLID=&lid=2&title=Frey:+I+will+leave+Parma&channel=Football_Home

Frey is planning on leaving Parma and said he would like to go to United, that's enough for me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Silly me, I thought he was 30, going by Champ Manager for ages as always :)
    None the less, he'd be 29 when joining.
    He wouldn't cost 7-10 max because if United wanted him, it would at least go up to 15 million, because well thats how business is done if you're united.
    He is a one man defense for newcastle, and highly rated by SOuness.
    It would be tough for him to find a replacement that good for teh price that Given would command. Thus he will be worth a lot of money, especially if Arsenal get involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Over 30? Don't be ridiculous. No offence. Keepers do not go for more than outfield players. Casillas is a great keeper, no doubt. But Rooney and Beckham both went for less than 30 M. One was an 18 y/o centre forward, the other the most marketable footballer on the planet. To say Casillas would go for more than 30, well no offence but that's laughable.

what about buffon?! Casillas would cost more then buffon possibly, due to his young age. It certainly isnt laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Buffon went to for juventus for over 30 million a few years ago. Casillas would cost more because he's younger, better and Real have no need to sell him. They'd be stupid to sell him as he saves them on so many occasions. I don't think anyone could realistically buy Casillas. I think Buffon might be get-able though. It would take a fair bit of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

David19 wrote:
    Buffon went to for juventus for over 30 million a few years ago. Casillas would cost more because he's younger, better and Real have no need to sell him. They'd be stupid to sell him as he saves them on so many occasions. I don't think anyone could realistically buy Casillas. I think Buffon might be get-able though. It would take a fair bit of money.
    Yes, Buffon went a few years ago for more. That was before the transfer market imploded. As I said, Beckham, went for £25 Million. He is far from the best footballer in the world, but he is worth the most to any club, due to his image and worldwide profile. You would not get more than for him, for a keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Yes, Buffon went a few years ago for more. That was before the transfer market imploded. As I said, Beckham, went for £25 Million. He is far from the best footballer in the world, but he is worth the most to any club, due to his image and worldwide profile. You would not get more than for him, for a keeper.

Yeah fair enough that the transfer market isn't quite as crazy as it was but top players still cost lots of money. It hasn't changed much at the top end of the market. Beckham was worth considerably more than 25 million due to his marketability. Madrid couldn't believe how much United wanted.
    I'd argue that goalkeepers are worth at least the same if not more than midfielders as top class goalkeepers are harder to find than top class midfielders. How much would schmeichel be worth now if he was just hitting his prime? He saved a huge number of points every season for United, just like casillas does for Real.

• Advertisement
Advertisement